Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loud hard drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#176 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 820 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

maybe it just catches my sleep cycles at the wrong time, but the HD noise on my HR21-700 seems to really kick in around 5AM. I also hear it at other times, but the 5AM activity has woken me up more times than I can count. It's almost like the noise I hear when the box reboots. However, in this case, there are no spinning blue lights, so I know it hasn't rebooted on its own.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#177 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,932 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

There is more being done on the system than there used to be .. This means more disk activity .. that's pretty much the bottom line. Generally speaking, this is a good thing.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#178 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

There is more being done on the system than there used to be .. This means more disk activity .. that's pretty much the bottom line. Generally speaking, this is a good thing.

It's not a good thing when it interferes with my viewing experience,i.e.soft dialogue of program.

#179 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:29 AM

And it's certainly not a good thing when it causes the video to freeze.

So, Doug, you admit there is more disk activity, but that it's not related to software??? In what universe can that be true? A disk doesn't do anything unless the software tells it to. Doesn't this mean D* needs to do a better job managing background tasks so they don't interfere with playback?

#180 OFFLINE   nikwax

nikwax

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

as one of my colleagues quipped, some engineer's idea of a computer is that it's a platform to run diagnostics on. ;-)

Massively disrupting the viewer's experience in the name of increased diagnostics or system activity is bass-ackwards.

#181 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

I hope it is disk defrag to speed things up :D
If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/3LNB to SWM16 to 2 8 way splitters.
HR42-700 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked w/DECA to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#182 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,932 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

I've opened a poll .. Let's continue discussion in the following thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=168109
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...