Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loud hard drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daveshouse

daveshouse

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

I've noticed since the last update that the hard drive in my HR21-700 seems very loud. It sounds like an old PC hard drive churning away when trying to perform a task. I don't know how else to explain this in any better terms, so this is the best I can do. I have only noticed this in the past few weeks, and have not made any changes to my setup or system, other than to get the new software. Anyone else experiencing this or know what I'm talking about? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave

DirecTV HR21-700 to Panasonic TH-50PX60U
DirecTV HR22-100 to JVC LT-37E488
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR605
PS3 60gb (wildcatfandave)
Blu-Ray: LG BD-390
DVD: Oppo DV-981HD

Go Big Blue!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   qprhooligan

qprhooligan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

many people are having the same thing with their DVR's. it seems to be a new feature of the current software.

#3 OFFLINE   gunnarliden

gunnarliden

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

i have noticed this too. I thought i was just hearing things, but maybe not. it isn't that annoying, but is something wrong?

#4 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,046 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

We need to ask DTV to provide access to Top10 program for using by us, customers.

#5 OFFLINE   djr5899

djr5899

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

I have noticed the same thing on my HR20-700. The hard drive sounds like it is doing a defrag multiple times a day. This only started happening after the latest software update. The amount of noise is very annoying, but I am actually seeing it affect what I am watching.

If the DVR is really cranking away at the hard drive, I have seen the audio drop out as well as the video get extremely choppy at the same time. As soon as the HD stops churning, all goes back to normal.

I have been debating about calling D* and asking for a new DVR.
==================================
LR: HR20-700, Samsung LNT4053H
BR: R-15-300

#6 OFFLINE   dvisthe

dvisthe

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have noticed the same thing on my HR20-700. The hard drive sounds like it is doing a defrag multiple times a day. This only started happening after the latest software update. The amount of noise is very annoying, but I am actually seeing it affect what I am watching.

If the DVR is really cranking away at the hard drive, I have seen the audio drop out as well as the video get extremely choppy at the same time. As soon as the HD stops churning, all goes back to normal.

Same here, I thought my DVR is about to bite the dust:nono2:

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

We need to ask DTV to provide access to Top10 program for using by us, customers.

What? :confused::confused::confused:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

I've noticed this on my HR20-700 as well. I thought my HDD was munching hard candy.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   nikwax

nikwax

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

I've seen exactly the same behavior on my HR20-700, including the video stutter. Really annoying. And the noise of the head thrashing makes my living room sound a bit like a data center. I'm contacting DTV now via email, I'll post the response.

#10 OFFLINE   realfan

realfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

Add me to this list. Very loud and it has actually woken me up at night (yes - I am a light sleeper).

I, too, thought that this may be a hard drive on its last legs, so to speak.

#11 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,046 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

What? :confused::confused::confused:

I mean top 10 tasks by using this.
[hope you know the DVRs running Linux].

#12 OFFLINE   nikwax

nikwax

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

iostat would be useful too ;)

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

I know it runs a flavor of Linux.

Having access to that will help at best 0.01% of the customer base. It would be a total waste of time and resources.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,046 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

Very helpful approach for those "0.01% of the customer base" who're posting here in hope for get help.:rolleyes:
Nothing to waste BTW, Linux already have those commands (top, iostat, etc ) - the point is to get access to it when it need.
[You'll be better with posting having positive attitude - negativity didn't productive]

#15 OFFLINE   Quattro

Quattro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:10 PM

Add me to the list, as well. I was thinking my DVR was dying.

#16 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:17 AM

Very helpful approach for those "0.01% of the customer base" who're posting here in hope for get help.:rolleyes:
Nothing to waste BTW, Linux already have those commands (top, iostat, etc ) - the point is to get access to it when it need.
[You'll be better with posting having positive attitude - negativity didn't productive]

how is knowing what process is doing what going to help a user since they have no control over it? Are you advocating giving users ability to alter running processes? yeah that would help them....
and for better posting clear and structured language helps the most.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#17 OFFLINE   firtft

firtft

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:38 AM

Mine was also noisy, I erased what I could that dropped it from 25% available space to 47% available. No more noise.

We will see what happens when it begins to fill up again?

#18 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

I was having this problem aslo, but then I read on another post that putting the DVR in standby makes it run maintenance or something like that. So before I left for work one day, I put it in standby and when I came home, it wasnt making that noise anymore. Something tells me that "maintenence" is a defrag or something similar. You might want to do that also.

#19 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:24 AM

I've noticed this also in our bedroom HR21. It does seem to have started with the latest software update. It's VERY noticeable (annoying) when you are trying to go to sleep and you hear something like the hard drive doing a defrag. Like it was mentioned, I cleaned out some old recordings and got to about 60-70% free disk space. It seemed to stop making the noise continuously, but it still does it often now.

I haven't noticed our HR20 in the living room doing this. It may be because we sit further from the TV/receiver and just haven't noticed.
H20, HR20, HR21

#20 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

We put our HR20 in standby for probably 14 hours per day, and keep it at about 50% free, but it is still much noisier than before the update.

Not that it matters, the room is noisy anyway.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...