Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

IIRC, the "CPU" part of the chipset in this case is clocked at around 400MHz; the lower end of Pentium 2 class performance.

I was recently reminded in another thread that it's actually a 300Mhz CPU, equivalent in speed to the Pentium chip released in 1999. As you point out, tho, MPEG decoding, which is probably the most CPU intensive task the HR2x needs to do, is off-loaded from the CPU and handled by a dedicated co-processor. It's a physically separate chip from the CPU in the HR20, and a virtually separate chip in the HR21/22/23's.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

One suggestion that's worked for me is pressing {INFO} before changing channels. This seems to improve performance when pushing channel numbers. I don't know why.

I just tried pressing Info first & then entering the channel # & it did work much better. Possibly because it doesn't have to pull up the banner screen at the same time as it enters the first number? Although on interactive channels like 701, it still had some problems. On those channels pressing Exit (to disable the interactive feature) then Info seemed to help.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#183 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

Its not just the HR21...........

For example, type in 206 and it first tries to change to channel 2, then the 06finally registers and it tries to change to channel 06. This is especially bad when turning on DLB or when the DVR first "wakes up" in the morning.

It is not a matter of weak batteries or some of the other excuses I've seen. All three numbers do finally get registered, but as channel 2 and then channel 06, not 206 as it should be.

Thank you, thank you! This is the same problem I have tried repeatedly to explain in my posts. You are the first to acknowledge the exact same issue I have with my Hr21-100. My Hr21-700 is not affected. The difference between my two Hr models, is the 100 model is networked and the 700 is not. Somehow I bet the network interface is the culprit and not the dvr model. The problem has occurred for me in the last 3 releases.

This is what makes this a great forum!

#184 OFFLINE   bearcat250

bearcat250

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

I suppose you tried slowing your fingers down to match the (degraded) capability of the HR21? That usually works for me. In general, I have to press a series of buttons slowly and very deliberately to have any chance of them all being recognized.

If I go slow it would change to the channel number of the first digit I press (channel 2) then it would change to the channel number of the second digit (channel 4). I would have to use quick tune to go back to Fox News.

#185 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

I have a tip for that too:

- put remote down.
- get up from couch & walk over to dvr.
- change channel on faceplate of dvr.
- go back to couch.
- pick up remote....just because.

Works great. :D

*Of course going from channel 244 to 707-1 takes awhile.

#186 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:12 PM

I have a tip for that too... :D

Totally unfunny. :nono2: And your sarcastic "tip" probably wouldn't work for bearcat250. I have a hunch that his box would be just as slow to react to front-panel entries.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#187 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

I have a tip for that too:

- put remote down.
- get up from couch & walk over to dvr.
- change channel on faceplate of dvr.
- go back to couch.
- pick up remote....just because.

Works great. :D

*Of course going from channel 244 to 707-1 takes awhile.

:lol:

#188 OFFLINE   Rpbertxyz

Rpbertxyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:57 AM

One suggestion that's worked for me is pressing {INFO} before changing channels. This seems to improve performance when pushing channel numbers. I don't know why.

Ive got a Pronto, and I couldn't get the channels (macros} to work consistently for almost a year on my HR22-100. Your tip has solved the problem, so that I can add info to the macros. Like somebody says, I hope somebody at Directv takes notes and gets it fixed.

Thank You Bob H.

#189 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:41 AM

We are awaiting delivery of our TiVo superboxes in 2010. :D (Knock on wood.) In the meantime, I use my HR10-250 for about 75% of series viewing (HD OTA.)

I hope that the HR2x faithful get the option of an HR superbox of their own in 2010 as well. You guys have earned it.

Cannot wait for the Tivo

Their ad slogan should be "Tivo, It just works!" :lol:

Last night I was watching Fox News and I wanted to change the channel to check how the baseball game was going. The HR21 would not allow me to enter 247 to change to TBS. It would only see the 2 and change to channel 2. I gave up after a few minutes and had to go to the guide and go to TBS 247 from there to change the channel to 247. This is just one example of how the HR21's are performing lately and it is unacceptable. I hope this message gets to the D engineers.

