Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   beer_geek

beer_geek

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:41 AM

My HR-22s are pigs. They've gotten worse since the new update. Punch in 3 numbers for a channel and it only acknowledges 2 of them. It shouldn't take 3-5 seconds to acknowledge pressing the guide button. Same with the down arrow.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,989 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:26 AM

From recent polls by far the marjority of HR21/22/23 users say they are slow.

Really?

Please point links to these polls (must be more than one, huh?) that point to slower response since 34C was pushed out....should be interesting....especially since a number of folks only got that version about a week ago....and most the week before...I'm sure folks love to see polls on performance even before they get the firmware updates or have it operating for a day or two...meaningful data, I'm sure :rolleyes:

That's not to say some aren't experiencing slowness, but your implication that it's rampant is grossly misleading and inaccurate.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:41 AM

Really?

Please point links to these polls (must be more than one, huh?) that point to slower response since 34C was pushed out....should be interesting....especially since a number of folks only got that version about a week ago....and most the week before...I'm sure folks love to see polls on performance even before they get the firmware updates or have it operating for a day or two...meaningful data, I'm sure :rolleyes:

That's not to say some aren't experiencing slowness, but your implication that it's rampant is grossly misleading and inaccurate.

don't get sucked into this, its an unwinnable objective.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#24 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,339 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:47 AM

Really?

Here's the link to the HR21 poll :

http://www.dbstalk.c...t=165384&page=2

Note that nearly all said the HR21 was slower than all other DVRs and slower than most other DVRs. This poll started before the download and carried on afterward.

There were polls for each of the HRs, just look right here on this forum.

His implication is far from 'grossly misleading and innacurate'!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#25 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

Really?

I thought that most had received the update before the polls but maybe not.

Maybe you could point to all those posts that show a speed increase since the new version? I couldn't see more than a post or two claiming to have an increase in speed. At least other than the reboot speed anyway... Where did you get your information to show that my implication is 'grossly misleading and inaccurate.'?

I don't see the point of having another poll but if you think it is worth having another poll beating the dead horse go for it! I think even you would have to admit the poll results are going to be more of the same.... The HR21/22/23 receivers are slower than just about all other HD DVRS and people are tired of 'they are working on the fix - should be here soon...' blah blah blah...

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:56 AM

I agree!

#27 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:06 AM

Thats totally contrary to what most posters are saying - speed is improved & less problems since 34C went out. :rolleyes:
Yes...check that setting and try with scrolling turned off...see if that makes any different for you...

Well. "speed" may be better with 34C, but there are still plenty of people complaining about missed remote keypresses. Personally, I think much of the speed issues people are seeing are really times when the receiver just did not respond to the remote command.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#28 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,989 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

There were polls for each of the HRs, just look right here on this forum.

His implication is far from 'grossly misleading and inncurate'!

Respectfully disagree - it is indeed misleading...people were operating with 2 entirely versions of the firmware during the term of the poll....and it's feedback all in one poll.

Mr. Greer has posted results on his HR22 in the past, which HAS indeed shown slowness prior to 34C.

Since the 34C firmware was pushed out over almost a months time throughout September, and that poll began prior to that...that specific poll is therefore highly tainted in the least and the data skewed.

In any case, it is equally important that any intent to lump things together for multiple DVRs, and then multiple firmware versions is simply of no value to anyone.

It's important to report/poll on specific devices (and individual firmware versions) to get anything resembling accurate data. This has been done numerous times in the past.

Well. "speed" may be better with 34C, but there are still plenty of people complaining about missed remote keypresses. Personally, I think much of the speed issues people are seeing are really times when the receiver just did not respond to the remote command.

Entirely a different issue and source of the problem. I suspect we'll see something addressing that in the next update...the lag appears to be more of an issue on certain models, but it has indeed been reported by a number of folks with those models.

I thought that most had received the update before the polls but maybe not.

Maybe you could point to all those posts that show a speed increase since the new version?

The 34C thread is clearly labeled as such in the DirecTV DVR forum....but then...I suspect you knew that.

#29 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:15 AM

I agree!

