Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Home Construction/Wiring

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ndimuzio

ndimuzio

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hello all - I am hoping someone can provide me with help... my wife and I are in the process of building a house. I am doing alot of the home audio/video wiring myself and want to be sure to cover all of my bases related to my DTV wiring and setup. I plan to have 6 HD DVR boxes and would like to know what I should wire to each room. I was told I may not have to run two home-runs to each room as I do in my current home, is this true? Is there anything I should be thinking about for the future as well?
Many thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

Well, to really be future proof, you can always run a conduit or couple of "smurf tubes" to each room or at least to the rooms where you most likely need future proofing.

If you use a SWM switch you can run only one coax to each DVR. You might have to buy one yourself as I don't know the ins and outs of how they decide who gets what on an instal (and since you will have 12 total tuners you would need 2 of the SWM 8 switch since there is no SWM16 yet). Make sure the dish you get is a standard slimline and not with the SWM built in and that you have 4 coax runs from the Dish location to your central switch location as you have to use all 4 runs from the dish to feed the switches.

It would still be a good idea IMO to use 2 coax runs to each location if you want to do any antenna HDTV.

I would also run two CAT 5e or CAT 6 to each TV location as well.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

Don't forget the speaker wiring, and it's possible that you may want to run some HDMI in the walls if the DVR & TV are separated.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

You would be doing yourself a major disservice if you made an assumption that 2 cables per DVR were not required.

As I tell everyone who asks this question:

- A *minimum* of 2 RG6 solid copper center-conductor coax and 2 CAT6 cables should be run to every room.

- "Media-heavy" rooms should have at least two full sets, usually on opposite walls, to accomidate the additional equipment and/or the moving of furniture. Computer areas may need additional CAT6, and primary TV areas may need more RG6.

- A minimum of 6 RG6 and 2 CAT6 should be run from the service entrance on the outside of the house to the "wiring closet". 4 for sat, one for cable or cable modem, one for OTA antenna.

- Cable is cheap. Running cable while the house is still under construction is relatively easy and cheap. Retrofitting later because you didn't run a cable during this phase will be difficult and expensive. More things are being networked every day. You can't run too much cable.

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

You can't run too much cable.

Amen.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

I think a bare minimum would be two RG6 and one Cat5e (or Cat6) to each location. If you really want to "do it right", pull 4x RG6 and 3x Cat5e/6 to each location. And remember, some rooms may have more than one location. Of course everything should go back to a home-run base in a closet, basement or attic where there is plenty of room for switches, routers and power supplies.

Having said that, if your house is a one-story, then you can almost always go back through the attic and fish more wire later. If it's a two-story (or story and a half) with a full basement, then just make sure you have a chase between the basement and top attic and again, you should be able to fish what you need. Another thing you'll want to do is take a lot of photos and video during construction, along with measurements, so you can know where critical things like plumbing and electrical wiring are in case you do need to go back in the walls later.

#7 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

Having said that, if your house is a one-story, then you can almost always go back through the attic and fish more wire later.

If it's a one story with a full, unfinished basement, then you can run cable pretty much where ever you want to.

Another thing you'll want to do is take a lot of photos and video during construction...

Yup. I have digital photos of every wall in my house that I shot three days before the drywall went up.
Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

#8 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

...rooms should have at least two full sets, usually on opposite walls, to accomidate the additional equipment and/or the moving of furniture.

+1 as this seems to be the one many forget. It's so much easier to future proof for furniture arrangements when you have multiple drops already installed.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

Use structured wire (single sheath with 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5e or CAT6 inside) for the runs from the wiring closet to the rooms to make the job much easier.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#10 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

ME? I'd run 3 RG6 to each location. We've never addressed OTA, and why diplex if not needed.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#11 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

Use structured wire (single sheath with 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5e or CAT6 inside) for the runs from the wiring closet to the rooms to make the job much easier.

My house is that way. Made adding new equipment a breeze. I will never wire another house again without structured wire. It is so much easier. Structured wire to a central location/media panel. Four coax and two Cat 5e/6 two the outside panel where cable and phone come in. Gives you room for expansion.

Don't forget to run four coax to the roof where your dish will be mounted, maybe 5 if you are going to use OTA. Don't forget a ground wire to the dish to the house bond.

spam firewall