Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Good Wife

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Watched two episodes of The Good Wife last night. Wow! Good show. Good cast, good scripts, really enjoyed it. Can't think of one bad thing to say about it. Glad to see Julianna Margulies finally got her eyebrows under control. :lol:

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,186 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

Excellent drama! A Leno killer.

I have it down for the season --kudos CBS!

BTW, JM is hot, eyebrows or not!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:40 AM

First time I saw her (or noticed her) was in a Homicide episode. And the first thing I noticed about her were the caterpillar eyebrows. I'm surprised it took so long to get them thinned out.

I think, for the most part, the eyes are the first thing people notice about people and the eyebrows are pretty close to the eyes.

But you're right, she is and has been a hottie.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

CBS has ordered a full-season of this show because of high ratings according to this story today.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,186 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

"CBS scheduled 'The Good Wife', a show with built-in female appeal, following "NCIS" and the new spinoff, "NCIS: Los Angeles." Very smart. Male viewers who stick around for this new drama might find themselves hooked."

She had me at "Hello". :sure:

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

You guys have piqued my interest. Will give it a look see.......... :)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

You guys have piqued my interest. Will give it a look see.......... :)

Do that. It's a really good show.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hate to be negative, but after having watched three episodes so far, I think the show is just "OK". She's always good, but I don't find either the plots or the other characters very interesting. I actually think Shark was better-written, and that show didn't last.

I find it especially frustrating that Canterbury's Law starring the same Juliana Margulies was manhandled the way it was by Fox last year. They couldn't seem to find the right time slot for it and killed after 8 episodes, IIRC. I thought that show's cast and writers were top-notch. I'd take it over Good Wife any day of the week. Just my .02.
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

I find it especially frustrating that Canterbury's Law starring the same Juliana Margulies was manhandled the way it was by Fox last year. They couldn't seem to find the right time slot for it and killed after 8 episodes, IIRC. I thought that show's cast and writers were top-notch. I'd take it over Good Wife any day of the week. Just my .02.

we agree with you on that. But we like this show OK. Apparently so do others, as its retaining 87% of the "NCIS:LA" viewers the past two weeks whereas "The Forgotten" can only retain 60% of "Dancing with the Stars" and "Leno" only retained 54% of "Biggest Loser." Since there is only 57% of the audience left at 10 pm CBS should be very happy with "The Good Wife" which also leads in the demo.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

This has quickly become one of our family favorites. Interesting cast and good story lines.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#11 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,697 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Does anyone else think the writing for this show has gone downhill since the split occurred? What IMHO was once a pretty good hour of drama has become a show featuring silly acts of revenge by both sides.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Ah, the ten pm Leno. Almost forgotten about that placement. 

Only NBC can kill Leno! 

As to writing, I stopped watching eons ago, so cannot comment. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Does anyone else think the writing for this show has gone downhill since the split occurred? What IMHO was once a pretty good hour of drama has become a show featuring silly acts of revenge by both sides.

My wife, who has consistently insisted on watching this show first when it appears in the list of recordings, is now quite unhappy with the direction the show has taken. Hopefully there will be some redeeming future episode that will turn a corner.

My AV Setup

#14 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,186 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

GW has gone from lofty ideals to petty, but mean-spirited discord. I'll still watch if only 'cuz Archie Panjabi is so effing hot!

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

That is surprising (that folks see a downward trend). The critics and reviewers say the opposite; that it has reached heights this season never seen before dramatically. It is also the darling of the casting community. They have so many great guest stars because everyone wants to be on the show or associated with the show, not something normally found on a show with so-so ratings. I guess when you break pattern and go a different direction it will impress some, and make others unhappy.

Also a bit surprising is the level of quality from a writing team that is sort of a rookie team in that I don't think they fronted a major show before. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop--the inevitable CBS pilot from them that dilutes the quality of this show by stretching their talents too far (Ahem! Chris Carter Ahem!). But happily, that has not yet happened. About the worst you could say is that they have no clue when trying to write for the younger actors on the show (Alicia's kids) and the world they live in.

I really can't comment on this season because I am about 11 eps behind. But I am willing to aver that not only do I consider this the best drama on television by far, I consider it the best drama on television, ever.

JM is sort of up there in the top shelf category herself, I really can't even think of a more-attractive woman than her. Her face is unusual (and the rest is pretty perfect) but that seems to work in her favor; she's not cookie-cutter hot, she is unique enough looking to expand the boundaries of what is hot and actually redefine what is hot, and the best ones always are capable of that. Possibly the best legs I've ever seen, also. She also had the ability to turn down a 6-mil deal for returning to ER, and still come out on top. Canterbury Law fizzled, but due to weak writing and weak character development, two things few of us miss when gone. I still was there for every ep. Why? JM, of course.

Edited by TomCat, 21 November 2013 - 08:09 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

GW has gone from lofty ideals to petty, but mean-spirited discord. I'll still watch if only 'cuz Archie Panjabi is so effing hot!

Yeah, I do like exotic women.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think this story line is ridiculous as well.  It is a back and forth, top each other's back stabbing that makes them all look amazingly immature.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I think this story line is ridiculous as well.  It is a back and forth, top each other's back stabbing that makes them all look amazingly immature.

The more money you make, the higher you go, you see stuff like this in real life.  Only in real life it's timeline is longer.  They pack a lot of stuff into an hour.  Nature of the beast.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Gee, I can't imagine in real life any attorneys being so unscrupulous.... :sure:

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,797 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

Is TGW one of those "watch from the very beginning" shows? I've really considered starting from the beginning and seeing what the hype is.

• makaiguy likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall