Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   04Taco

04Taco

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

I have three DVRs. One HR20 and two HR22s. The HR20 is by far faster and more responsive. I find myself having to wait for button presses and missing numbers when I manually change channels on my 22s. My dad also has a HR23 and it too is slow. They are all supposed to be relatively the same internally with minor updates to each model. They all use the same software only designed for each repsective model so why the speed difference?
HR-24-100 connectd by HDMI to Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR-22-100 w/AM21 connectd by HDMI to Sony KDL-32XBR6
HR-22-100 w/AM21 connectd by HDMI to Sony KDL-32XBR9
H-20-100 connected HDMI to Sony KDL-32BX420
Playstation 3 80 gb Console (w 500gb HD)
Playstation 3 160 gb Console
Playstation 3 Slim 120 gb Console (w 500gb HD)
Playstation 3 Slim 160 gb Console
OFF Air Antenna

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

Despite the actual number of posters being somehwat small numbers....making the %'s suspect....

Thanks for putting these together in one place...it paints a better summary picture, and is in line with what I've been "preaching" the past few posts. At least its apples-to-apples.

Appreciate it that you put this together in once place, which tells the story in context much better.

So those numbers look good to you? Most think their HR21/22/23 are at least slower than other DVRs half say their HR21/22 are slower than ANY they have used. Only DirecTV could be proud of these numbers.

#43 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

I have three DVRs. One HR20 and two HR22s. The HR20 is by far faster and more responsive. I find myself having to wait for button presses and missing numbers when I manually change channels on my 22s. My dad also has a HR23 and it too is slow. They are all supposed to be relatively the same internally with minor updates to each model. They all use the same software only designed for each repsective model so why the speed difference?

DirecTV saved money by going backward in performance to save money. The HR20 must have cost them too much cash to have built for them so they cut corners on the newer ones.

#44 OFFLINE   mndwalsh

mndwalsh

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

I have noticed major slowness on my 3 recievers. Mostly on my HR21-700 but have noticed on my others as well. My HR21-700 has had remote response problems for over a month, thought it was the remote but it does it with another remote also (both IR and RF). See attached pic as this is the problem I am running into now (was an OTA recording). I have been restarting the receivers on a regular basis as it seems to help. Of all my receivers the oldest one HR20-700 seems to be frunning the best but all have the remote lag, I also have a HR22-100.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot.jpg

#45 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

Despite the actual number of posters being somehwat small numbers....making the %'s suspect....

Thanks for putting these together in one place...it paints a better summary picture, and is in line with what I've been "preaching" the past few posts. At least its apples-to-apples.

Appreciate it that you put this together in once place, which tells the story in context much better.

Note those numbers for the HR21. On the 22nd, those reporting slower than all or most, totalled about 72%, when the last post was made, those numbers rose to above 90%.

Hardly a good picture to paint.

But I've cured my HR21 problem today. I finally said to heck with this and cancelled DirecTV. When/if they either come out with a good HDDVR, I'll revisit subscribing, but as of right now, I don't think you can update the firmware enough to make a sluggish design enough faster to make a difference. I firmly believe that D* has been stretching the capabilities of the HR series beyond what the hardware can actually do well.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#46 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

So those numbers look good to you? Most think their HR21/22/23 are at least slower than other DVRs half say their HR21/22 are slower than ANY they have used. Only DirecTV could be proud of these numbers.

when the polling was done nearly 70% of the HR21 voters showed slower than ANY they have used. Pretty damning imo.

Lloyd

#47 OFFLINE   BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

I have DP but I can't swear that I have 'C'.

Far from an expert on all these issues, but I gotta agree with the OP. My 21 is very, very slow.

#48 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

Ok - one more time - I have 3 HR22s with 34c that are generally slow, frequently jump to the end when I try to fast foward, I can't change channels by entering the numbers much of the time.

Doubt anyone missed that....but that was what I was recalling you stated for some time now. Thanks.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#49 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

But I've cured my HR21 problem today. I finally said to heck with this and cancelled DirecTV.

To each his own. My HR21-200 is running just fine thank you.

#50 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

To each his own. My HR21-200 is running just fine thank you.

I have the HR21-700 and it worked fine until after the updates provided since 2/2008. :(

Since those updates, it is slower, doesn't respond to the remote well at all, and has that pesky skip-to-end-way-too-much bug! Hey, but it does have DLB kind of. :) That isn't really important to me though.

For me, either service provides the channels I watch in HD, so switching between them isn't a big deal. The cost for service is similar, the channel lineup is close enough to equal for me, and I'm not a sports nut.

Other than the hardware, either service is more than good enough. When/if D* comes out with a much better HDDVR, I may consider switching back.

