Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loud hard drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dvisthe

dvisthe

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

this seems to be DTV's stance:

"The latest software release includes more robust and thorough disk diagnostic and repair capability, so that might be causing more hard drive "noise"....The fact that you're also seeing video stuttering suggests that your drive is sick. You should replace your DVR."

My DVR is louder and I am getting audio drop outs and video studder since the last software update so

should I call Directv replace my DVR or should I wait until the next software update to see if it fixes the problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tssumners

tssumners

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

My DVR is louder and I am getting audio drop outs and video studder since the last software update so

should I call Directv replace my DVR or should I wait until the next software update to see if it fixes the problem?

They are replacing my HR20-700 cause the tech. support guy said it sounded like the hard drive was about to crash.
Watched a program that recorded last night and the ending was unviewable.

#43 OFFLINE   bpaulson

bpaulson

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

I've been working with computers and hard drives for over 14 years (I'm 23) and what I can tell you is that most hard drives that are treated correctly do not just randomly "go bad"

If a hard drive in an iPod that's owned by a child can come out without any bad sectors after two years I'm guessing your HR2X that's been sitting nicely on a counter without being moved just up and developed bad sectors out of no where.

Between satellite interference by the sun which is happening at this time and the software update which causes the hard drive to be more active I highly doubt everyone who's posted in this thread has a bad DVR...

If you want a DVR with a high probability of going bad just get a cable companie's DVR...

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Would be interesting to know what default value of AAM setting in DTV DVR disks.
If it by default set to 128, then I would try to lower it to 0 and see if noise will be decreased. The command could be send from DTV Linux also.

#45 OFFLINE   uteotw

uteotw

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

Mine's been super loud too (HR20-700), grinding away at random times. I've done a reset and I'm at 80% free space. Called DTV and spoke w/a gal who wanted to take me through a whole bunch of cumbersome troubleshooting steps (which I didn't have time for). She said they have to do that before they can send out a technician, but whatever. She said they like to be able to hear the noise over the phone (??), but I explained it's pretty random and I can't make it do it on command.

If they're going to put out a fix, that'd be nice. If it's going to die, I'd rather avoid that. If neither of those I guess it's either live with it or keep trying Tech.

#46 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

If they're going to put out a fix, that'd be nice. If it's going to die, I'd rather avoid that. If neither of those I guess it's either live with it or keep trying Tech.

I'd say that 99% of these situations are not related to a failing HDD. Simply more activity that you may have seen (heard) in the past.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

I have a question on this. Would this only be with HD's included in the unit or could this be happening with an external drive as well? I ask because lately I've noticed the very same thing with my external drive, that runs off the HR 20-700. I am in panic mode about losing 500 GB worth of stuff. :eek2:

I mean if it goes, what can you do, but I hope maybe this could be a similar symptom with the new software.
"Hope your apple pie was freakin' worth it!"

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),
Vizio LCD L32(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router)

#48 OFFLINE   Bronco70

Bronco70

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

My HR-21 is louder since the last update. Not a problem since my normal seating position is 20' away from the unit. It sounds like normal HDD noise.

My HR-23 in another room is still basically silent.

To put it in perspective, my old HR 10-250 was always louder. I could hear it from 20' (with no audio output or during very quiet scenes).

My original 80G PS3, an order of magnitude louder. The issue there is, of course, fan noise.

So no worries.

Joe

#49 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:03 AM

I'd say that 99% of these situations are not related to a failing HDD. Simply more activity that you may have seen (heard) in the past.

Wow, what a difference a month makes... I posted on this topic over a month ago http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=164065
The general consensus at that time was a failing hard drive that I should replace ASAP. I still have not done that but still suffer the constant dropouts, stuttering and brripp's from the audio and the video. I also use the OTA input which all of the other units no longer are equipt with and adding a AM21 for no additional cost seems to be hit and miss with D*. I don't want to lose that feature b/c that is where I get my pristine recordings from. It seems there is always some sort of translation problem with D* LIL retransmissions and I can't deal with imperfect recordings of things I'm interestd in watching. Just wish D* could figure out a way to do what they have to do with these units and not have it effect the Picture or audio of the units.

