Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Current deals

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Stan54

Stan54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

So, do we know what Sirius XM Radio Internet Service is? I'm intrigued, but confused.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

It is explained very well and quite clearly on their website.
Gary

#143 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

This one is pretty sneaky. 3-month recurring subscription but early termination penalty before 12 months.

*OFFER DETAILS: Buy a Snap radio from our online store until 8/29/2012, 11:59pm ET in combination with a minimum 3-month recurring subscription and the radio is on us (a $59.99 value). You pay shipping and processing costs for the radio. Radios purchased will be shipped to you pre-activated with your subscription, if selected, either 7 days after the ship date on your packing slip or when you call to activate (whichever occurs first). Service will automatically renew and bill at then-current rates until you call us at 1-866-635-2349 to cancel. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com. Fees and taxes apply, including a $75 early Cancellation Fee for cancellation within the first 12 months of service. Offer valid until supplies last. Limit 2 radios per household. This offer cannot be combined with any other. All fees and programming subject to change. Reconditioned radios may contain used parts and are also backed by a 30-day return policy and 90-day warranty. Our satellite service is available only to those at least 18 and older in the 48 contiguous USA and DC. Our Sirius satellite service is also available in PR (with coverage limitations). Our Internet radio service is available throughout our satellite service area and in AK and HI. Certain channels are not available on our Internet radio service or on mobile devices.
Gary

#144 OFFLINE   Stan54

Stan54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

8/14 I accepted an offer by mail for $86 to restore my car service for 1 year. The reconnect fee was waived and there was no mention in the correspondence of any music rights fee.

My check was mailed on that date and nothing happened to restore my service. I called on 8/31 and told the csr that if they had lost my check, they should bill me for the $86 and I would cancel the first check and write a new one. She checked the records and told me that they had my check, but that I needed to pay the $8.50 music rights fee. I told her that there was no mention in the written $86 offer of any other charge to restore service and that it was hard to accept an additional fee.

The csr then told me that as a one time courtesy they would forego the fee and restore service for the $86 amount. After about 25 minutes the channels became available again.

An interesting note is that most of the channels had stayed on the radio anyway from 7/22 to 8/31. If they didn't already have my check, I would have been content with what I had.

I have avoided using my credit card because I don't want an automatic renewal in one year. If they will offer a lower price next time, I will probably renew, but it isn't important enough to me otherwise.

#145 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

You will get an auto renewal anyway. You will have to explicitly cancel or be subject to collection action. This you agreed to.
Gary

#146 OFFLINE   Stan54

Stan54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

You will get an auto renewal anyway. You will have to explicitly cancel or be subject to collection action. This you agreed to.

Do you mean that I will have to REMEMBER to call them to cancel by 8/31/13 or they will extend service without notification and, then, demand my overdue payment (check) at some time in the future?

If so, SiriusXM strikes me as being a shyster outfit.

#147 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Do you mean that I will have to REMEMBER to call them to cancel by 8/31/13 or they will extend service without notification and, then, demand my overdue payment (check) at some time in the future?

If so, SiriusXM strikes me as being a shyster outfit.

Here is your notification ... and it is present throughout the SiriusXM site. Subscriptions auto-renew. You agree to that when you accept the subscription.

Perhaps you do not like "negative option club" type of deals (such as the old Time Life or Reader's Digest book or record club deals where they send you another book or album every month until cancelled). But the auto-renew is clear.

And if a customer tries to rip SiriusXM off by cancelling their mode of payment SiriusXM will go after the payment promised when the customer agreed to the auto-renewal deal.

#148 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Exactly. Apparently you have not read your fine print. Or this thread.
Gary

#149 OFFLINE   Stan54

Stan54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Exactly. Apparently you have not read your fine print. Or this thread.

Now, I wonder if I will be permitted to cancel next August.

#150 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Cancel before the renewal hits and you will be fine. Wait a couple of weeks and SiriusXM will most likely send you promotional rates to win you back.

Forget to cancel and you'll have your subscription at regular price for another year.

#151 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

Mine renewed about a month before they were due. I called and asked to cancel due to the price. I was issued a credit to the 1/2 off 1yr price. $116.46 total.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#152 OFFLINE   Stan54

Stan54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Mine renewed about a month before they were due. I called and asked to cancel due to the price. I was issued a credit to the 1/2 off 1yr price. $116.46 total.

Quote: "Mine renewed about a month before they were due."

I assume that you used a credit card and SiriusXM charged it one month early.

#153 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

Quote: "Mine renewed about a month before they were due."

I assume that you used a credit card and SiriusXM charged it one month early.

Correct.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#154 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Just curious. In Canada, the XM packages also have a royalty fee attached. Is there such a fee in the United States? In Canada, you pay your rate, then about a 17% music royalty fee, then 13% sales tax. It gets pricey up there. How does your bill break down?

#155 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

Just curious. In Canada, the XM packages also have a royalty fee attached. Is there such a fee in the United States? In Canada, you pay your rate, then about a 17% music royalty fee, then 13% sales tax. It gets pricey up there. How does your bill break down?

Yes, we have the royalty fee in the US. 9.8%? Sales tax varies by location.

#156 OFFLINE   Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationShavertown PA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

My trial membership just expired so I called to see what deal I could get. After the CSR went through all the normal prices I mentioned that a friend of mine just renewed at 29.99 plus tax for 6 months. She said since I mentioned it, she can give me the same deal. So I just renewed for 6 months for a of $32.47 total. XM Select package. Will call in 6 months to get a new deal or cancel.
HR34-700
HR24-100
H25-100
H25-100
H25-100
HR24-100

#157 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

"Starting tomorrow -- and running through Nov. 27 -- Sirius will be turning on all inactive radios. Listeners won't have access to all of the platform's content, but 60 stations of sports, news, talk, entertainment, and commercial-free music should give them a good taste of what they're missing out on."
Gary

#158 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

"Starting tomorrow -- and running through Nov. 27 -- Sirius will be turning on all inactive radios. Listeners won't have access to all of the platform's content, but 60 stations of sports, news, talk, entertainment, and commercial-free music should give them a good taste of what they're missing out on."

They added a few channels to my radio today (I have an a la carte subscription). They have done that before for special preview weekends. I have not looked to see what is temporarily there.

Here's the promo list for Sirius and XM.

#159 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

My subscription for XM Select was due to renew on 11/26 so I called today to cancel. I have been paying $77 + royalty fees & taxes for 3 years straight. Well this year the best they could do was $86 + royalty fees & taxes ($93.73) as their prices went up a bit but still this was a pretty good deal. They also gave me a credit from today until 11/26 since my new renewal date will be 11/23/2013.

This subscription is for my wife's car. I have an XM receiver in my 2012 Camry SE but I feel that the quality of XM is not that great. CDs or higher bit rate mp3's sound much better IMHO. Since I have a USB port in the Camry I just loaded up a 16 GB USB flash drive with my entire CD collection so I can listen to what I like in much better fidelity. :icon_bb:

#160 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Another one of those famous "$25 for 6 months" deals is expiring for me in about a week. Needless to say, with the terrible audio quality of late I won't be renewing at their ridiculous "regular" price. I wonder if they will offer a deal or if I have to cancel for a month or two before they come back begging with their snail mail offers? Stay tuned as they say!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...