Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

10 day wait for service call? Unreal!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rking5150

rking5150

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

I've been with D* for over 10 years. Ever since I had a Slimline-3 dish installed this summer, I've had nothing but trouble with the coax running down the side of my house. First, when the tech installed the new dish, he moved 2 of the 4 wires that run down the house to group them together. Because there was a lot of slack, he ended up cutting the wire to take out the slack and connected it with a connector. All seemed to go well.

Not really. The wire was right by a downspout and water apparently got into the connector and shorted out the coax about 1 month later. So, a tech came out a second time, put on new connectors (he said these were leak-proof), and things seem good again.

Again, not really. So on Saturday, I get the 771 message, and go out and check the connector. Yup -- its fried again. So, I call D*, and they tell me it will be 10 days before a tech can come out.

I decided to take matters into my own hands. I replaced the connectors, and ... nothing. Then I discovered another connector (sill outside the house at the point the wire goes into the basement) that's also fried. I replaced that too. No luck.

I have a feeling that the coax running into the house is somehow damaged. I've ordered a toner online, but anyone have any ideas to see if the wire is damaged? Hooking up a 9V battery at one end and a voltmeter at the other end sounds like it could work.

Essentially, on the 99 and 101 satellites, I get every OTHER transponder working. Like 0 99 0 100 0 96 etc.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:42 AM

10 day wait for service call?

That is totally unacceptable! :nono:

I called Comcast around 7:00 one morning recently. A tech showed up before noon.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

Double check the connectors you installed and make sure that you did not accidentally short the center conductor to the shield (one single almost invisible thread of shield wire is all it takes to short the line).

Do you have a multiswitch, or do the coax lines go directly from the dish to the receiver? Are your symptoms on one receiver only or on multiple?

#4 OFFLINE   sptrout

sptrout

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

Just a wild thought, but.....rkink5150, I noticed that you are from Atlanta. I have not followed the weather problems (flooding) closely, but could it be possible that DTV is still trying to help folks recover from flood damage? If this is not the case, then you are correct in saying that 10 days is unacceptable. I had a problem with my HR20 a couple weeks ago and I got a service tech the next morning. (He ended up replacing the HR20 and the dish.)
Samsung HL-S6188 TV
Onkyo 805 AVR
Sony BDPS1000ES Blu-ray & Oppo 971 DVD Players
DTV HR22 DVR w/AM21
Infinity Beta 50's Front Speakers, C360 Center Speaker, and Beta 20's Surrounds
Hsu VTF MK 2 Subwoofer w/Turbo
APC J25 UPS

#5 OFFLINE   rking5150

rking5150

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

Double check the connectors you installed and make sure that you did not accidentally short the center conductor to the shield (one single almost invisible thread of shield wire is all it takes to short the line).

I've checked the connections a few times. I've even tried to run coax from both ends directy into a connector without connectors. Nothing.

Do you have a multiswitch, or do the coax lines go directly from the dish to the receiver? Are your symptoms on one receiver only or on multiple?

I've got a multiswitch. Of the four lines that run into my basement, all get distributed to 3 HDDVRs. The only box that is not on this feed is a standard def tv upstairs, which gets a line directly from the powered multiswitch on the roof. That TV works fine, and i've checked the powered switch to make sure it's getting power. That's fine too.

It all seems to be in getting the signal in the house from the 4th line. The other 3 seem fine.

#6 OFFLINE   rking5150

rking5150

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

Just a wild thought, but.....rkink5150, I noticed that you are from Atlanta. I have not followed the weather problems (flooding) closely, but could it be possible that DTV is still trying to help folks recover from flood damage? If this is not the case, then you are correct in saying that 10 days is unacceptable. I had a problem with my HR20 a couple weeks ago and I got a service tech the next morning. (He ended up replacing the HR20 and the dish.)

I was told that there's a significant backlog in installs because of the weather around here last week. I accept that, but it would be nice if they had a team that was available to come for smaller jobs, like mine.

Also, in the last team that came, one guy refused to get out of the van to do anything. Had they taken my advice and run a new cable from the roof to the basement (without intermediate connectors) I would be all set. But I guess the other guy just didn't feel like working that day!

#7 OFFLINE   ShrikeT

ShrikeT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

This happened to me a few months ago. My dish got knocked off alignment somehow and it took Directv a full week to show up and fix it. Granted, they did credit my account for the lost service and I now know how to realign the dish myself should that happen again.

#8 OFFLINE   tf92

tf92

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

The last time I had a service call the tech that came out only does service calls for DirecTV he does not do installs.

#9 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

I've got a multiswitch. Of the four lines that run into my basement, all get distributed to 3 HDDVRs. The only box that is not on this feed is a standard def tv upstairs, which gets a line directly from the powered multiswitch on the roof. That TV works fine, and i've checked the powered switch to make sure it's getting power. That's fine too.

It all seems to be in getting the signal in the house from the 4th line. The other 3 seem fine.

Something sounds fishy here. There are only 4 lines coming out of your dish. Do they first go to the powered switch and then 4 lines to your basement to another switch?

If so that is likely your issue since the powered switch is most likely an older switch which is not compatible with HD boxes. Some of them can work but usually cause intermittent issues or fail eventually. The only Powered Multiswitch that is designed to work with the new HD stuff is the WB616 and I can't see them using that since it's not something they normally have around to use and would be no reason to use it since it sounds like you have 8 or less tuners.

Having all the odds out could definitely be an indication of a multiswitch problem and if you've got an unsupported multiswitch in the chain that could easily be the cause of the issue.