Exactly! Sluggish guide response, 2-0-6 turns into 20 "channel unavailable"

Its not just the HR21. I keep hearing how wonderful the HR20-700s are. I will tell you, although I have no issue with the speed of moving through the menu and guide, the HR20-700 has the same keybounce issues I've seen reported with others.

For example, type in 206 and it first tries to change to channel 2, then the 06 finally registers and it tries to change to channel 06. This is especially bad when turning on DLB or when the DVR first "wakes up" in the morning.

It is not a matter of weak batteries or some of the other excuses I've seen. All three numbers do finally get registered, but as channel 2 and then channel 06, not 206 as it should be.

I will admit, my HR20 is lightning speed compared to my HR21, but the SD Tivos still run circles around the HRs

Wow, that did work! Thanks

I just tried pressing Info first & then entering the channel # & it did work much better. Possibly because it doesn't have to pull up the banner screen at the same time as it enters the first number? Although on interactive channels like 701, it still had some problems. On those channels pressing Exit (to disable the interactive feature) then Info seemed to help.

Here's my question:

Why does the guide banner have to show up everytime after a channel change? That is one thing I cannot stand! I know what channel I'm going to, there is no need for the banner to come up again. It doesn't do it on my DirecTivos at all!

If I go to ESPN 206, I just want the channel to change and that's it. The guide banner just slows things down once again. I severely hope they take this feature off in a future update. Perhaps a "no channel banner" option, it'd make me so happy.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#190 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

I noticed teh INFO trick wors as well. It must "wake up" the reciever and interrupt some background process so it can start responding or something.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#191 OFFLINE   itguy05

itguy05

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

The bulk of the processing in these machines is handled by special purpose processors as opposed to a strong central processor as you suggest. IIRC, the "CPU" part of the chipset in this case is clocked at around 400MHz; the lower end of Pentium 2 class performance.

Mhz does not equal performance - RISC is much more efficient than, say CISC and often performs at a 1.5-2x higher level than its Mhz would suggest.

For example, the PowerPC G3/G4 at, say 800 Mhz were often as fast as a Pentium 4 at 1.6Ghz.

And I can't imagine shuffling 1920x1080 on something pretty static takes that long.

#192 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

Mhz does not equal performance - RISC is much more efficient than, say CISC and often performs at a 1.5-2x higher level than its Mhz would suggest.

For example, the PowerPC G3/G4 at, say 800 Mhz were often as fast as a Pentium 4 at 1.6Ghz.

And I can't imagine shuffling 1920x1080 on something pretty static takes that long.

Microprocessors today are RISC/CISC hybrids. Some are more RISC than CISC and vice versa. And a 1 MHz part will run slower than a 1 GHz part, so it is at least some indicator of performance.

That has nothing to do with this topic -- I don't believe there is a real microprocessor in the DVR. Designs like this are either:

1. One microprocessor running the show with one or more FPGAs doing the grunt work.

2. One or more FPGAs that have virual processors in them. One or two virtual processors run the show, the others do the grunt work. These virtual processors are always way slower than a real one.

I've had much more success with option #1 than option #2. But we'd have to compare the chips used in various DVRs to see if D* short-changed themselves in hardware, and that would be very difficult.

One thing's for sure -- with this many people having problems, the DVR is simply not fast enough.

#193 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Cannot wait for the Tivo. Their ad slogan should be "Tivo, It just works!" :lol:
Why does the guide banner have to show up everytime after a channel change? That is one thing I cannot stand! I know what channel I'm going to, there is no need for the banner to come up again. It doesn't do it on my DirecTivos at all!

