Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NCIS:LA, A Bit Unreal?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

Just watched a couple NCIS:LA episodes and was a bit disappointed. What's with the cloak and dagger stuff? The hidden offices and things like that? And what is Linda Hunt doing in the show? Certainly seems to be a great divergence from the original NCIS. Doesn't even seem like a spinoff.

Made it to the Pacific on my destroyer, but never got to CA. Is there really a large naval presence in Los Angeles? I would have thought they would have used San Diego, which has an immense naval presence.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Just watched a couple NCIS:LA episodes and was a bit disappointed. What's with the cloak and dagger stuff? The hidden offices and things like that? And what is Linda Hunt doing in the show? Certainly seems to be a great divergence from the original NCIS. Doesn't even seem like a spinoff.

Made it to the Pacific on my destroyer, but never got to CA. Is there really a large naval presence in Los Angeles? I would have thought they would have used San Diego, which has an immense naval presence.

Rich

Yeah, some of us commented on that location issue in another thread. Apparently this NCIS operation must be to the Office of Naval Intelligence as FBI intelligence operations are to the CIA, or something. And the Linda Hunt thing is a bit over the top. Hopefully, they'll clean this up with some back story information. In terms of ratings, they have time as the original "NCIS" gives them an overwhelming lead in for viewers who want the show to work

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

There was a Naval presence in Long Beach years ago. As phrelin says this was talked about earlier. But since the writers don't know that you drive DOWN to Pendelton from L.A. you can't expect them to know anything about Naval presence, now can you? :P

As for the secret location of the hacienda, it's so secret it ain't there. Just playing around a few days ago after noticing where they zoom in to in the opening and I opened Google Earth. It's just a very short distance from Marina del Rey. I found the square building with the opening in it but the location of the hacienda is actually a truck farm or storage yard that the hacienda has been Photoshopped into. I know, I know. Who cares. But an old man has to pass the time some way :lol: First is a Google Earth screenshot and the second is a Bing maps screenshot.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

NCIS:LA, A Bit Unreal?

No.

Totally FAKE.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

rich... I agree. I've been somewhat disappointed so far with NCIS:LA as well.... I watch it, and I like the actors, but, when the show finishes, I"m not sure if I liked it or not.

I actually like LInda Hunt, I think she's one of the bright spots of the show. I admit, though, I do miss Louise Lombard. I thought Mace was a good character, and the back story with Gibbs would have made a decent continuing story line if they chose to delve into that any deeper.

I thought with Louse Lombard leading the team, it felt more like NCIS...with Linda Hunt as the "head", the whole thing feels a little odd. I liked the team dynamic in the NCIS episodes that they spend in LA, and I"m not sure that I like the team dynamic they have going on now....
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, some of us commented on that location issue in another thread. Apparently this NCIS operation must be to the Office of Naval Intelligence as FBI intelligence operations are to the CIA, or something. And the Linda Hunt thing is a bit over the top. Hopefully, they'll clean this up with some back story information. In terms of ratings, they have time as the original "NCIS" gives them an overwhelming lead in for viewers who want the show to work

I liked the show, but I think I would have liked it better as a ''stand alone" show rather than a spinoff of a show that I really like. The difference between the two (who doesn't compare a spinoff to the original show?) was so great that I found it a bit unsettling.

Nothing against Linda Hunt, but I kinda doubt that she would have ever been able to join any of the services because of her height. That's what threw me about her.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

CBS has ordered a full-season of this show because of high ratings according to this story today.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

Part of the problem is that there is no real leader of this NCIS team. The Linda Hunt character is more for comic relief. their version of Ducky. They need a true team leader. Otherwise the show is nothing more than a cop buddy show. Reminds me of Starsky and Hutch without the car.
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#9 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Part of the problem is that there is no real leader of this NCIS team. The Linda Hunt character is more for comic relief. their version of Ducky. They need a true team leader. Otherwise the show is nothing more than a cop buddy show. Reminds me of Starsky and Hutch without the car.

Oh I don't know, that Challenger they have is pretty sweet.....

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

And Chrysler's paying big bucks to showcase those cars. Ever drive one of them?

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Nah... I prefer Gibbs car.
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

My husband and I are sick of hearing EVERY episode how LL Cool J was a SEAL. Whatever! I don't buy it and real Seals would never "name drop" like that all the time.

I agree that the show seems like a cop/buddy show. LL and Chris have some great chemistry, but it just doesn't seem like a military based show at all.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:57 AM

My husband and I are sick of hearing EVERY episode how LL Cool J was a SEAL. Whatever! I don't buy it and real Seals would never "name drop" like that all the time.

That's true and it annoyed me greatly.

I agree that the show seems like a cop/buddy show. LL and Chris have some great chemistry, but it just doesn't seem like a military based show at all.

Hardly seems like a spinoff of NCIS, does it? Couldn't be much more different.

Rich

spam firewall