Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

I was wondering about available drive space also, or drive configuration.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   christo76

christo76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

OK.. just RBRd and again, it is faster, for how long who knows. It does seem still slightly slower to bring up the guide than it used to be (used to be instant) but now I think its at the level HDTVfan claims everyone has it at.
It does exit instantly, which is nice.

To help clarify how long of a delay I was talking about, I will use some actual statement that were being spoken on TV at the time...

With delay, Peter Gammans on ESPN managed to say this entire statement between the time I pressed Guide and it coming on screen... "Cuz, ya know, I think everyone expects Cliffs Lee is gonna come out and throw another gem."

After the RBR he gets this statement out between pressing Guide and seeing guide...
"I think so because..."
Actually it came up during 'because'

If it stayed like this I could deal with it. But with the long delay I question if it got the signal, but if I press it again it will come up with the category guide style, and once thats up, there is another delay before it goes back to the time listing.
Now that we have DLB, I have nothing unique I want to put here.

#283 OFFLINE   christo76

christo76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

Drive is 50% free.

I have a laptop cooling fan sits on top of the HR20 and runs constantly to keep the temp down (currently reads 113 deg). Though I did that trying to fix the constant statc-like drops I got recording from OTA, and they are now back since the fall season started up again.

#284 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

Then why has it never done this prior to this version? And why is it caching every time and not just once. And then... why is it happening with LIST?

And you cannot tell me that everyones system SLOWER than this in 34c that they are raving about how fast this is.

Not too mention, why did it get faster for 1 day after a RBR only to go slow again. Cache issue shouldn't cause that, unless they really screwed up how the system creates/uses the cache in the latest release

As far as caching, remember that time moves forward, so the "current" GUIDE information won't be current after the next 1-30 minutes.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#285 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

OK.. just RBRd and again, it is faster, for how long who knows. It does seem still slightly slower to bring up the guide than it used to be (used to be instant) but now I think its at the level HDTVfan claims everyone has it at.
It does exit instantly, which is nice.

This sounds like the way it's supposed to be and what most people are enjoying .. When you were seeing the delay before, what channel where you tuned to? It sounds like you were on ESPN, I wonder if the the ScoreGuide functionality might have been affecting this somehow.

Still, the usability after display should have been significantly better than before.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#286 OFFLINE   christo76

christo76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

As far as caching, remember that time moves forward, so the "current" GUIDE information won't be current after the next 1-30 minutes.

Yes, but it is erasing the entire cache and rebuilding it or just adding on the new info and erasing expired info.

Either way, its moot,because the delay is gone after an RBR, meaning it can't be cache driven. and if/when the delay returns it indicates some other issue caused by the update. (I can safely say that because the problem appeared the first time I used the system after the update)

#287 OFFLINE   christo76

christo76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

This sounds like the way it's supposed to be and what most people are enjoying .. When you were seeing the delay before, what channel where you tuned to? It sounds like you were on ESPN, I wonder if the the ScoreGuide functionality might have been affecting this somehow.

Still, the usability after display should have been significantly better than before.

Channel didn't matter. I could be on OTA, Mpeg4, Mpeg2, VOD

#288 OFFLINE   christo76

christo76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

When the delay comes back I will try to take a video of it and try to post it here to demonstrate, though I don't think that will help anymore than the Peter Gammons statements.

#289 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

I may have missed it, how old is this unit?
it may be dieing and the new software attributes have brought it out into the open.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#290 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

I know that twice my TiVo unit experienced sluggishness and was very slow and then the hard drive died due to bad sectors that it kept taking time to take out of service and replace with optional good sectors. That takes alot of time as far as a PC is concerned so you could have a dying hard drive.

And Yes when I would RBR it, it would speed up for a short period of time and then slow down again and stutter and pixellate, etc.

How OLD is that unit??? What model DVR is it?

#291 OFFLINE   hadji

hadji

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

No more clicking hard drive chatter and significantly quicker guide and search. Now if D will just leave things B.

#292 OFFLINE   christo76

christo76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

I may have missed it, how old is this unit?
it may be dieing and the new software attributes have brought it out into the open.

About as old as an HR20 can be, Aug/Sep '06. Original software 0xAC.

I don't think its the hardware dying, but if it is, then I think I will be done with Directv. Not gonna pay out for a new HDDVR if they killed this one. I'd rather upgrade my video card and get another OTA tuner for the PC and just deal with recording OTA.

#293 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

If you do need a new DVR, I'm sure they'll send you one for minimal cost if you extend your commitment.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#294 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

Ok,

To be fair, after all the continuous complaining from myself, I will finally give Kudos to the DirecTV engineering dept for a job well done with the latest firmware.

My speeds are now tolerable and it's a total 180 from the previous firmware that was put out.

So thanks to you DirecTV, I'm now a happier person.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#295 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

I know where your coming from - my roommate chucked the remote across the room the other day. He was just trying to enter in a channel number and it kept laggin out. My moto comcast box ran better than these. Why doesn't dtv put some decent hardware in these things? I would pay double for a fast box and my roommate prob triple. Throw a corei7 in there with a solid state drive.

#296 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,371 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:26 AM

Throw a corei7 in there with a solid state drive.

While this was the standard Pee Cee mentality prior to the advent of gaming cards with much more power than similarly priced CPUs, that processor alone would probably not be up to the tasks (decoding, decrypting, CG, overlay) and it would cost hundreds of dollars more than what they're using.

Doing stuff in software takes quite a bit more horsepower than doing it in hardware and nobody's going to sit still for a DVR that consumes many dozens of watts of power when in standby.

#297 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

While this was the standard Pee Cee mentality prior to the advent of gaming cards with much more power than similarly priced CPUs, that processor alone would probably not be up to the tasks (decoding, decrypting, CG, overlay) and it would cost hundreds of dollars more than what they're using.

Doing stuff in software takes quite a bit more horsepower than doing it in hardware and nobody's going to sit still for a DVR that consumes many dozens of watts of power when in standby.

So what kinda hardware would u need in there 2 make it fly?

spam firewall