Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:48 AM

I know I'm new here. I love this website -- been reading it for a couple years and finally decided to sign up so I could post. I'm a big Directv fan -- over 10 years been a loyal customer but I have to vent some frustration over the speeds of these HD DVR's.

Please explain why I press the guide button and it takes sometimes up to 10 seconds to display. Then when I decide I want to put in a channel number it sometimes doesn't take it or forgets the 2nd out of the 3 digits I pressed. I keep getting that similar sounding TIVO error boink. I don't typically complain, but why is this an issue?

I have both HR22's and 23's and experience the same problems frequently on all of them. Why such a delay? Shouldn't this be the number one priority to rectify in a software update?

My buddy has the D12-700 (yes it's a standard receiver, but shouldn't be an excuse) and it's wonderful because he experiences no delay. It's the same looking platform, remote and Dtv box so I don't understand it.

My old Tivo DVR's had none of these problems. Honestly, I can't think of any other 21st century comparable device that has these delays.

Okay, I'll stop venting but someone has to feel my frustration and agree that this is unacceptable based on the fees, contracts, and technology we have available.

Will this ever be fixed or will I have to wait for the new HD TIVO in 2010?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

Mark,

I know that there is always software upgrades being released. Im not sure if you already received the latest update but I also have the HR22 and HR23 and the those issues went away. I also encourage you to post in the issues thread so that maybe enough of these issues gets posted so Directv can put it as a top priority.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

Larry,

Thanks for the reply and info about the issues thread. I do have the updated software that includes the faster starts and double play on all my receivers, but still experience these issues.

M

#4 OFFLINE   Jlg

Jlg

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

For me, this last update is causing the problem. Call and register a complaint. The only way something will happen is if enough people complain. Not in this forum, actually pick up a phone and tie up a tech. Let us know what they say.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

After all these years there is no question that DirecTV knows about the problems. They are supposedly reading these forums and complaint after complaint doesn't seem to make any difference.

I doubt they will fix the receivers - seems the only hope is to use the old HR20s (that are quicker by a bit but still seem to have some of the other problems) or wait until there is a new box. Hopefully no one that has worked on the HR2x series will be allowed ANY input on whatever they are developing!

The other possibility - if you can get the programming you want - would be to switch to Dish Network. Their HD DVRs are much much faster in all things and I had a lot less trouble in general with them. I have DirecTV only because of Sunday Ticket. Next season - if no new working receiver is available from DirecTV I'll have Dish Network for everything else and subscribe to the family plan + Sunday Ticket from DirecTV.

The latest firmware update seems to have caused a lot of problems and even brought back some problems from the past. Not a good time in DirecTVland!

#6 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

Larry,

Thanks for the reply and info about the issues thread. I do have the updated software that includes the faster starts and double play on all my receivers, but still experience these issues.

M

What setting do you have your scrolling affects set to?

#7 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,109 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

The latest firmware update seems to have caused a lot of problems and even brought back some problems from the past. Not a good time in DirecTVland!

Thats totally contrary to what most posters are saying - speed is improved & less problems since 34C went out. :rolleyes:

What setting do you have your scrolling affects set to?

Yes...check that setting and try with scrolling turned off...see if that makes any different for you...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

Thats totally contrary to what most posters are saying - speed is improved & less problems since 34C went out. :rolleyes:

Well - I didn't do a scientific study on it but I must have missed the great praises of the speed increases... In fact the complaints greatly out number the very few posts about speed increases.

In my case the reboot speed is faster (sometimes) but the day to day slowness is the same - maybe just a fraction faster but I can't see it.

On the other hand the complaints continue of lost recordings because the space disappears, drive thrashing with broken up audio/video, having to reboot to get thing back to the normal slow, external drives that used to work not working anymore, the inability to type in channel changes by number and my favorite - the jump to the end/beginning problem is much worse over the last few weeks.

