Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loud hard drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   ExtremerNC

ExtremerNC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:47 AM

My HR20-700 is doing the same thing. It is getting very annoying. There has been a definite change in the sound of the grinding. My audo drops out and i have to rewind back a little bit to get the audio to start back up. My video is also dropping out/pixelating. If a replacement is going to do the same thing then someone needs to fix the software.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

Folks, it seems to me that there is simply a bit more activity on the disk than there used to be .. This is probably more for corrective/preventative action than anything else. This most likely just increases the chatter which makes it more noticeable than it used to be. It is doubtful that the drive is louder, but the noises are occurring more often than they used to. I noticed this as well.

I'm sure DIRECTV is aware of this and will do what they can.

That's what I'm experiencing, a lot more activity, not louder just a lot more. It's occasionally non stop. It's not happening on my HR 21 just the HR 20 700.

#53 OFFLINE   bpaulson

bpaulson

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

The hard drives on these things are a lot more quiet than any of the old TiVo dvr's... (stupid ball bearings that used to go out on Western Digital ATA drives and made a loud whine but worked perfectly fine.)

Just because the disk is constantly doing something does not mean it's going bad. These DVR's are doing a lot of crap all at once (or at least mine are between recording a ton of recording plus mrv and there's no issues.)

If a hard drive was going bad you'd hear a repetitive clicking noise or a metal on metal kind of noise.

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

So what's changed to cause the disk thrashing?

Count all my 3 HR20's as constant thrashers as well ... the wife is almost to the breaking point of the one in the bedroom ... wanting the plug yanked so she can sleep ... something needs to be done about this.

I think there are simply doing better error checking on the drives .. So that reliability and stability improve.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

My HR20-700 is doing the same thing. It is getting very annoying. There has been a definite change in the sound of the grinding. My audo drops out and i have to rewind back a little bit to get the audio to start back up. My video is also dropping out/pixelating. If a replacement is going to do the same thing then someone needs to fix the software.

I noticed this as well when it first started, but honestly, I don't know if it's lessened or if I've just become immune to it, but I really don't notice the noises much on my receivers now.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   ExtremerNC

ExtremerNC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

My reliability and stability was fine. Now i have a grinding that's causing me to pull my hair out. I'd rather have it the way it was!

#57 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

WOW I thought my hard drive was about to die, but it seems everyone here is having the "loud" hard drive problem. It was very slow the last few days as well, but a reboot fixed that, its back up to normal speed, but man that noise its making has got me nervous!

#58 OFFLINE   TimoHT

TimoHT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

I think there are simply doing better error checking on the drives .. So that reliability and stability improve.

With all due respect... proper drive error checking is NOT the sort of continuous, noticeable disk activity that so many (all?) are experiencing (listen to the disk drive on your PC. its not continually thrashing...). I would not be surprised if [whatever] function is causing the xtra disk activity is also a factor in the audio & video stutters that are being widely reported. It may also be a factor in the lost disk space issues being reported. Perhaps all the checking (or whatever is happening), combined with normal recording and playback functionality is overloading some aspect of at least some of the DVRs.

The evidence from the many, probably related reports offer a compelling case that something is improperly implemented in the latest s/w release. I find it disapointing that some/many of our "experts" seem to be discounting all these reports. It feels like the old "drinking the Corporate kool aid" scenario (although I realize the Experts on this forum are not actually DirecTV employees).

Edited by TimoHT, 09 October 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   dvisthe

dvisthe

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

It's not just the noise, it's the audio drop outs and video stutter that goes along with it.

#60 OFFLINE   markp

markp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Wow this is really annoying...thought it was just me.

#61 OFFLINE   captainjrl

captainjrl

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

I have a question on this. Would this only be with HD's included in the unit or could this be happening with an external drive as well? I ask because lately I've noticed the very same thing with my external drive, that runs off the HR 20-700. I am in panic mode about losing 500 GB worth of stuff. :eek2:

I mean if it goes, what can you do, but I hope maybe this could be a similar symptom with the new software.

My loud one is my external on an HR20-700

#62 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

I'm having the issue as well. Kind of annoying.

#63 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

... something needs to be done about this.

Time for D* to move over to solid state :) lol.

FWIW, I've reported elsewhere, my hard drive is thrashing too. Very annoying, glad I found this thread.

I'm not certain yet, but can we pinpoint whether or not this only occurs when DoublePlay is in use?
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#64 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

Time for D* to move over to solid state :) lol.

FWIW, I've reported elsewhere, my hard drive is thrashing too. Very annoying, glad I found this thread.

