Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* or Dish

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   twodutys

twodutys

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

My two years will be up next month with D*. Should I stay or move to Dish? I'm looking for MRV in HD and price. Who do you think will be the best company to go with.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Neither company has what you're asking for at this point so you might as well flip a coin if it's just based on this. There is information out there about what one company is doing in the future but I don't know about the other.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

My two years will be up next month with D*. Should I stay or move to Dish? I'm looking for MRV in HD and price. Who do you think will be the best company to go with.

Whoever (or is it whomever) you want. Research & make a choice.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   twodutys

twodutys

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

Neither company has what you're asking for at this point so you might as well flip a coin if it's just based on this. There is information out there about what one company is doing in the future but I don't know about the other.

Which company is at least planning in the future for MRV? D* keeps dropping there plans. Twice now.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

If price is the issue, you're going to do much better taking a new customer deal from Dish. Two years down the road you will be able to switch back and probably get a new customer deal from another provider.

As for technology...unless it's released and working don't bet on it. DirecTV's MRV could be released in a couple of months, dropped like their Windows tuners or be in beta for years like Mediashare. Remember they first announced that MRV was coming back in 2005.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:52 AM

If price is the issue, you're going to do much better taking a new customer deal from Dish.

Maybe, and maybe not. He'd be losing his investment in any advanced receivers that he already has, and may need to pay to get equivalent receivers from Dish. If you add up ALL the costs, switching providers rarely saves money, and IMO should only be done for other reasons, such as programming.

#7 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

You would have to go U-Verse or FIOS for MRV. As for who will have it out soon. My money is on Directv to have MRV sooner than Dish.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Maybe, and maybe not. He'd be losing his investment in any advanced receivers that he already has, and may need to pay to get equivalent receivers from Dish. If you add up ALL the costs, switching providers rarely saves money, and IMO should only be done for other reasons, such as programming.

It would depend on his setup, but in most cases he is going to get a free/low cost setup including an HD DVR and substantial programming discounts. At the present time Dish also offers more programming tiers so he may find one that is lower priced than the two that DirecTV offers.

It's worth a look.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

Unless you're in a big rush to leave DirecTV why not wait until D12 goes active and see what HD they add and the state of the DVR software then decide?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   twodutys

twodutys

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Unless you're in a big rush to leave DirecTV why not wait until D12 goes active and see what HD they add and the state of the DVR software then decide?

Sounds good I will wait for D*.

#11 OFFLINE   twodutys

twodutys

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

This is true I called Dish and all they had to offer without paying is two dvrs with secondary outputs via coax or composit. Which with a three level house with only one run of coax to all but the Home theater this option wouldn't work unless I wanted to run coax on the outside of the house. Which I won't do. At least with D* I have seperate receivers at all locations. So Dish is already out of the picture.

#12 OFFLINE   burtom

burtom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

This is true I called Dish and all they had to offer without paying is two dvrs with secondary outputs via coax or composit. Which with a three level house with only one run of coax to all but the Home theater this option wouldn't work unless I wanted to run coax on the outside of the house. Which I won't do. At least with D* I have seperate receivers at all locations. So Dish is already out of the picture.

The system uses one coax to the receiver and that same coax is used to send the signal back to the point of origin to be distributed.
DaBurt

#13 OFFLINE   bubba gump

bubba gump

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

I can't believe that there is nothing being posted about HD locals being launched in Beckley- Bluefield DMA yesterday 9-30-09 by Directv and DishNetwork has lock jaw and not doing a damn thing to get there customers locals in this DMA. Have sent several e-mails to the CEO and like always no answer and putting it bluntly they just don't care about there customers in this area. I hope everyone cancels service with them and goes to Directv like I am and when Dish employees start losing there jobs and Ergen starts losing money then someone might wake up.

#14 OFFLINE   JimDaddy

JimDaddy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

After over 6 years with DishNet, I switched to DTV because switching was cheaper than upgrading. I sell and install both so I got commission and installation pay by switching. If I had it to do again, I would stay with Dish. My wife is mad at me and we both hate everything about DTV. I believe it is mostly an individual preference as to which someone thinks is best but I have found the user interface (menus, etc.) much more friendly with DishNet. If you want a small program package, DishNet has the better options. I also think DishNet's technology is superior. The only time I recommend DTV is if you have to have the NFL ticket. Although it doesn't affect the normal customer, I have found that DishNet treats its retailers and contractors much better. (although both can stand improvement)

#15 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

The system uses one coax to the receiver and that same coax is used to send the signal back to the point of origin to be distributed.

Does this mean that the slave TV requires only a coax from the dish to the slave TV? I have never been clear about this, and every DISH CSR or installer I talk with seems to have a different explanation of this, like "steer into the skid."
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#16 OFFLINE   JimDaddy

JimDaddy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

To use the same cable for signal from dish and feed to TV2 requires the use of diplexers. Diplexers look like 2-way splitters. One cable goes from LNB on dish to a diplexer. (usually located at ground block or distribution box) One cable goes from the diplexer to another diplexer placed at the receiver. A second cable goes from the first diplexer to TV2. I can email you a drawing if you like.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...