Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wii owners might want to wait on updating to 4.2

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:30 AM

it did???

What is wrong with you? Why so many useless questions?

Anyways, one of my co-workers Wii's bricked and it was dead stock, no modifications on the 4.2 update.
If you're worried about bricking and you have a soft-modded console do a NAND backup first.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

Anyways, one of my co-workers Wii's bricked and it was dead stock, no modifications on the 4.2 update.
If you're worried about bricking and you have a soft-modded console do a NAND backup first.

Not sure why this happens - esp since my Wii has run HBC (not currently) & every update so far has never done anyting beyond erasing HBC (which can easliy be re-installed afterwards).

The major thing to remember about homebrew - in most cases what you do w/ it is 100% safe - but since HBC is also the gateway to online cheats & various forms of piracy - the big N is gonna try & nuke it (and perhaps take your Wii down w/ it) at every chance. And carelessness on the user end w/ HBC stuff can also lead to bricking the console. That is why the HBC option of doing a full NAND backup is a good idea - in most all cases, one can "unbrick" their Wii on their own if a NAND backup is handy.

But w/ every system update so far, the HBC crowd generally finds a new back door/workaround within 24-48 hours of any HBC killing updates.
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#43 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Not sure why this happens - esp since my Wii has run HBC (not currently) & every update so far has never done anyting beyond erasing HBC (which can easliy be re-installed afterwards).

The major thing to remember about homebrew - in most cases what you do w/ it is 100% safe - but since HBC is also the gateway to online cheats & various forms of piracy - the big N is gonna try & nuke it (and perhaps take your Wii down w/ it) at every chance. And carelessness on the user end w/ HBC stuff can also lead to bricking the console. That is why the HBC option of doing a full NAND backup is a good idea - in most all cases, one can "unbrick" their Wii on their own if a NAND backup is handy.

But w/ every system update so far, the HBC crowd generally finds a new back door/workaround within 24-48 hours of any HBC killing updates.

I was surprised when I did my NAND backup I only had 1 bad block, and that was the factory bad block. I figure 3-4 minutes of my time and around 500megs is a lot cheaper than replacing a console. I agree with you that carelessness leads to the majority of the problems. I try to do plenty of research first before I dive in.

#44 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Nothing like a twitter posting technique done in a thread here, huh??? ;)

It's as useless here as is twitter itself.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#45 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

Nothing like a twitter posting technique done in a thread here, huh??? ;)

It's as useless here as is twitter itself.

Except Twitter is not useless. I've actually been able to use it in my job as a network admin.

#46 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

Except Twitter is not useless. I've actually been able to use it in my job as a network admin.

Glad it works for you.....but IM already serves the same need.

Twitter is a joke. There's a reason even the phone company ads make fun of it.

Going back to topic - has anyone found anything online that "officially" indicates there is a problem with firmware version 4.2 on the Wii?

I've found no such announcement, notification, etc.

#47 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

Glad it works for you.....but IM already serves the same need.

Twitter is a joke. There's a reason even the phone company ads make fun of it.

Going back to topic - has anyone found anything online that "officially" indicates there is a problem with firmware version 4.2 on the Wii?

I've found no such announcement, notification, etc.

Nope, I've used it to check that it's just not my Blackberries out in a particular city, others having the same issue etc. I can't do a #attfail search on IM. It's pathetic, but I've actually gotten better response from customer service reps for AT&T and T-Mobile on Twitter at times than the call center.

As for the 4.2 update, I haven't either. Last I saw they still were blaming hacked consoles which we know isn't the whole story. I finally updated my unhacked one and it worked fine though.

#48 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

As for using a hacked Wii, I am in that community. My sole purpose for doing so is to load my games onto an external harddrive to improve loading times and save me the time of swapping DVD's in and out. I have Wii channels set up for each of my games to make it easy for myself and my wife to load them.

- Merg

When you say you setup Wii channels for all your games, do you mean they show up in the boxes on the main page? One of the reasons I didn't go through with the mod was because I thought it would be too hard for the kids to figure out the interface afterwards. If I can set it up so they are on an external drive and are buttons on the main page, I'll be all over that (the kids only play 3 or 4 games, so I have lots of free spaces on the main page).

Edited by Getteau, 24 February 2010 - 03:59 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#49 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

You have to ask yourself, is this really the right forum for this sort of discussion? Do you really want a moderator making a field call as to whether this violates this rule...

You agree to not use the Service to:

© upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that

(2) consists of instructional information on illegal activities, including, but not limited to, hacking, cracking, and phreaking

Because as long as there's no call on the field, there are no infractions. As soon as there's a call on the field, well a moderator has to do something about it.

It's up to you guys.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#50 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

I vote to talk about firmware v4.2 for what it does, any issues with it, and what may be in store beyond it - oh wait - that's the thread purpose already. :D

#51 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

You have to ask yourself, is this really the right forum for this sort of discussion? Do you really want a moderator making a field call as to whether this violates this rule...

Because as long as there's no call on the field, there are no infractions. As soon as there's a call on the field, well a moderator has to do something about it.

It's up to you guys.

I just edited my post to take out the parts that I think would have violated the rules.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#52 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

It's up to you guys.

I think the mere mention of homebrew & what one could do with it is OK - it seems many Wii HB types are less about piracy/cheating than doing coolthings w/ a Wii that it normally cannot - the storage of game discs on an ext drive, for example - very cool, but also a way to pirate rented games.

I would think step by step instructions or link to such things might cross the line - besides, if someone really needs such info, they have Google.

But discussing some of the non-criminal HBC apps would be "safe", I assume.
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

Protected By... spam firewall...And...