Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

These two points should be repeated over and over and over and over... ;)

Not to worry....they have been. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

I think it is time for us to face the music - the speed of the HR21/22/23 is what it is and until something new comes out we're stuck.

Not really. We got rid of the HR22 that D* brought us, when we got a third HRxx. We bought us an HR20 instead, just like our other 2 HR20s. We hated the HR22, since it was so slow. We are again very happy.

Many places from Weaknees to Ebay will sell you an HR20. Time is short. Don't waste it on an HR21/22/23.

That's my 2 cents based on our experience.

#63 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

yep.

The simple fact is that TiVo always made certain that the basic functions work consistently and perfectly. And they do THAT before they start work on bells and whistles! Having Mediashare/whatever-whiz-bang feature that will be used occasionally means very little when PAUSE,FF, REW, change channels, always-used-basic-functions almost NEVER works properly or quickly!

And I have an HR20, and it's ALWAYS been SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.

We have 3 HR20s, all with big internal drives. All are very fast. I think some external drives might slow it down, but that is just a guess.

#64 OFFLINE   Jlg

Jlg

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

After calling several times to complain, DTV sent me a replacment receiver at no charge. It's an HR20-100, and it brandly new, clean, and yet slower than the one I was complaining about. I give up.

#65 OFFLINE   sko58

sko58

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Count me in as someone who's had nothing but problems with 2 of my HR23-700's.

I called to complain so many times about them that D* finally offered to send a tech guy out to see what might be wrong.

The guy walked in my door, asked me which receivers I had - and when I said HR23-700's - he asked me if they had the latest software update...I said yes...and he turned around and said "he might as well leave."

We both laughed for a second and I said "they're that bad, huh?" He said he has yet to see one of the 23-700's that WASN'T slow!

He told me there are so many people p!ssed off about it that they're spending 30-40% of their time just responding to people who've been complaining about poor response from their receivers.

I live in South Dakota and D* recently opened their own office here in my city and the tech support is D* owned - not sub-contracted. They've recently installed *many* HR23-700's due to the digital transition and he said it's the SINGLE WORST THING they've ever done!

'Nuff said!

They suck - no if's, and's or maybe's about it.

#66 OFFLINE   mjbvideo

mjbvideo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, I had a tech out the other day and he more or less said the same thing about the boxes. Also, he didn't have any info on the Tivo boxes.

#67 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, I had a tech out the other day and he more or less said the same thing about the boxes. Also, he didn't have any info on the Tivo boxes.

If my experience with the previous HD DirecTiVo is any indication, the techs and the CSRs will be the last people to know about the new box. I had to convince the CSR that activated mine that it was a real device.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#68 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Then when I decide I want to put in a channel number it sometimes doesn't take it or forgets the 2nd out of the 3 digits I pressed.

This is the number one thing that I absolutely cannot stand with this box. SIMPLE CHANNEL CHANGES. For all that they wanna cram into this box featurewise, they need to take a step BACK and remember that this box still needs to be able to do the BASIC stuff like change channel PROPERLY and RELIABLY.

I have been complaining about this for a LONG time, but it seems they either can't figure out how to fix it or just don't wanna be bothered. Pressing channel numbers on the remote is a pure crap shoot at times as to whether the box will actually either recognize that I even pressed a button, or take it's sweet time in realizing I did and when it finally feels like displaying the digit I pressed, it's too late to press another because the delay between button presses is over and it thinks I'm done entering numbers, or better yet I've repressed the number thinking it missed it so I get two of the same digit entered.

They flat out really need to fix this issue.

#69 OFFLINE   Razorback747

Razorback747

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

yep.

The simple fact is that TiVo always made certain that the basic functions work consistently and perfectly. And they do THAT before they start work on bells and whistles! Having Mediashare/whatever-whiz-bang feature that will be used occasionally means very little when PAUSE,FF, REW, change channels, always-used-basic-functions almost NEVER works properly or quickly!

And I have an HR20, and it's ALWAYS been SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.