#10 OFFLINE   rking5150

rking5150

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

Something sounds fishy here. There are only 4 lines coming out of your dish. Do they first go to the powered switch and then 4 lines to your basement to another switch?

If so that is likely your issue since the powered switch is most likely an older switch which is not compatible with HD boxes. Some of them can work but usually cause intermittent issues or fail eventually. The only Powered Multiswitch that is designed to work with the new HD stuff is the WB616 and I can't see them using that since it's not something they normally have around to use and would be no reason to use it since it sounds like you have 8 or less tuners.

Having all the odds out could definitely be an indication of a multiswitch problem and if you've got an unsupported multiswitch in the chain that could easily be the cause of the issue.

I have a setup that is partially based on legacy.

1. Slimline-3 on the roof (very steep and high - I can't really get to it).

2. Four output lines to powered multiswitch on the roof.

3. Two of those lines go right into the attic, four run down side of house to basement, 2 are not in use.

4. Four lines to non-powered multiswitch in basement.

5. 3 HD-DVRs run off of that switch.

Of the four lines that I have running into the basement, two had to be spliced. Only one has had the problems with the coax shorting.

I've switched those two lines back and forth, and both are getting signals from the dish. When they are disconnected, I get 0 across all transponders. By switching them back and forth, connecting one or the other, it looks like I only have one of the two lines going to switch #2 working.

My thought this morning was to take two of the lines going into multiswitch #2 and run them directly into a HD-DVR. If the dish and switch #1 are working, I should get normal reception. If I don't, there could be a problem in the lines that I currenty think are good to go.

#11 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Maybe they are 10 days behind because Atlanta recently suffered massive flooding and property damage and they are overloaded with service calls ??

Edit: I see someone already brought up that point.

So, I call D*, and they tell me it will be 10 days before a tech can come out.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

I would strongly suspect the connections at the rooftop multiswitch (i'm assuming it is exposed since you didn't mention otherwise) or the switch itself. If the installer did not use waterproof connectors on the exterior splices, he very likely did not use them, at least correctly, at the multiswitch when he changed out the dish.

If someone is gonna go up there, I would also recommend adding a weatherproof enclosure for the exposed switch.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#13 OFFLINE   rking5150

rking5150

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

You're right -- it is exposed.

If someone is gonna go up there, I would also recommend adding a weatherproof enclosure for the exposed switch.

Do the techs ususally have enclosures, or is that something I should have on hand for when they show up?

#14 OFFLINE   Max Mike

Max Mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

I suspect all the rain and flooding in the Atlanta area is at fault. I called Friday afternoon on a issue and a tech was here by 2:00 PM Saturday.

#15 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

I have a setup that is partially based on legacy.

1. Slimline-3 on the roof (very steep and high - I can't really get to it).

2. Four output lines to powered multiswitch on the roof.

3. Two of those lines go right into the attic, four run down side of house to basement, 2 are not in use.

4. Four lines to non-powered multiswitch in basement.

5. 3 HD-DVRs run off of that switch.

Of the four lines that I have running into the basement, two had to be spliced. Only one has had the problems with the coax shorting.

I've switched those two lines back and forth, and both are getting signals from the dish. When they are disconnected, I get 0 across all transponders. By switching them back and forth, connecting one or the other, it looks like I only have one of the two lines going to switch #2 working.

My thought this morning was to take two of the lines going into multiswitch #2 and run them directly into a HD-DVR. If the dish and switch #1 are working, I should get normal reception. If I don't, there could be a problem in the lines that I currenty think are good to go.

What is the model number on the powered multi-switch? An old multiswitch that doesn't support the HD systems can cause problems for anything downstream of it including a second multiswitch that is HD compatible. I would recommend temporarily bypassing the powered multiswitch and running 4 lines straight to the unpowered multi-switch, probably a wb68, to see if it has any effect on the issue. Even if it isn't the cause of the issue you still want to get your system setup properly to avoid potential future issues.

You can run a legacy system off of an HD one but you can't run an HD system off of a legacy one.

Edited by evan_s, 28 September 2009 - 12:28 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

I suspect all the rain and flooding in the Atlanta area is at fault. I called Friday afternoon on a issue and a tech was here by 2:00 PM Saturday.

I'm betting you are correct.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Do the techs ususally have enclosures, or is that something I should have on hand for when they show up?

No. Switches generate heat, and putting them in an enclosure can cook them during the summer. They are designed to be weather-resistant, though a switch should never be mounted on the roof.

#18 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

If DirecTV still has their phone system for scheduling/rescheduling service calls you may try that...Often you can change your call to the next day with no hassles. The online system on the other hand never seemed to work for me.

#19 OFFLINE   rking5150

rking5150

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

What is the model number on the powered multi-switch? An old multiswitch that doesn't support the HD systems can cause problems for anything downstream of it including a second multiswitch that is HD compatible. I would recommend temporarily bypassing the powered multiswitch and running 4 lines straight to the unpowered multi-switch, probably a wb68, to see if it has any effect on the issue. Even if it isn't the cause of the issue you still want to get your system setup properly to avoid potential future issues.

I don't know the model number -- its on the roof (but the tech zip stripped it to the dish support to keep it out of the flowing water) where I can't see it.

I agree this is not an ideal setup -- too bad SWM wasn't around in 2005 -- but the techs don't want to change anything when they come out.

If D* would just give me a SWM, I would be all set.

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Techs are not allowed to use SWMs on upgrades; that's DirecTV policy and nothing the tech can do to change it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...