I think it is time for us to face the music - the speed of the HR21/22/23 is what it is and until something new comes out we're stuck.

#9 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

Well - I didn't do a scientific study on it but I must have missed the great praises of the speed increases... In fact the complaints greatly out number the very few posts about speed increases.

In my case the reboot speed is faster (sometimes) but the day to day slowness is the same - maybe just a fraction faster but I can't see it.

On the other hand the complaints continue of lost recordings because the space disappears, drive thrashing with broken up audio/video, having to reboot to get thing back to the normal slow, external drives that used to work not working anymore, the inability to type in channel changes by number and my favorite - the jump to the end/beginning problem is much worse over the last few weeks.

I think it is time for us to face the music - the speed of the HR21/22/23 is what it is and until something new comes out we're stuck.

To your first point that is relative the amount of people that bother to comment when something works well. But your right about the posts. I guess the people with issues are louder right now. If we started a "positive" thread I think the results would change.

On the last point, this is why I think all issues should be reported in the issues thread so they are read and dealt with. But you are correct that other issues are still there. I think all the STB's have improved based on what I read on here and with time all STB's will continue to get updates/improvements and get better.

#10 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

I don't usually speak up unless I am experiencing problems with my HR's, but I will be one of the silent majority and say that I am not experiencing any of the mentioned difficulties. I am sorry that you are, hopefully you may find some suggestions to cure yours. Are the HR's perfect? No, but they reliably do as they are told.

#11 OFFLINE   oudabashian

oudabashian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

I know I'm new here. I love this website -- been reading it for a couple years and finally decided to sign up so I could post. I'm a big Directv fan -- over 10 years been a loyal customer but I have to vent some frustration over the speeds of these HD DVR's.

Please explain why I press the guide button and it takes sometimes up to 10 seconds to display. Then when I decide I want to put in a channel number it sometimes doesn't take it or forgets the 2nd out of the 3 digits I pressed. I keep getting that similar sounding TIVO error boink. I don't typically complain, but why is this an issue?

I have both HR22's and 23's and experience the same problems frequently on all of them. Why such a delay? Shouldn't this be the number one priority to rectify in a software update?

My buddy has the D12-700 (yes it's a standard receiver, but shouldn't be an excuse) and it's wonderful because he experiences no delay. It's the same looking platform, remote and Dtv box so I don't understand it.

My old Tivo DVR's had none of these problems. Honestly, I can't think of any other 21st century comparable device that has these delays.

Okay, I'll stop venting but someone has to feel my frustration and agree that this is unacceptable based on the fees, contracts, and technology we have available.

Same problems here. I have the latest HD DVR with the latest software update. It is VERY slow. In my over 10 yrs, I have found the E* equipment to be far better then that of D*, and I have had my share of receivers over the past 10 yrs. Can't wait for the HD Tivo!
DIRECTV DVR Service, PREMIER, DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK, HD Access

Toshiba 52" Cinema Series Regza with Super Resolution Technology (52XV545)
Toshiba HD DVD XA2
Toshiba Blu-ray Player
Toshiba Qosmio G45-AV690 Full 1080P HD DVD R/RW
Toshiba Qosmio X505 Full 1080P Blu-ray
XBox 360 Elite

#12 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

I also find it very slow and unresponsive a LOT of the time. Just trying to change the channels is often a chore. If I'm tring to enter "212," a lot of the time I'll have entered the "2" and the "1" and nothing will show up on the screen. Or it will just register the "2" and change to channel 2. It's not the batteries, and it's not interference. It's just a slow to respond DVR, and it's been this way for most of three years!

I NEVER had this problem with any of the DirecTiVos!
HDTV: Samsung HL-S7178 DLP to HR24/20 via HDMI
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
(2) Philips DSR6000 DirecTiVos
HD+SD DVR's to 8 LCDs on Extron matrix switch
Audio: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic
DirecTV since 1995 | NFL-ST since 1995 | TiVo since '00

#13 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

I don't usually speak up unless I am experiencing problems with my HR's, but I will be one of the silent majority and say that I am not experiencing any of the mentioned difficulties. I am sorry that you are, hopefully you may find some suggestions to cure yours. Are the HR's perfect? No, but they reliably do as they are told.