As an HR10-250 owner I cant agree more. You can put out a nice glossy advertisement touting MRV and mediashare but I guess it wouldn't look good touting remote buttons that actually do something.
HR21-100 > AM21 > HDMI > Samsung HLT6187S
HR10-250 > HDMI > Sony KDF-E42A10

#70 OFFLINE   buckweet1980

buckweet1980

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

WHAT THE HECK!!!

So I want to know what directv did.. Ever since 034c came out my receivers have been SLOOOWWW and the slowest ever, it would take a few seconds for the guide to come up, seconds to change the channel and the remote never responded trying to direct in the direct channel number. I've rebooted (RBR'ed) many times and it never helped.

Today I come home to use my main receiver and its lightning fast again.. Did directv have debug logging turned on 34c software and forgot to turn it off maybe? All I can say is everything is really fast now.. I did check and it is still 34c software.. I haven't tried my box upstairs yet tho.

WEIRD!

#71 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

Well buckweet1980, you had my hopes up but.... I just checked mine and they are still slow as ever... What model do yo have?

#72 OFFLINE   buckweet1980

buckweet1980

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

HR22-100's I believe.. All I can say is that they did something, haha.. I hope it stays like this..

#73 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

My HR21-200 is getting slower every day. Now it's responding to only half of my keypresses, and delaying up to 3 seconds before acting on the ones it does recognize. I'm planning to reset it by pulling the plug.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#74 OFFLINE   Bill D

Bill D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

I have been having same problem with my HR-21. It has been slow for a few months it seems. Channel changes are fustrating as hell. I have found bringing up the lower channel banner first then change channel till it gets it right then hitting select is a terrible work around. But a lot better then it going to random channels. The skip back and forward buttons are also very slow. Then you have the time it actually takes to go from one channel to the other. I have native turned off and still takes what seems like 4-5 seconds to go between channels. It is great when I use my older SD directivo in the bedroom. It's quick with basic operations

#75 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

My HR21-200 is getting slower every day. Now it's responding to only half of my keypresses, and delaying up to 3 seconds before acting on the ones it does recognize. I'm planning to reset it by pulling the plug.

Do a menu reset or a red button reset, but the last thing you want to do is to pull the plug, unless you do a menu reset and pull the plug when all the lights go out during its reboot cycle.

#76 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

Do a menu reset or a red button reset, but the last thing you want to do is to pull the plug, unless you do a menu reset and pull the plug when all the lights go out during its reboot cycle.

Sorry, I pulled the plug before reading this. I waited until the red recording light was off. There seems to have been no problem -- this time.

What horror stories do you have to share with us about pulling the plug on an HR2x? I've read accounts where pulling the plug fixed a problem that an RBR didn't.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#77 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

My HR23-700 is dog slow too and I've tried everything. Coming from Dish Network it's taking me a while to get used to the speed difference. My VIP-622 was a speed demon compared to this thing.

At least my H23-600 receiver in the bedroom runs like a champ. Menu surfing and button pressing is instantaneous. I'm tempted to put it in the living room and put the HR-23 in the bedroom.

Edited by Todd H, 09 October 2009 - 11:55 AM.

#78 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

My HR23-700 is dog slow too and I've tried everything. Coming from Dish Network it's taking me a while to get used to the speed difference. My VIP-622 was a speed demon compared to this thing.

At least my H23-600 receiver in the bedroom runs like a champ. Menu surfing and button pressing is instantaneous. I'm tempted to put it in the living room and put the HR-23 in the bedroom.

What, and start watching commercials again?? :eek2:

#79 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

What, and start watching commercials again?? :eek2:

Nah just watch more television in bed. ;)

#80 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

Sorry, I pulled the plug before reading this. I waited until the red recording light was off. There seems to have been no problem -- this time.

What horror stories do you have to share with us about pulling the plug on an HR2x? I've read accounts where pulling the plug fixed a problem that an RBR didn't.

By just pulling the plug you essentially kill the hd in midstream, since its always buffering the stream from a channel, think of it this way, copy some data on your pc from 1 drive to another, or say in the middle of a download from the internet, now pull the plug on your pc, you wouldnt want to do that would you? Chance of data corruption is much higher if you dont allow a "graceful" reboot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...