Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wii owners might want to wait on updating to 4.2

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   PatentBoy

PatentBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

Nope. Non-modified/non-hacked machines were bricked by the update. That is part of why there was such an uproar about it. And some games do require you to update to v4.2 in order to play them (i.e. Wii Sports Resort).

- Merg

Weird, never heard of someone with a brick which was not a hacked system.

While some games are tied to certain updates, which are actually loaded via the game DVD itself, no games are tied to a specific system software version. For example, see this website which discloses the specific software (off of the DVD game itself) required to run the game, as well as the system software running to obtain the info.

http://www.wiihacks....es-use-run.html

These guys know a lot about the Wii system software.
They also recommend not to update to system software 4.1, yet they are able to run Wii Resort.
-PatentBoy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   PatentBoy

PatentBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

There have been a few things, but the Wii has the goofiest method I've ever heard of. Versions basically pile up on the system. It certainly can't get updated like the Xbox or PS3.

http://hackmii.com/2...get-any-better/

The Wii is setup to have, presumably, up to 256 different internal OSs (IOS) for running programs and the system software. Generally, only one system IOS is loaded and running at any one time. N has put more than one version on the Wii machines, but the additional versions are typically 'stubs' - software which will brick the Wii if run. On hacked machines, especially if you are not careful, there are situations where these stubs will be called and the Wii machined bricked. In system software 4.2, the IOS associated with system software 4.1, as well as a few other notable IOSs, were replaced with stubs. This was one of the main purposes of system 4.2 - to disrupt the hacking community.

I disagree with The Merg, I do not know of ANY instance where a clean Wii machine was bricked by the update. If someone has one, please let me know. I would like to know the circumstances of the brick and to what extent it is bricked, e.g. don't see anything at boot, or see the first screen, but then dies when trying to load the system menu.
-PatentBoy

#23 OFFLINE   PatentBoy

PatentBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

I had to update for Super Mario Wii. Other than that, Wii updates are generally useless since they can't include much in the way of new features.

Was not a system update, but I believe an update off the game DVD, right?
-PatentBoy

#24 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

The Wii is setup to have, presumably, up to 256 different internal OSs (IOS) for running programs and the system software. Generally, only one system IOS is loaded and running at any one time. N has put more than one version on the Wii machines, but the additional versions are typically 'stubs' - software which will brick the Wii if run. On hacked machines, especially if you are not careful, there are situations where these stubs will be called and the Wii machined bricked. In system software 4.2, the IOS associated with system software 4.1, as well as a few other notable IOSs, were replaced with stubs. This was one of the main purposes of system 4.2 - to disrupt the hacking community.

I disagree with The Merg, I do not know of ANY instance where a clean Wii machine was bricked by the update. If someone has one, please let me know. I would like to know the circumstances of the brick and to what extent it is bricked, e.g. don't see anything at boot, or see the first screen, but then dies when trying to load the system menu.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree....

http://www.joystiq.c...odded-consoles/

http://www.gamespot....ws/6230816.html

http://www.tomsguide...,news-4768.html

As for not requiring the update to play a game, when I first put in Wii Sports Resort, it immediately came up with a message that I needed to update to 4.2 in order to play the game. It then used WiiConnect to download and install the update. It did not come from the DVD. In fact, I had removed the DVD from Wii already when it performed the update.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

As for using a hacked Wii, I am in that community. My sole purpose for doing so is to load my games onto an external harddrive to improve loading times and save me the time of swapping DVD's in and out. I have Wii channels set up for each of my games to make it easy for myself and my wife to load them.

- Merg

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

As for using a hacked Wii, I am in that community. My sole purpose for doing so is to load my games onto an external harddrive to improve loading times and save me the time of swapping DVD's in and out. I have Wii channels set up for each of my games to make it easy for myself and my wife to load them.