What are you agreeing with, Mike? David's this and it are undefined! At least I can't decipher his meaning.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#30 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,989 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

To simply things....

If we can have threads and/or polls that reflect specific device models with specific firmware versions, we'll likely get some form of better representation of the performance and results.

Simply making global statements about the entire HRx stable and multiple firmware versions out there provides little value to anyone.

One example is a past thread on the HR22 that Mr Greer participated in prior to 34C. That was indeed specific.

#31 OFFLINE   heaphus

heaphus

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've been seeing these same problems on a HR20-100. I initially thought it was a remote problem, but it is not. My other HR20-100 seems to be fine, but I'll have to take a closer look, as it doesn't get used nearly as much.

**Edit** I should add that this is since getting 34C.

#32 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

It doesn't matter to me if my DVR is the slowest or the fastest, as long as it is reliable and not too slow. And even though my HR20s are faster than my HR22 or R22 with HD, they are all acceptable.

Remember, when comparing devices, one or the other must be the slowest (unless there are several that are the same.) What matters is, is it fast enough? Mine are.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#33 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,339 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:32 AM

Respectfully disagree - it is indeed misleading...people were operating with 2 entirely versions of the firmware during the term of the poll....and it's feedback all in one poll.

Mr. Greer has posted results on his HR22 in the past, which HAS indeed shown slowness prior to 34C.

Since the 34C firmware was pushed out over almost a months time throughout September, and that poll began prior to that...that specific poll is therefore highly tainted in the least and the data skewed.

In any case, it is equally important that any intent to lump things together for multiple DVRs, and then multiple firmware versions is simply of no value to anyone.

It's important to report/poll on specific devices (and individual firmware versions) to get anything resembling accurate data. This has been done numerous times in the past.

While it is interesting to note that the poll started before the update came out, I was watching that poll on a daily basis, especially the HR21 version of it. I noticed that after the update was fully out there, the negative numbers ROSE!

While you can certainly stick your head in the sand in the case of the HR21, the polling is reasonably as valid as any non-scientific can be. The update did not do anything to improve speed on the HR21s.

The most irritating part with the HR21 is that nearly 2 years ago when I got mine, it was faster than it is today. The remote responded better too. So after a plethora of 'updates' to fix problems, it is slower and less responsive to the remote.

And don't even let me get started with the skip-to-end bug! :(

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Jlg

Jlg

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

After all these years there is no question that DirecTV knows about the problems. They are supposedly reading these forums and complaint after complaint doesn't seem to make any difference.

I doubt they will fix the receivers - seems the only hope is to use the old HR20s (that are quicker by a bit but still seem to have some of the other problems) or wait until there is a new box. Hopefully no one that has worked on the HR2x series will be allowed ANY input on whatever they are developing!

Yes, they know there are problems, but only numbers will make a difference. The more people who will actually call a service rep and complain and get into the database, the more weight the problem has. They may read these forums, but it doesn't have the impact of someone taking the time to call in.

As far as the different models, I have an HR20, and it is still a dog using the guide. I think you are partially right about the old hardware not being up to doing the tasks being asked of it anymore, but there really needs to be a way for the consumer to opt out of on-demand and get the responsiveness back. I'm waiting impatiently for the new Tivo's to be available.

#35 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

I thought that most had received the update before the polls but maybe not...

You were right the first time. ;) The 0x034C update started rolling out around 8-22-09. I received it on 9-15, and nearly everyone was updated by 9-22. Four polls were started at about the same time:
9-22, 09:31a -- HR20 "Speed Poll" -- 23.53% said Slower than all and 8.24% said Slower than some
9-22, 09:52a -- HR21 "Speed Poll" -- 50.36% said Slower than all and 21.17% said Slower than some
9-22, 09:58a -- HR22 "Speed Poll" -- 50.88% said Slower than all and 22.81% said Slower than some
9-22, 10:02a -- HR23 "Speed Poll" -- 29.73% said Slower than all and 21.62% said Slower than some

The HR20 poll was originally titled "Slowness Poll". But, as many DBSTalkers have reported, the HR20 is the one that's not so slow. It's interesting to see that the HR23 comes in second, while the other two are in a statistical tie for last place -- way behind the other two.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Entirely a different issue and source of the problem. I suspect we'll see something addressing that in the next update...the lag appears to be more of an issue on certain models, but it has indeed been reported by a number of folks with those models.