#50 OFFLINE   Volunteer

Volunteer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

The additional noise should not be of any long term concern. I do expect there will be some improvement to this situation in a future version.

So what's changed to cause the disk thrashing?

Count all my 3 HR20's as constant thrashers as well ... the wife is almost to the breaking point of the one in the bedroom ... wanting the plug yanked so she can sleep ... something needs to be done about this.

Samsung 55" LCD
Samsung 50" DLP

Vizio 37" LCD
2-HR20-700/ w/ 2TB eSata
1-HR44-500 w/ 2TB eSata
SWM16
5-LNB Dish

#51 OFFLINE   ExtremerNC

ExtremerNC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:47 AM

My HR20-700 is doing the same thing. It is getting very annoying. There has been a definite change in the sound of the grinding. My audo drops out and i have to rewind back a little bit to get the audio to start back up. My video is also dropping out/pixelating. If a replacement is going to do the same thing then someone needs to fix the software.

#52 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

Folks, it seems to me that there is simply a bit more activity on the disk than there used to be .. This is probably more for corrective/preventative action than anything else. This most likely just increases the chatter which makes it more noticeable than it used to be. It is doubtful that the drive is louder, but the noises are occurring more often than they used to. I noticed this as well.

I'm sure DIRECTV is aware of this and will do what they can.

That's what I'm experiencing, a lot more activity, not louder just a lot more. It's occasionally non stop. It's not happening on my HR 21 just the HR 20 700.

#53 OFFLINE   bpaulson

bpaulson

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

The hard drives on these things are a lot more quiet than any of the old TiVo dvr's... (stupid ball bearings that used to go out on Western Digital ATA drives and made a loud whine but worked perfectly fine.)

Just because the disk is constantly doing something does not mean it's going bad. These DVR's are doing a lot of crap all at once (or at least mine are between recording a ton of recording plus mrv and there's no issues.)

If a hard drive was going bad you'd hear a repetitive clicking noise or a metal on metal kind of noise.

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

So what's changed to cause the disk thrashing?

Count all my 3 HR20's as constant thrashers as well ... the wife is almost to the breaking point of the one in the bedroom ... wanting the plug yanked so she can sleep ... something needs to be done about this.

I think there are simply doing better error checking on the drives .. So that reliability and stability improve.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

My HR20-700 is doing the same thing. It is getting very annoying. There has been a definite change in the sound of the grinding. My audo drops out and i have to rewind back a little bit to get the audio to start back up. My video is also dropping out/pixelating. If a replacement is going to do the same thing then someone needs to fix the software.

I noticed this as well when it first started, but honestly, I don't know if it's lessened or if I've just become immune to it, but I really don't notice the noises much on my receivers now.

#56 OFFLINE   ExtremerNC

ExtremerNC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

My reliability and stability was fine. Now i have a grinding that's causing me to pull my hair out. I'd rather have it the way it was!

#57 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

WOW I thought my hard drive was about to die, but it seems everyone here is having the "loud" hard drive problem. It was very slow the last few days as well, but a reboot fixed that, its back up to normal speed, but man that noise its making has got me nervous!

#58 OFFLINE   TimoHT

TimoHT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

I think there are simply doing better error checking on the drives .. So that reliability and stability improve.

With all due respect... proper drive error checking is NOT the sort of continuous, noticeable disk activity that so many (all?) are experiencing (listen to the disk drive on your PC. its not continually thrashing...). I would not be surprised if [whatever] function is causing the xtra disk activity is also a factor in the audio & video stutters that are being widely reported. It may also be a factor in the lost disk space issues being reported. Perhaps all the checking (or whatever is happening), combined with normal recording and playback functionality is overloading some aspect of at least some of the DVRs.

The evidence from the many, probably related reports offer a compelling case that something is improperly implemented in the latest s/w release. I find it disapointing that some/many of our "experts" seem to be discounting all these reports. It feels like the old "drinking the Corporate kool aid" scenario (although I realize the Experts on this forum are not actually DirecTV employees).

Edited by TimoHT, 09 October 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   dvisthe

dvisthe

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

It's not just the noise, it's the audio drop outs and video stutter that goes along with it.

#60 OFFLINE   markp

markp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Wow this is really annoying...thought it was just me.

spam firewall