Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD DVR is Slowwwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#161 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,964 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

We are awaiting delivery of our TiVo superboxes in 2010. :D (Knock on wood.) In the meantime, I use my HR10-250 for about 75% of series viewing (HD OTA.)

I hope that the HR2x faithful get the option of an HR superbox of their own in 2010 as well. You guys have earned it.

I'm not expecting much more than a little relief from software updates. And a replacement unit might be even worse. I'm waiting for the MPEG-4 TiVo to arrive in 2010, as are many others.

I hope Tivo calms those who are unhappy. I don't hate or love Tivo, but I feel bad because I know I'll laugh on the inside if Tivo has it's issues.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

I hope Tivo calms those who are unhappy. I don't hate or love Tivo, but I feel bad because I know I'll laugh on the inside if Tivo has it's issues.

And the price?

Rich

#163 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,964 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

And the price?

Rich

Yeah, that too! It'll be funny if it cost $999 + Tivo fees.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#164 OFFLINE   Nicholsen

Nicholsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

I hear you. :lol:

I guess the ultimate irony will be if the TiVo "superbox" is really just an HR3x, which runs both software systems!

Trust me, I am sure the new TiVo will have issues when it is released. I am hoping they "get it right" soon thereafter. On of the great things about my HR10-250 is that the code is frozen! No new features, but no new bugs either. The basic stuff all just works great.

#165 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

There are other forums (notably AVScience), but this is the forum for knowledge about and help for DirecTV receivers and DVRs.

I joined AVS before I joined this forum. I was directed here by someone on the AVS forum.

#166 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

I'm not expecting much more than a little relief from software updates. And a replacement unit might be even worse. I'm waiting for the MPEG-4 TiVo to arrive in 2010, as are many others.

I think all DVRs get updates periodically (except for obsolescent ones like ReplayTV, Ultimate TV, or my HR10-250). BTW, firmware is burned into a chip semi-permanently, while software is loaded onto a disk and from there into ordinary memory.

You are correct. The HR20's firmware is downloaded from satellite in a compressed form then checked for consistency and finally loaded into flash memory. I'm like you, I think of firmware as something put onto EPROM, but I recall being told by my engineer friends that code transferred onto flash memory also qualifies.

Of course that could just be my wetware malfunctioning.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#167 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, that too! It'll be funny if it cost $999 + Tivo fees.

D* might lease them, too. If they are just sold, I'd think between $400 and $500. I'd also expect the monthly fees to be the same for each platform.

Rich

#168 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Let's keep the TiVo discussion in the other thread designed for that, thanks.

#169 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

... One of the great things about my HR10-250 is that the code is frozen! No new features, but no new bugs either. The basic stuff all just works great.

Except for that bug that forgets your position if you've paused within 5 minutes of the end (of either a recording or the live buffer). And the bug that makes FFx1 pause sometimes, after which the screen may go black until you press another trick play button. Maybe DirecTV prevented TiVo from updating the HR10 back when Rupert Murdoch was "the decider." ;)

(Sorry, Stuart. I posted these two tidbits just to let you guys see that I'm an equal-opportunity complainer.)

Edited by Syzygy, 21 October 2009 - 01:13 AM.

Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#170 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the reply to the question. My installer is the one that referred me to this site. As for the topic, I too understand that the complaint is simple. Maybe a DVR that is simple with no options and then the DVR series for the rest of us. Kind of like how they make some of these gaming systems and cell phones.

#171 OFFLINE   mitgrad

mitgrad

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

Just to add a couple more data points:

I have two HR20 boxes and one HR22 box in the house. All three started having severe issues with the latest firmware push. One HR20 got so slow that it needed an RBR. The other HR20 (which I hadn't turned on in about a week) was locked up at a pixellated screen (had to RBR). The HR22 is the real problem. It starts to grind to a standstill after about 3 days of use. I've RBR'd it about 4 times now (5th time will be tonight...after it finishes HOPEFULLY recording tonight's shows...). Two of the DVRs have constantly had the issue where the system misses channel changes on the remote control. They've also had the issue where the HDD is constantly cranking. Hmm...could all three be related?

It's been two long years since I got the first HR up and running in our home. At what point will this series of DVRs stop feeling like something that's still in beta? How can a company as large as Directv keep allowing such poor quality control of their firmware releases? Does Directv even have a Test department? Seriously...does Directv have some measure of internal validation...something beyond "Does it still power up after you flash?"...or does their test team solely consist of *us*? I'm not asking this to be mean or just stir something up...It really does feel like a lot of these releases leave Directv without someone other than the developers having looked at them. It must kill the developers to see their product to go out the door so woefully untested that one given release (like 0x34c) takes them one step forward and ten steps back.