I'm not certain yet, but can we pinpoint whether or not this only occurs when DoublePlay is in use?

I've yet to use Double Play at all and I get the issue, so it's not solely related to DP.
"Hope your apple pie was freakin' worth it!"

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),
Vizio LCD L32(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router)

#65 OFFLINE   captainjrl

captainjrl

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

I've yet to use Double Play at all and I get the issue, so it's not solely related to DP.

+1 here

#66 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

I noticed this as well when it first started, but honestly, I don't know if it's lessened or if I've just become immune to it, but I really don't notice the noises much on my receivers now.

My HR20-700 started blanking out, first with recordings, then with real time. Also grinding away like a bad bearing. D* replaced it with a new HR22-100. It got the new update right away, and is still much quieter and works way better than the older receiver. Runs way cooler too.

#67 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

FWIW if you want quiet use Laptop drives. Thye'll run cooler, use less power and be quieter.

Get a External case with eSATA and get some 2.5" to 3.5" brackets to mount the drive. Noise problem solved.

I'm do not know if the internal drive can be changed? If so that would make the HRxx run cooler too as less power used and less drive heat generated.

My 2 cents worth. I have done it to other DVRs in the past and the noise level went from annoying to Ahhh.... in the bedroom.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#68 OFFLINE   MoInSTL

MoInSTL

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

Had the same issue on my HR20-700 being very loud along with some audio/video brips and pixelization. Decided to get a replacement before the fall season started. I have the slower HR22 but it's very quiet and only a rare audio glitch here & there that I suspect is in the feed. Brips and pixelization went away as well.

#69 OFFLINE   daveshouse

daveshouse

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

Well, after starting this thread, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I still notice quite a lot of hard drive churning and some audio drop outs.
Dave

DirecTV HR21-700 to Panasonic TH-50PX60U
DirecTV HR22-100 to JVC LT-37E488
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR605
PS3 60gb (wildcatfandave)
Blu-Ray: LG BD-390
DVD: Oppo DV-981HD

Go Big Blue!

#70 OFFLINE   gopherhockey

gopherhockey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

I've been with DirecTV for a long time... but this loud hard drive is a major FAIL on their part.

After being woken up yet again last night due to this issue I'm looking for suggestions from people who have solved this issue. My first thought was to call and demand some kind of replacement/upgrade but I wanted to see if anyone has tried that.

Note: I shouldn't have to shell out for new hardware to fix this.

Anyone who thinks this issue is minor, doesn't exist, or is just a hard drive failing = double fail.

DirecTV... just fix it already!
DirecTV since 1994

#71 OFFLINE   nikwax

nikwax

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

this is DTV's assertion as well, and I think it's nonsense. Constant error checking? Is the focus of the system to perform diagnostics with a little DVR thrown in, or the other way round?

If DTV is really concerned about data integrity, they could run ZFS and RAID, the data is verified when written and maybe run a scrub every two weeks. :-)

#72 OFFLINE   MattDing

MattDing

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

this is DTV's assertion as well, and I think it's nonsense. Constant error checking? Is the focus of the system to perform diagnostics with a little DVR thrown in, or the other way round?

:lol: Exactly!

I'm not sure what the hell process the hard drive is doing in there, but whatever it is my system seems to feel it takes precedence over smoothly playing back content or responding to remote commands.

But, hey, if it's all to improve reliability and stability I'm all for it. I'm sure those improvements are coming "soon." :rolleyes:

#73 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

My HR20-700 started blanking out, first with recordings, then with real time. Also grinding away like a bad bearing. D* replaced it with a new HR22-100. It got the new update right away, and is still much quieter and works way better than the older receiver. Runs way cooler too.

I've seen this as well .. It's definitely not related to the HDD as I had this happen a couple of times over this past weekend while I had two different TV sets on two different set top boxes connected to two different satellite dishes exhibit the exact same behavior at the exact same time. This appears (to me) to be related to the MPEG4 video from somewhere upstream in the process.

#74 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Anyone who thinks this issue is minor, doesn't exist, or is just a hard drive failing = double fail.

Not all hard drives exhibit the exact same noise characteristics .. Additionally, what's loud to you may not be loud to someone else as people don't exhibit the same characteristics either.

As for a solution, I do not have a good one other than to find a way to add something that may muffle the sound. I think the situation will improve on it's own in a few weeks, but I'm not completely sure. I may have simply become immune to the noise.

#75 OFFLINE   billikens20

billikens20

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

My HR20-700 was loud as well. Last Wednesday, the hard drive crapped out and was in Hard Drive scanning mode for the next 72 hours.
Before the last update, never had a problem with the box.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...