- Merg

It seems some thing hacking equals doing it to pirate. I get the same thing for jailbreaking my iPod Touch. But like you, I hack my Touch to get features that I want, and Apple doesn't allow. I buy all my apps (that aren't free from the developer of course.)

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

There have been a few things, but the Wii has the goofiest method I've ever heard of. Versions basically pile up on the system. It certainly can't get updated like the Xbox or PS3.

http://hackmii.com/2...get-any-better/

I don't disagree with you there. It would be nice if they could implement updates that were usable with older games. I would love WiiSpeak to be available for my COD games, but I don't think it is going to happen.

- Merg

#28 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

i have 4.0 on my wii i do not have my wii conneted to the internet.............

#29 OFFLINE   PatentBoy

PatentBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

Sorry, but I gotta disagree....

http://www.joystiq.c...odded-consoles/

http://www.gamespot....ws/6230816.html

http://www.tomsguide...,news-4768.html

As for not requiring the update to play a game, when I first put in Wii Sports Resort, it immediately came up with a message that I needed to update to 4.2 in order to play the game. It then used WiiConnect to download and install the update. It did not come from the DVD. In fact, I had removed the DVD from Wii already when it performed the update.

- Merg

Regarding bricking of unmodded Wiis, these articles are correct. The first stating, "If any problems arise during installation, the bootloader becomes corrupt," but that requires a loss of power, etc. during installation. I am referring to the situation where the Wii is seemingly updated without problem. The Wii reboots to brick status…

Regarding Wii Resort, that was not the case for me. See this related post regarding super mario bros. - >http://techforums.ni...thread.id=10738

The games are not tied to system software, but may include the software or ask the user to update to the latest system software. Typically, this is for those who do not have an internet connection.
-PatentBoy

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

Regarding bricking of unmodded Wiis, these articles are correct. The first stating, "If any problems arise during installation, the bootloader becomes corrupt," but that requires a loss of power, etc. during installation. I am referring to the situation where the Wii is seemingly updated without problem. The Wii reboots to brick status…

And as this article states, it does not require loss of power etc...

"The problem appears to lie with an incredibly shoddily programmed update to boot2 of the Wii," reads this forum announcement on NeoGAF. "boot2 is basically the area that "starts up" the Wii. According to the people who have developed HBC, the code for Nintendo's updated boot2 is prone to making write errors, therefore making the possibility of bricking your Wii extremely high, whether or not you have ever hacked or modified your Wii."

Regarding Wii Resort, that was not the case for me. See this related post regarding super mario bros. - >http://techforums.ni...thread.id=10738

The games are not tied to system software, but may include the software or ask the user to update to the latest system software. Typically, this is for those who do not have an internet connection.

That might be true for Super Mario Bros., but it was not for me with Wii Sports Resort. When the loading it up the first time, it told me to update. If I said no, it returned me back to the Wii Menu. I copied the DVD to my external and tried again with the same result. I then went in through WiiConnect and performed the update. I did of course lose use of my external until I fixed HomeBrew.

- Merg

#31 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

what is new????????????

#32 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

i have 4.0 on my wii.......

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

what is new????????????

I posted the changes in your other thread. The synopsis really is, unless a game requires it (and it would come with it), there is absolutely no reason to go from 4.0 to 4.2.

#34 OFFLINE   LlenB2520

LlenB2520

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

Yeah accidently updated, and there goes my chances at playing any homebrew games. I know messing with Nintendo code is bad, but the homebrew community has come out with some fantastic features.

#35 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

i do not want to upgrade to 4.2!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

i have 4.0 on my wii.................

#37 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

when did 4.0 come out?????

Edited by james hyde, 21 February 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

when did 4.0 come out????????????????

March 25, 2009.

#39 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

Yeah accidently updated, and there goes my chances at playing any homebrew games. I know messing with Nintendo code is bad, but the homebrew community has come out with some fantastic features.

There's ways that you can go back and fix it so you can get your HBC back. That's what I ended up doing.

- Merg

#40 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

it did???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...