Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H21/H23 0x434D/0x434E: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

Receivers included in this release:
H21-200/H23-600: 0x434D
H21-100: 0x434E

National release will be complete for all receivers on October 2, 2009.

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=165964

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 02 October 2009 - 07:00 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

Since receiving this update on my H21-100 there have been at least 5 instances of the guide data disappearing for no good reason. When this happens, a message pops up indicating the guide data hasn't been able to load, and a reboot is necessary (don't have the exact wording, my kids are informing me of this). At this point, the box seems to reset itself, goes through the self test and guide data loading, and everything is fine for several hours or maybe a day or so.

This never seemed to occur prior to the update.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Since receiving this update on my H21-100 there have been at least 5 instances of the guide data disappearing for no good reason. When this happens, a message pops up indicating the guide data hasn't been able to load, and a reboot is necessary (don't have the exact wording, my kids are informing me of this). At this point, the box seems to reset itself, goes through the self test and guide data loading, and everything is fine for several hours or maybe a day or so.

This never seemed to occur prior to the update.

It is very likely that you have a line of site issue with the 119° sat location. Do you know what kind of satellite dish you have? Could you check the signal strength on Sat 119° If everything is zero (or low), then this is the culprit.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

Ummm, I have a slimline 5 which has no trouble with any of the 5 satellites on the other two HR20's I have.

However I told the H21 that it is connected to a slimline 3 (not a 5) deliberately so that it would ignore 110 and 119. I do this because I take this receiver camping with me periodically, and in this usage it IS connected to only an SL3.

Hmmm, during the initial bootup checking stuff, maybe the receiver automatically finds an SL5 at the house (since it really has one there) and ignores the fact that I told it in the setup to expect an SL3 instead. If that is so, then maybe it is looking for 119 (or 110) guide data (and should be able to find it at the house location) but since I told it there is only access to an SL3, it is getting confused??

I don't recall this behavior before the new software download. Anyone with an SL5 LNB should be able to replicate this by going back through the satellite setup and selecting SL3 instead of SL5, and then waiting for a few days?
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

However I told the H21 that it is connected to a slimline 3 (not a 5) deliberately so that it would ignore 110 and 119. I do this because I take this receiver camping with me periodically, and in this usage it IS connected to only an SL3.

This is your problem .. If you have an SL5, then you need to set the dish type accordingly. GUIDE Data is sent from the SL5 on both 101° and 119° locations. The satellite that is used depends on which Sat/Frequency you are tuned to (based on channel selection). This is designed into the hardware of the SL5. The SL3 uses 101° for Guide data all of the time while the SL5 uses 101° some of the time and 119° some of the time. There is no way to fake it out from the receiver as you are trying to do.

When connected at home, just set your Satellite Dish type to SL5 and when camping change it to SL3 and all should be well. Yes, it's a few extra steps, but it will keep everything working correctly.

The reset phenomenon may be new to the H21/H23 systems, but this has been part of the HR2x systems for some time now. It's an indication that something is wrong with the setup (alignment, line of site, etc.). I'm sure you had missing guide data in the past as well as if it couldn't find the data, then it wouldn't be able to show it. The resetting may be new as the reset is an attempt to fix the problem. In your case, that will be impossible as you have selected an incorrect dish type for the installation.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

Mine is actually a problem that is still here, but started with 42EB. I have 4 H21's 3 x -200 and 1 x -100. Every other day the USB serial control stops working until I reset the receiver. I use this with SageTV and it is getting really frustrating. This was never a problem before because if the USB connection was lost and reconnected it didn't require a reset to see the connection. With these last couple of firmwares that seems to be gone. Any suggestions?

#7 OFFLINE   hellyea

hellyea

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

Since getting this update, the rcvr is very slow to respond to commands from the Remote Control. Even getting the quickguide up is slow, pressing channel #'s is slow, sometimes it'll only register 2 of the 3 numbers pressed.

This is very frustrating. Compliants are similar to those registered with the HR2X series and this new update. I tried soft and hard restarts -- no fix. What gives?