That hasn't been my experience since they forced us to "accept" their own DVR's back in 2006. My experience is that the word "reliable," nor any derivative of the word should be used in conjunction with a DirecTV-DVR!
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic

#14 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

That hasn't been my experience since they forced us to "accept" their own DVR's back in 2006. My experience is that the word "reliable," nor any derivative of the word should be used in conjunction with a DirecTV-DVR!

I msut say I didn't care for them much either after my first R15, the learning curve was the biggest obstacle, but even the R15 was acceptable. The HR20's have been a vast improvement. The last time I used my DTivo, it felt like an antique.

#15 OFFLINE   j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

this happened to me but i corrected it a week before the next update....my guide was way too slow, everytihng. i was getting pissed off. I hadnt reset my box in 1 year.

I clicked the red reset button, soon as it came back up...everything is INSTANT!!! now after the new software its even better. that reset button goes ALONG way. try it you will see :D
Current Setup:
(1) HR24-100
(2) H24-100

50" Panasonic Viera 3D 1080p Plasma TCP50VT25

D* Package:
CHOICE Ultimate™ — Locals Included
HD+Whole Room DVR
HBO/SHO/STZ
HD EXTRA PACK
SPORTS PACK

Happy customer since 09/08

#16 OFFLINE   Andrew67

Andrew67

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

Not contrary to my experience of the experience of a friend of mine. 34C is dog slow.

#17 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:51 PM

I msut say I didn't care for them much either after my first R15, the learning curve was the biggest obstacle, but even the R15 was acceptable. The HR20's have been a vast improvement. The last time I used my DTivo, it felt like an antique.

Well, of course they look "antique" now. They're old technology. But in their day and comparing them to the present day, three-year old HR2* technology, at least they WORKED.

I know that there are different hurdles to jump because streaming technology is vastly different now, but IMO it is FAR more important to make certain that the DVR functions with basic functions properly BEFORE you waste resources on developing the next whiz-bang vaporware! And you should NEVER break working basic functions in order to make vaporware functional!
(1) HR20; (1) HR24

#18 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

this happened to me but i corrected it a week before the next update....my guide was way too slow, everytihng. i was getting pissed off. I hadnt reset my box in 1 year.

I clicked the red reset button, soon as it came back up...everything is INSTANT!!! now after the new software its even better. that reset button goes ALONG way. try it you will see :D

I have 34c, have performed the reset numerous times (thank God they put a reset button on the FRONT of this box because it is my most used feature!) and it is still slow/non-responsive. And it's been this way for three years.
(1) HR20; (1) HR24

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:20 PM

Looks like you are one of the lucky ones that have HR20s rather than a HR21/22/23 - they are the ones that the majority of users say have speed problems. The HR20s are not missing out on the 'lost all my recordings' and 'hard drive noise since the upgrade' problems.

#20 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

To your first point that is relative the amount of people that bother to comment when something works well. But your right about the posts. I guess the people with issues are louder right now. If we started a "positive" thread I think the results would change.

On the last point, this is why I think all issues should be reported in the issues thread so they are read and dealt with. But you are correct that other issues are still there. I think all the STB's have improved based on what I read on here and with time all STB's will continue to get updates/improvements and get better.

I think you're right about people without troubles not posting but when asked it seems like very few said they had a speed increase with the new software... at least other than the boot up speed.

From recent polls by far the marjority of HR21/22/23 users say they are slow.

I'd like to think that DirecTV checks the trouble threads but people have been having the remote response trouble, general slowness and the jump to end problem for longer than I have been a DirecTV customer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...