Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

I would think it is possible that if the DVR is having to apply a lot of error correction due to weak signal, it could be less responsive to remote commands because of heavy use of processing power.

I know for a fact when the hard drive was constantly grinding away in my HR20-700, playback was showing freezes and pixilation. It was fixed when I ran a surface scan per Doug's (or Tom's, not sure which) advice, and is now back to working perfectly.

Edited by paulman182, 19 October 2009 - 05:45 AM.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

At times both of my HR20-700 units are pretty responsive. At times they're very slow. Recently pressing guide or playlist takes up to 8 seconds to open or close. Scrolling set to off on both units. Even my wife is asking why it takes soooo long.

#143 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

I would think it is possible that if the DVR is having to apply a lot of error correction due to weak signal, it could be less responsive to remote commands because of heavy use of processing power.

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner!

Some people forget these are very similar to PCs inside.

Thanks.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#144 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

The hardware sucks and no matter what they do with "Firmware" updates, it's still going to suck. I'm just mad there isn't another option. I'd gladly pay for an alternative option with more disk space, perhaps a solid state drive, a faster processor, etc. But alas I don't have this option. It isn't available to me.

Sometimes I feel like ripping the HR21 apart and replacing the crappy processor with an aftermarket one. It's come to that point. I hope someone does this and posts it online so others can finally fix this issue, since DirecTV has let it drag on beyond acceptability.

I wonder sometimes how many people actually have a solid idea as to what is inside these units.

The processor is very powerful, the other components comparible to many PCs out there. While its not a quad processor or something, its Pentium 4 caliber, which is still capable of running all the way up to Vista generation code (although Linux is the OS used).

The firmware directs the use of the components, including the video presentation, network interaction, audio reproduction, and other activities.

Think of it this way -- anyone run Vista prior to SP1 or SP2? If you did....it didn't matter if you had a quad processor...it was mollasses slow. With SP1 and SP2, the performance improved - it took over 18 months to get there.

Its amazing how folks reach for straws trying to first generalize statements, and then try to blame everything but the kitchen sink for things. :rolleyes:

Perhaps those of you with "insights" into the internal operations of the HD DVRs should "enlighten yourselves" by reading the First Look pieces that have been written on the HRx DVRs....they contain detailed information on the inner contents of those units.

Here's the link to the entire list of those...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=117744

Could be a real "eye opener"....;)

#145 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

I'm not sure it really matters why there are so many troubles with the HR boxes. All that really matters is that they fix them. The latest NR was a big step backwards. Hopefully they'll at least get back to where they were with previous NR very soon.

The HR22 is just as slow or slower now as it was the day mine were installed over a year ago. It is just as painful today to use the basic functions as the day mine were installed. I still can't reliably change channels by entering the channel number. I don't care if it is hardware, software or planet alignment - I'd just like DirecTV to fix these basic problems before I die of old age!

#146 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

I'm not sure it really matters why there are so many troubles with the HR boxes. All that really matters is that they fix them. The latest NR was a big step backwards. Hopefully they'll at least get back to where they were with previous NR very soon.

The HR22 is just as slow or slower now as it was the day mine were installed over a year ago. It is just as painful today to use the basic functions as the day mine were installed. I still can't reliably change channels by entering the channel number. I don't care if it is hardware, software or planet alignment - I'd just like DirecTV to fix these basic problems before I die of old age!

BINGO

#147 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

All that really matters is that they fix them. The latest NR was a big step backwards. Hopefully they'll at least get back to where they were with previous NR very soon.

We are likely all in agreement with you on those points. :)

#148 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

I hesitate to point out that a lot of people complained about the previous NR as well.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#149 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

[...] I don't care if it is hardware, software or planet alignment - I'd just like DirecTV to fix these basic problems before I die of old age!

That's the point that seems to elude the habitual apologists. No matter what they "know", the fact is that some % of folks who've been shelling out their hard-earned $$$ each month (some for years) are disappointed by HR2x performance that is below their expectations. Those folks are certainly entitled to vent (hopefully constructively), and telling them that "I don't know what your problem is... my set-up is working fine" is not only unhelpful, but likely to provoke even more negativity, which often causes these threads to spiral into non-constructive discourse.

Even advising unhappy users to "be patient, the software will get better" is ill-advised, IMO. While the poster may be convinced this is the truth, everyone's expectations of "better" are different. It's better to say nothing and let the next release speak for itself than to over-promise and under-deliver, especially when you're not writing the code yourself. Just my .02.
/steve

#150 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

I hesitate to point out that a lot of people complained about the previous NR as well.

Thanks for pointing that out. That fact just makes the 34C NR look all the worse, since some DBSTalkers are saying they'd love to be able to go back to the previous NR, discarding the crippled DoublePlay feature in favor of a little more responsiveness (and fewer bugs).

Edited by Syzygy, 19 October 2009 - 09:42 AM.

Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#151 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

... the habitual apologists.