Can't wait? Me too. "It just works," sure, but Dish DVRs just work, too -- at long last. ;)

I'm replying because "It doesn't do it on my DirecTivos" sounded wrong. To check, I changed channels a few times on my HR10-250, and sure enough, the banner popped up as soon as I entered the first digit -- as I remembered, and just as the HR2x boxes do (except, of course, for the big delay the HR2x always imposes before any response).
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#194 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Can't wait? Me too. "It just works," sure, but Dish DVRs just work, too -- at long last. ;)

I'm replying because "It doesn't do it on my DirecTivos" sounded wrong. To check, I changed channels a few times on my HR10-250, and sure enough, the banner popped up as soon as I entered the first digit -- as I remembered, and just as the HR2x boxes do (except, of course, for the big delay the HR2x always imposes before any response).

Let me rephrase, I was talking about when the channel actually changes.

So if I put 2 0 6 for ESPN, yes the banner will come up at first, but once the channel changes, the banner doesn't show up again, it just goes straight to the program.

Whereas, with the HR20,21,22s........... the banner comes up both times.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#195 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

Whenever I let someone try out my HR21-200 remote who is looking at getting DirecTV none ever do because they say how slow the guide and channel selection is. I heard this from someone looking at my DVR today. I tell them that it has improved greatly over the last couple of years.

#196 OFFLINE   Beckzilla

Beckzilla

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

I know I'm new here. I love this website -- been reading it for a couple years and finally decided to sign up so I could post. I'm a big Directv fan -- over 10 years been a loyal customer but I have to vent some frustration over the speeds of these HD DVR's.

Please explain why I press the guide button and it takes sometimes up to 10 seconds to display. Then when I decide I want to put in a channel number it sometimes doesn't take it or forgets the 2nd out of the 3 digits I pressed. I keep getting that similar sounding TIVO error boink. I don't typically complain, but why is this an issue?

I have both HR22's and 23's and experience the same problems frequently on all of them. Why such a delay? Shouldn't this be the number one priority to rectify in a software update?

My buddy has the D12-700 (yes it's a standard receiver, but shouldn't be an excuse) and it's wonderful because he experiences no delay. It's the same looking platform, remote and Dtv box so I don't understand it.

My old Tivo DVR's had none of these problems. Honestly, I can't think of any other 21st century comparable device that has these delays.

Okay, I'll stop venting but someone has to feel my frustration and agree that this is unacceptable based on the fees, contracts, and technology we have available.

Will this ever be fixed or will I have to wait for the new HD TIVO in 2010?

I too am having these exact same symptoms and it is by far the biggest annoyance I have with DTV. This has been going on for a long time and remote response is pitiful. Have HR22-100.

#197 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

It will be interesting to see when those really seeing a speed issue get 0x0368. The speed is being reported as a big update.

#198 OFFLINE   Beckzilla

Beckzilla

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

This is the number one thing that I absolutely cannot stand with this box. SIMPLE CHANNEL CHANGES. For all that they wanna cram into this box featurewise, they need to take a step BACK and remember that this box still needs to be able to do the BASIC stuff like change channel PROPERLY and RELIABLY.

I have been complaining about this for a LONG time, but it seems they either can't figure out how to fix it or just don't wanna be bothered. Pressing channel numbers on the remote is a pure crap shoot at times as to whether the box will actually either recognize that I even pressed a button, or take it's sweet time in realizing I did and when it finally feels like displaying the digit I pressed, it's too late to press another because the delay between button presses is over and it thinks I'm done entering numbers, or better yet I've repressed the number thinking it missed it so I get two of the same digit entered.

They flat out really need to fix this issue.

I am having this same problem and it is maddening!!!!!!!!!!

#199 OFFLINE   bearcat250

bearcat250

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:02 AM

I've been a D customer for 9 1/2 years and never had a reason to call and complain about my D service, but I'm about ready. My question is, would it be worth a call to complain about the sloooooooooow remote respone that a lot of us have experienced in the past few weeks?

#200 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:37 AM

I've been a D customer for 9 1/2 years and never had a reason to call and complain about my D service, but I'm about ready. My question is, would it be worth a call to complain about the sloooooooooow remote respone that a lot of us have experienced in the past few weeks?

I would see if this new firmware that is being sent out to everyone makes a difference. If you still are not happy with the performance then it wont hurt to call.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...