Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dancing with the Stars: Season 9 Week 3 OAD 10/5/09

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should leave Dancing with the Stars? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should leave Dancing with the Stars?

1. Aaron Carter and Karina Smirnoff (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Natalie Coughlin and Alec Mazo (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Mark Dacascos and Lacey Schwimmer (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Representative Tom DeLay and Cheryl Burke (4 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

5. Melissa Joan Hart and Mark Ballas (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Michael Irvin and Anna Demidova (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Chuck Liddell and Anna Trebunskaya (1 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

9. Debi Mazar and Maksim Chmerkovskiy (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Mýa and Dmitry Chaplin (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Louie Vito and Chelsie Hightower (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

Friends, this is going to be a long season. The fake drama is already beginning to build. Does anyone really think that the decision to let Rep. DeLay dance was made during the commercial break just before he went on? Really? Oh, his doctors told him not to. The producers told him not to. I say, horse hockey. If the doctors and producers told him not to, he would have been off the show.

Right off the bat, my vote to leave tonight goes to Representative DeLay for complicity in this little charade. But, on to the review.

This was Latin night, and I feel like it came too early. To be honest, none of the sambas were very good. It's a difficult dance and requires a level of performance that no one is really ready for. Unfortunately, instead of samba, we seem to have gotten a mix of disco, swing and a little foxtrot.

So far, the season's only genuine performer, Mýa, pulled off a smooth rumba that was still utterly undeserving of two tens from the judges. She clearly has great potential and the judges simply want to ensure she's not voted off. I'll agree, she has potential. Her score: 10/7/10.

Rising from the pack this week was Ms. Coughlin whose respectable rumba caught the judges' attention and earned her an almost-deserved 9/8/9. For my money, Ms. Coughlin is adorable but not terribly romantic. I hope she works on her maturity.

For the first time, Ms. Krupa showed some improvement. The rumba is clearly her dance. She knows instinctively how to move within it, and while Mr. Hough worked too hard to keep the spotlight on himself, the result was a respectable 7/8/8.

Also noticeable: Mr. Vito who seems to be a genuinely nice fellow especially when he gets his hair out of his face. As for the relationship between him and Ms. Hightower, I leave it to you to decide if it's a budding romance or just a "showmance." In the meantime, he stuck to fairly simple choreography and performed well, for a mid-pack 8/5/7. Keep combing your hair, Mr. Vito, keep trying to improve, and you may go far.

In the "oh, how the mighty have fallen" department, a quick look at last week's hopefuls show their stars may already be dimming. Mr. Dacascos, Mr. Osmond, and Mr. Carter all failed to impress this week, and their strictly mid-pack scores showed it. I forecast that Mr. Dacascos will take the challenge to heart and rise back up, but I don't know that the other two will be able to make up for lost time.

As in previous weeks, there were other competitors on the dance floor, and I applaud their effort, discipline, and spirit.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:37 AM

What the heck was up with Len last night? He seemed especially contrary in his judging. Maybe he was trying to make up for the utter sameness when he was out last week?

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,130 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

Good review Stuart. Unfortunately, we're "not enjoying" the show again this year. So, having too much to watch anyway, I'm dumping the three hours from my timers. I guess it's back to "America's Ballroom Challenge" on PBS in February.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

I'll admit it's harder for me to enjoy as well, without someone to root for, and with such a large pack of folks I really am not invested in.

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

Still too many contestants. It'll get better once they clear the field a bit. At least that's what I'm hoping.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

I have to say, in the end I was glad to see two contestants leave. The sooner that we get down to a manageable ten contestants, the better.

#7 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

I don't know if ten will be enough Stuart, we can barely stomach the two good ones (Mya and Aaron) and the three so so ones (Donnie, Natalie, and Joanna)
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#8 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

I'm on vacation and haven't watched the show yet, but I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I will probably be at least a week behind, but I'll try to get a word in before too long. :D

#9 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

I'm on vacation and haven't watched the show yet, but I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I will probably be at least a week behind, but I'll try to get a word in before too long. :D

Been wondering where you were. How's vacation? Some place warm, I trust?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#10 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

I'm visiting retired relatives in AR, and it's not as warm as it usually is for October--but I'll be returning to Wisconsin snow, so I'm not complaining. Getting in a little golf to end the golf season and actually playing pretty well (for me). :D We're leaving here tomorrow, so I'll be home before too long.

#11 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Charise, perhaps you would be better off not trying to catch up and just starting live when you get home. This season has been too long already and if you start with 11-12 dancers left it might seem "just right."

spam firewall