After two years of having the HR series in our house, I feel so beaten down and defeated. All I really want is to watch and record TV. At this point, I don't care about OnDemand, MediaShare, TvMail, or even DLB. All I want it to do is let me record and watch TV. After three (?) years invested in the HR series, why has it been so difficult for Directv to accomplish this?

#172 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

Just to add a couple more data points:

I have two HR20 boxes and one HR22 box in the house. All three started having severe issues with the latest firmware push. One HR20 got so slow that it needed an RBR. The other HR20 (which I hadn't turned on in about a week) was locked up at a pixellated screen (had to RBR). The HR22 is the real problem. It starts to grind to a standstill after about 3 days of use. I've RBR'd it about 4 times now (5th time will be tonight...after it finishes HOPEFULLY recording tonight's shows...). Two of the DVRs have constantly had the issue where the system misses channel changes on the remote control. They've also had the issue where the HDD is constantly cranking. Hmm...could all three be related?

It's been two long years since I got the first HR up and running in our home. At what point will this series of DVRs stop feeling like something that's still in beta? How can a company as large as Directv keep allowing such poor quality control of their firmware releases? Does Directv even have a Test department? Seriously...does Directv have some measure of internal validation...something beyond "Does it still power up after you flash?"...or does their test team solely consist of *us*? I'm not asking this to be mean or just stir something up...It really does feel like a lot of these releases leave Directv without someone other than the developers having looked at them. It must kill the developers to see their product to go out the door so woefully untested that one given release (like 0x34c) takes them one step forward and ten steps back.

After two years of having the HR series in our house, I feel so beaten down and defeated. All I really want is to watch and record TV. At this point, I don't care about OnDemand, MediaShare, TvMail, or even DLB. All I want it to do is let me record and watch TV. After three (?) years invested in the HR series, why has it been so difficult for Directv to accomplish this?

Almost all the firmware goes through testing and retesting but as you can see things can be missed. Its why testing continues so that every NR will be the best possible with minimal hiccups. Unfortunately, this particular NR got everyones attention. Its a strong hope that the next NR will correct if not alleviate some of the issues. If not to fix everything but to do what one poster on here mentioned and that is to bring it back to maybe what was before this latest NR where some have described it as tolerable.

#173 OFFLINE   dre2112

dre2112

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

I had an R15 DVR (non HD). Why is that one so much faster than the the HD DVRs? Can't they just run the same software and add a few extra options for the HD component without it being slow as molasses?

#174 OFFLINE   bearcat250

bearcat250

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:30 AM

Last night I was watching Fox News and I wanted to change the channel to check how the baseball game was going. The HR21 would not allow me to enter 247 to change to TBS. It would only see the 2 and change to channel 2. I gave up after a few minutes and had to go to the guide and go to TBS 247 from there to change the channel to 247. This is just one example of how the HR21's are performing lately and it is unacceptable. I hope this message gets to the D engineers.

#175 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

I wonder sometimes how many people actually have a solid idea as to what is inside these units.

The bulk of the processing in these machines is handled by special purpose processors as opposed to a strong central processor as you suggest. IIRC, the "CPU" part of the chipset in this case is clocked at around 400MHz; the lower end of Pentium 2 class performance.

It is good that you should wonder.

#176 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:41 AM

I'm like you, I think of firmware as something put onto EPROM, but I recall being told by my engineer friends that code transferred onto flash memory also qualifies.

It may help to think of Flash as a special case of EEPROM.

#177 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

... The HR21 would not allow me to enter 247 to change to TBS. It would only see the 2 and change to channel 2. I gave up after a few minutes and had to go to the guide and go to TBS 247 from there to change the channel to 247...

I suppose you tried slowing your fingers down to match the (degraded) capability of the HR21? That usually works for me. In general, I have to press a series of buttons slowly and very deliberately to have any chance of them all being recognized.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#178 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

I suppose you tried slowing your fingers down to match the (degraded) capability of the HR21? That usually works for me. In general, I have to press a series of buttons slowly and very deliberately to have any chance of them all being recognized.

Its not just the HR21. I keep hearing how wonderful the HR20-700s are. I will tell you, although I have no issue with the speed of moving through the menu and guide, the HR20-700 has the same keybounce issues I've seen reported with others.

For example, type in 206 and it first tries to change to channel 2, then the 06 finally registers and it tries to change to channel 06. This is especially bad when turning on DLB or when the DVR first "wakes up" in the morning.

It is not a matter of weak batteries or some of the other excuses I've seen. All three numbers do finally get registered, but as channel 2 and then channel 06, not 206 as it should be.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#179 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

One suggestion that's worked for me is pressing {INFO} before changing channels. This seems to improve performance when pushing channel numbers. I don't know why.

#180 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

One suggestion that's worked for me is pressing {INFO} before changing channels. This seems to improve performance when pushing channel numbers. I don't know why.

Excellent tip. Just tried it on 631 and I actually went to YES on the first shot, instead of NY63, our local Korean channel! :)
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...