The 34C thread is clearly labeled as such in the DirecTV DVR forum....but then...I suspect you knew that.

My HR22s with the latest and greatest may be faster but it such a small change I don't think I can see it. Still way to slow. The biggest difference is the jump to end/beginning is much worse now than ever!

If you'd like to start a poll that meets your needs go ahead but unless you can somehow phrase it so it has bias toward more speed I think you'll not be happy with the results.

Addressed in the next upgrade? I've heard that before!

I checked the thread you mentioned and there are very few people that say their HRs are faster - more claim slower and additional problems. The only common good comments are about adding the new mostly dual live buffers...

My HR22s are currently slower than a year ago when I first switched to DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket.... I think I've been waiting for the fixes in the next release a bit too long. Don't see it happening but I will be happy to say I was wrong if they ever speed these up and/or make it so they don't skip to the end and you can enter channel number 100% of the time....

#37 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,989 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

While it is interesting to note that the poll started before the update came out, I was watching that poll on a daily basis, especially the HR21 version of it. I noticed that after the update was fully out there, the negative numbers ROSE!

While you can certainly stick your head in the sand in the case of the HR21, the polling is reasonably as valid as any non-scientific can be. The update did not do anything to improve speed on the HR21s.

As someone who has an HR21-200, and also followed that thread virtually daily....you summation is questionable and could be debated, but to no avail.

Hardly sticking a head in the sand, as you chose to put it. :rolleyes:

When polls run their course...it is not uncommon at all that the positive and negative results tend to post early on...and then as polls age, the results slow down and potentially skew the totals. Not at all uncommon.

These polls also only represent those folks willing to take the time to post their results, which is a fraction of the user base. Whether or not they are representative to the main user base %'s is unknown and likely debatible.

The bottom line is that a specific poll on a specific device using a specific firmware version is at least a viable approach to seizing some form of respectable feedback.

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

What are you agreeing with, Mike? David's this and it are undefined! At least I can't decipher his meaning.

Sorry - I was agreeing that Mr. HDTVFAN0001 should not get sucked into this argument. He can't convince me that my HR22s are now fast!

Not quite what David's comment was about...:lol:

#39 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,989 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

The 0x034C update started rolling out around 8-22-09. I received it on 9-15, and nearly everyone was updated by 9-22. Four polls were started at about the same time:
9-22, 09:31a -- HR20 "Speed Poll" -- 23.53% said Slower than all and 8.24% said Slower than some
9-22, 09:52a -- HR21 "Speed Poll" -- 50.36% said Slower than all and 21.17% said Slower than some
9-22, 09:58a -- HR22 "Speed Poll" -- 50.88% said Slower than all and 22.81% said Slower than some
9-22, 10:02a -- HR23 "Speed Poll" -- 29.73% said Slower than all and 21.62% said Slower than some

The HR20 poll was originally titled "Slowness Poll". But, as many DBSTalkers have reported, the HR20 is the one that's not so slow. It's interesting to see that the HR23 comes in second, while the other two are in a statistical tie for last place -- way behind the other two.

Despite the actual number of posters being somehwat small numbers....making the %'s suspect....

Thanks for putting these together in one place...it paints a better summary picture, and is in line with what I've been "preaching" the past few posts. At least its apples-to-apples.

Appreciate it that you put this together in once place, which tells the story in context much better.

#40 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

To simply things....

If we can have threads and/or polls that reflect specific device models with specific firmware versions, we'll likely get some form of better representation of the performance and results.

Simply making global statements about the entire HRx stable and multiple firmware versions out there provides little value to anyone.

One example is a past thread on the HR22 that Mr Greer participated in prior to 34C. That was indeed specific.

Ok - one more time - I have 3 HR22s with 34c that are generally slow, frequently jump to the end when I try to fast foward, I can't change channels by entering the numbers much of the time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...