Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm switching from Direct TV to Dish Network.....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

I've been a decently happy Direct TV subscriber for about 5 years, but our family is having a hard time to fork out $300 + $100 for NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan.

I have heard lots of great things about Dish & the hardware / software. I'll be doing a bunch of reading on the Dish side of the house now.

Any information or links to some good "Dish Network" reading would be very welcomed. I'll be calling them to come out and set it up probably this coming week.

Is there a certain number I should call? Certain HD DVR to ask for? I'm thinking of getting the Silver Package, so I can add on the "NFL Redzone Channel"

Thanks in advance............

Subscribing............. :)

(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(1) R10 SD DVR - (Tivo unit)
(2) D10 SD Recievers
Samsung 42" HD Plasma HP-S4253
Samsung Upconvert DVD Surround System HT-Q70

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

Actually, I have the Silver package with HD and Multisport (Redzone!) and a ViP 722. It's a great package.

Looks like you only have the one TV, so a 722 is perfectly fine, and you can use Single Mode and tuner swap/PIP. Other than that, you should be ready to roll.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   Hersh

Hersh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

I have silver package and 772 vip switched a year ago and will stay with Dish support is great equipment is solid.:hurah:

#4 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

Actually, I have the Silver package with HD and Multisport (Redzone!) and a ViP 722. It's a great package.

Looks like you only have the one TV, so a 722 is perfectly fine, and you can use Single Mode and tuner swap/PIP. Other than that, you should be ready to roll.

Thank you very much for the input. That is probably the exact package I'm looking to get.

Right now we are paying $107 a month for Direct TV.

What is your monthly bill for your set up with Dish Network?

Looking forward to the switch! : )

(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(2) D10 SD Recievers

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

I've been a decently happy Direct TV subscriber for about 5 years, but our family is having a hard time to fork out $300 + $100 for NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan.

I'm a little confused. I'm a very happy Dish customer, and have a bad history (via my father) with DirecTV...

BUT... if your main concern is the cost of Sunday Ticket... why not just drop Sunday Ticket and stay with DirecTV?

I'm sure Dish would love a new customer.. and I am happy with my Dish subscription... but are you having other problems with DirecTV that is causing this decision? IF so, then knowing those might better help people tell you if the Dish experience will be better.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   bgothard72

bgothard72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:03 AM

I just switched to Dish from Directv on 10-1-09 and I love it. I got the dish 1000.4 and a 722k receiver! I'm not looking back to D anytime soon! Dish had lost more channels that I wanted and D has not added.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

I'm a little confused. I'm a very happy Dish customer, and have a bad history (via my father) with DirecTV...

BUT... if your main concern is the cost of Sunday Ticket... why not just drop Sunday Ticket and stay with DirecTV?

I'm sure Dish would love a new customer.. and I am happy with my Dish subscription... but are you having other problems with DirecTV that is causing this decision? IF so, then knowing those might better help people tell you if the Dish experience will be better.

We already did drop NFL Sunday Ticket & Superfan, and the current bill is $107 a month. I want to get Dish and order the Silver package & the sports pack with NFL Redzone....

(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(2) D10 SD Recievers

#8 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

i just switched from D to DN 1 week ago and could not be happier.
i have the classic 250 package with HBO and SHOWTIME free for 3 months,CINEMAX 1 year for 1 penny and HD platinum package,and RTPi(international channel)
1 722K receiver
2 Vip HD solo receivers
RTPi (international channel)

monthly bill $90 :hurah:

i think dish's picture is superior than directv's

oh and $0 upfront costs

#9 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

Silver with locals and DVR is $57.99, MSP adds $5.99; $15 discount for 12 months with a commitment. Free HBO/Showtime for 3 months, Cinemax for 1 cent a year if you setup and keep autopay.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

Thank you very much for the input. That is probably the exact package I'm looking to get.

Right now we are paying $107 a month for Direct TV.

What is your monthly bill for your set up with Dish Network?

Looking forward to the switch! : )

$73.98 a month.

Classic Silver 200 With DVR 57.99
Multi Sport 5.99
HD & Platinum 10.00

I'll drop MSP in January since Red Zone will be done for the year... :)

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#11 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

$73.98 a month.

Classic Silver 200 With DVR 57.99
Multi Sport 5.99
HD & Platinum 10.00

I'll drop MSP in January since Red Zone will be done for the year... :)

Awesome! That's exactly what we are looking to get. Thank you!

The $10 for HD & Platinum is the right to have HD programing, but what does the "Platinum" mean?

So, $73.98 per month - that covers 1 HD DVR + 3 other SD recievers?

Thanks again! :)

(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(2) D10 SD Recievers

#12 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

My installation is scheduled for this Wednesday with Dish Network, I am kind of getting nervous about the move I’m making. I have had DirecTV about 10 years, but the lesser cost for more TV on Dish makes this move a little easier

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#13 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Awesome! That's exactly what we are looking to get. Thank you!

The $10 for HD & Platinum is the right to have HD programing, but what does the "Platinum" mean?

So, $73.98 per month - that covers 1 HD DVR + 3 other SD recievers?

Platinum used to be the channels that were HD-only, with no SD counterparts like Universal HD, HDNet Movies, etc, but Dish put them all into the HD pack on August 1.

I have just the one ViP 722; I use the HDMI connection in my basement, ran an ethernet cable into my living room and use Component-over-Cat 5 connectors for that, and use the whole-house SD-only TV2 output to run to the bedroom, so I avoid having extra receivers.

Likely you can run at least one of your other SD tv's from TV2, so if you're still looking at 2 more receivers it'd be $7 per receiver. You can save a lot by putting TV2 on more than one TV, like if you only use the extra TVs sporadically. We ran the living room and the bedroom on TV2 for a long time until we got the 2nd HD screen in the living room.

Edit: Sorry, $7 per HD receiver and $5 per SD receiver. But again, you can avoid that with TV2 output.

#14 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have just the one ViP 722; I use the HDMI connection in my basement, ran an ethernet cable into my living room and use Component-over-Cat 5 connectors for that, and use the whole-house SD-only TV2 output to run to the bedroom, so I avoid having extra receivers.

I am having the ViP 722 HD DuoDVR, 2-way Remote Receiver installed does a coax cable have to be run to the 2nd TV? Or is it wireless technology?
Thanks
Rich

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

I am having the ViP 722 HD DuoDVR, 2-way Remote Receiver installed does a coax cable have to be run to the 2nd TV? Or is it wireless technology?
Thanks
Rich

Coax. It broadcasts on OTA or CATV channels, your choice from the 722. I have a single distribution point in my basement, so it runs out to all of the jacks (except my bedroom) from there.

spam firewall