Great euphemism! :D
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#152 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

Great euphemism! :D

Note that I exclude the mods from that description. Since they have a direct pipeline to engineering, their crystal balls are far less cloudy and their opinions carry a different weight, at least for me.
/steve

#153 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

Perhaps those of you with "insights" into the internal operations of the HD DVRs should "enlighten yourselves" by reading the First Look pieces that have been written on the HRx DVRs....they contain detailed information on the inner contents of those units.

Here's the link to the entire list of those...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=117744

Could be a real "eye opener"....;)

Be sure to direct them to read the First Look at the 23-700. That one's actually so bad, it's funny. Made all those rosy comments and I finally get one and, like so many other people have posted, it stunk and went back to D*. And at least one Moderator has admitted that.

Rich

#154 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

At times both of my HR20-700 units are pretty responsive. At times they're very slow. Recently pressing guide or playlist takes up to 8 seconds to open or close. Scrolling set to off on both units. Even my wife is asking why it takes soooo long.

Yep, my wife is starting to really complain about the sluggishness too. It's going to be hard to convince her that we should stay with DirecTV once our contract runs out.

#155 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

Here's what I'd do if I had a HR2x-xxx for x amount of time that was soooo slowwwwww:
I'd find a different model! Either by Ebay (after checking all ID #s) or an authorized online dealer. You could even play CSR roulette, pretend to jump through their hoops, & tell them you can't even power it on so please send a replacement. It'll be a crap shoot on what you'll get, but it might pay off. IMO, it's silly to be unhappy for "years," as some here have said, with a product so replaceable.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#156 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

I think having these discussions is great. On both sides. The good experience are just as important so that Directv knows what they are doing right. The bad experiences so they know what to fix. Im not Directv so I can only offer by DVR's every week to sacrifice to bring a little joy to the rest. :D. But I think anyone that can honestly say that its been years with a bad dvr (being speed and performance) needs to take another direction rather than just waiting for updates. Maybe calling a CSR for a replacement unit. We also have different ranges of what we call satisfactory performance. Some of us want these STB's to respond at the speed of thought others simply want channel entry to work. The key is here is that firmware is being worked out. Whether or not it makes anyone happy is yet to be determined. Im glad that another NR will be available soon as that is the duty of any company to continuously improve service.

On wonder though, how many if any ever noticed these issues until the started reading and learning what these receivers good do? I for one only started learning and appreciating more service even more after I found these forums.

Also think about this situation this way. How many companies would be willing to give you firmware updates to fix an issue rather than ask you to pay for another piece of hardware? (not defending the issue just stating something positive for what we pay every month)

#157 OFFLINE   Nicholsen

Nicholsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Here's what I'd do if I had a HR2x-xxx for x amount of time that was soooo slowwwwww:
I'd find a different model! Either by Ebay (after checking all ID #s) or an authorized online dealer. You could even play CSR roulette, pretend to jump through their hoops, & tell them you can't even power it on so please send a replacement. It'll be a crap shoot on what you'll get, but it might pay off. IMO, it's silly to be unhappy for "years," as some here have said, with a product so replaceable.

We are awaiting delivery of our TiVo superboxes in 2010. :D (Knock on wood.) In the meantime, I use my HR10-250 for about 75% of series viewing (HD OTA.)

I hope that the HR2x faithful get the option of an HR superbox of their own in 2010 as well. You guys have earned it.

#158 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

On wonder though, how many if any ever noticed these issues until the started reading and learning what these receivers good do? I for one only started learning and appreciating more service even more after I found these forums.

I found this forum rooting around for help with my HR20-700s in early '07. I deliberately looked for just this forum. Perhaps there are other forums that replicate this forum, but it's the first one I found where someone actually knew something that was useful. I had issues that neither D* or I could solve and got my HRs running well by the spring of '08. All I know about these things is because of this forum. I'm not alone, I'm sure.

Also think about this situation this way. How many companies would be willing to give you firmware updates to fix an issue rather than ask you to pay for another piece of hardware? (not defending the issue just stating something positive for what we pay every month)

Sony, Panasonic, HP, Brother, Microsoft, Seagate, need I go on? You'd be better off looking for companies that don't.

Rich

#159 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

... anyone that can honestly say that its been years with a bad dvr (speed and performance) needs to take another direction rather than just waiting for updates. Maybe calling a CSR for a replacement unit.

I'm not expecting much more than a little relief from software updates. And a replacement unit might be even worse. I'm waiting for the MPEG-4 TiVo to arrive in 2010, as are many others.

How many companies would be willing to give you firmware updates to fix an issue rather than ask you to pay for another piece of hardware?

I think all DVRs get updates periodically (except for obsolescent ones like ReplayTV, Ultimate TV, or my HR10-250). BTW, firmware is burned into a chip semi-permanently, while software is loaded onto a disk and from there into ordinary memory.

#160 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

I found this forum rooting around for help with my HR20-700s in early '07. I deliberately looked for just this forum. Perhaps there are other forums that replicate this forum, but it's the first one I found where someone actually knew something that was useful. I had issues that neither D* or I could solve and got my HRs running well by the spring of '08. All I know about these things is because of this forum. I'm not alone, I'm sure.

There are other forums (notably AVScience), but this is the forum for knowledge about and help for DirecTV receivers and DVRs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...