Lloyd

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

I have the HR21-700 and it worked fine until after the updates provided since 2/2008. :(

Since those updates, it is slower, doesn't respond to the remote well at all, and has that pesky skip-to-end-way-too-much bug! Hey, but it does have DLB kind of. :) That isn't really important to me though.

For me, either service provides the channels I watch in HD, so switching between them isn't a big deal. The cost for service is similar, the channel lineup is close enough to equal for me, and I'm not a sports nut.

Other than the hardware, either service is more than good enough. When/if D* comes out with a much better HDDVR, I may consider switching back.

OK. Best wishes.

#52 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

[quote name='lparsons21']
But I've cured my HR21 problem today. I finally said to heck with this and cancelled DirecTV.

Don't close the door too tightly behind you as you may find the features and usability of the competitions DVR's are less than you are expecting.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#53 OFFLINE   MycroftHolmes

MycroftHolmes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

I also have to agree with the OP. When version 312 came out I remember thinking how much faster it was than the previous version. When 34C came out I immediately noticed the slowness. I’ve had 34C for a few weeks now and the slowness is still there. It’s not nearly as bad as the version before 312, but for me it’s noticeably slower than 312.

Maybe this warrants its own poll?

ETA: My unit is an HR21-700

#54 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

[quote name='davring'][quote name='lparsons21']

Don't close the door too tightly behind you as you may find the features and usability of the competitions DVR's are less than you are expecting.[/QUOTE]

I'm very familiar with both systems as I've had both. I like some of both of them and dislike some of them too. But overall, I like it to do what I tell it to do when I tell it. The remote response is a big issue, and as of right now, the HR21 (and maybe others) don't do it well.

Lloyd

#55 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

[quote name='davring'][quote name='lparsons21']

Don't close the door too tightly behind you as you may find the features and usability of the competitions DVR's are less than you are expecting.[/QUOTE]

Just curious - what features and usability problems have you had with Dish Network HD DVRs... Real question - I don't remember gaining anything other than Sunday Ticket when I switched.

The reality is that even with the way I feel the HRs are - I would be happy if they could make them run even close to the speed of the Dish Network HD DVRs and get rid of that freakin' jump to the end problem.

#56 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

[quote name='Mike Greer'][quote name='davring']

Just curious - what features and usability problems have you had with Dish Network HD DVRs... Real question - I don't remember gaining anything other than Sunday Ticket when I switched.
[/QUOTE]

For me, the recording management is a bit more awkward on the Dish HDDVRs. I really like the way that D* does it.

One button record, easier deletions and so forth. I think the reasoning with Dish in this area is that when you hit the record button, you might want to record it once, series link (or whatever), but maybe all you want is to auto-tune to a program when it comes on. D* doesn't do auto-tune, and I don't use that as I seldom watch live programming.

Overall, it is really just a difference in the way that they approach the UI and neither is perfect. Both do a very good job other than the slowness in the D* HRs.

Lloyd

#57 OFFLINE   wismile

wismile

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

Polls aside I am one person that runs 5 HD DVRs

The two HR20 units are very responsive and never keep me waiting.

Of the two HR22 units one is slow but usually responsive...the other is unresponsive to channel inputs more than 70% of the time! I find that extremely frustrating and an issue that should be resolved.

The TIVO HR10-250 may be dated technology...but it's ALWAYS responsive.

The fact that so many people are arguing about polls means nothing to those of us that can't simply change a channel on our TV without making several attempts. :(
Panasonic TH-58PZ850u
Toshiba 32AV502u
Sony KV-40XBR800
Yamaha VX-861 AV Receiver
Sony PS3
(1) HR10-250
(2) HR20-700
(2) HR22-100
Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapters (XAV101)
Ka/Ku 5 LNB Dish w/(2) Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-Switches
Channel Master 4228 w/CM-7777 Preamp

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

The fact that so many people are arguing about polls means nothing to those of us that can't simply change a channel on our TV without making several attempts. :(

That is indeed what counts in the end!

#59 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

The TIVO HR10-250 may be dated technology...but it's ALWAYS responsive.

These two points should be repeated over and over and over and over... ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#60 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

These two points should be repeated over and over and over and over... ;)

yep.

The simple fact is that TiVo always made certain that the basic functions work consistently and perfectly. And they do THAT before they start work on bells and whistles! Having Mediashare/whatever-whiz-bang feature that will be used occasionally means very little when PAUSE,FF, REW, change channels, always-used-basic-functions almost NEVER works properly or quickly!

And I have an HR20, and it's ALWAYS been SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.
HDTV: Samsung HL-S7178 DLP to HR24/20 via HDMI
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
(2) Philips DSR6000 DirecTiVos
HD+SD DVR's to 8 LCDs on Extron matrix switch
Audio: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic
DirecTV since 1995 | NFL-ST since 1995 | TiVo since '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...