#8 OFFLINE   viper8399

viper8399

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

My H21-200 received the update and seems to be fine. On the other hand my H23-600 I think got the update. As of last night My guide froze and I reset. When resetting it gets to the almost done screen and sits there. I let it go for 2 hours with nothing. The resolution lights will scroll for a little while then eventually stop on 480p. Any help would be appreciated on this matter.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

Please keep in mind that it was announced in the chat room that it will take upwards of 12 hours to fully refresh the guide data, so during this initial period, performance may be slow.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   viper8399

viper8399

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:12 AM

it not the performance. Its the fact that I cannot get my receiver to reset. It is stuck on the DIRECTV screen saying Step 1 of 2 searching for sat. Almost there. will not move off this screen.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

it not the performance. Its the fact that I cannot get my receiver to reset. It is stuck on the DIRECTV screen saying Step 1 of 2 searching for sat. Almost there. will not move off this screen.

That's an entirely different issue - looks like your unit locked up during the download.

Not much more you can do other than try a reset and see if it recovers OK.

#12 OFFLINE   viper8399

viper8399

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

what if it does not recover. I forced downloaded the software again and still seems to be doing the samething.

#13 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

what if it does not recover. I forced downloaded the software again and still seems to be doing the samething.

Can you run the receiver test from the info & test menu? I you can, does it fail and return a code?

#14 OFFLINE   viper8399

viper8399

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

no i cannot even get to the menu. Unless there is a backdore i'm not aware of which is very possible. the only thing that seems to work is force downloading the software and the reset button

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

no i cannot even get to the menu. Unless there is a backdore i'm not aware of which is very possible. the only thing that seems to work is force downloading the software and the reset button

Try to unplug it and let it stand for 30 minutes, and also unplug the Access card.

The reinsert the card, plug it in again, as see if it starts up OK.

#16 OFFLINE   viper8399

viper8399

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:21 AM

I tried all of the above and still nothing. I did call Directv and talked to Technical support. First person I talked to said they were going to format my hard drive. When I explained to them that is not possible because I do not have a DVR we got disconnected. Luckily, I was able to get ahold of another Tech support person right away. I explained to them the situation, told them I've left the receiver unplugged all night, forced downloaded the new software again and just let it wait. I said I pretty sure my software got corruped. We ran one more reset with the sat cable unplugged and still never got an error. I think he agreed with me that the software was corrupted and agreed to send out a new box for free. I did not even have to pay shipping. Thanks for all you help here.

#17 OFFLINE   hellyea

hellyea

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:12 AM

Is anyone else experiencing slow response from the receiver when changing channels? It is such a pain in the butt. I forced a re-download and that still did not fix the issue.

Any advice on how to fix this? Didn't have this issue before with previous software. I have an H21.

Hey D* - get your act together....

#18 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the clock on my H23 was 2 minutes slow. I did an RBR and it seemed to be fixed. Then yesterday, I noticed it was 2 minutes slow again. Has anyone else seen this?

#19 OFFLINE   ITA72

ITA72

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

I tried all of the above and still nothing. I did call Directv and talked to Technical support. First person I talked to said they were going to format my hard drive. When I explained to them that is not possible because I do not have a DVR we got disconnected. Luckily, I was able to get ahold of another Tech support person right away. I explained to them the situation, told them I've left the receiver unplugged all night, forced downloaded the new software again and just let it wait. I said I pretty sure my software got corruped. We ran one more reset with the sat cable unplugged and still never got an error. I think he agreed with me that the software was corrupted and agreed to send out a new box for free. I did not even have to pay shipping. Thanks for all you help here.

I'm experiencing your same problems, my H21 was rebooting and had no signal and no data available, while my HR21 had some lock ups and reboot issues but the signal was alright.

I'm on a Protection Plan so I called the technician, he came here on Thursday, checked the satellite, and decided to replace the LNB, he replaced the HR21 with a brand new HR23 and everything is fine with it now, but the H21 had the same signal problem after downloading the update.

He replaced it with a brand new H23 and after the software download everything was fine.

Today I have the same problem, no signal and no guide, it's trying to download the Advanced Program Guide and it has been stuck on 0% Complete for a while.

#20 OFFLINE   jmackc

jmackc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

Since the national release the local channels in my area all have pixelation. I am not a happy camper as the channels are at their worst today during the SEC and Big 12 football championships. :mad:

spam firewall