Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV adds HD Locals in Jackson, MS

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

I'm receiving word this morning that DIRECTV has turned on HD locals in Jackson, MS.

WLBT-NBC, WJTV-CBS, WAPT-ABC, and WDBD-FOX should now be in HD.

Can any of our members confirm? Thanks guys.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lindsley

lindsley

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

Yes, Direct TV now has locals in HD in Jackson, MS. They are

NBC- Channel 3
CBS- Channel 12
ABC- Channel 16
PBS- Channel 29
Fox- Channel 40

and Channel 34 shows in setup as HD but don't know if thney have any HD programming

#3 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

and Channel 34 shows in setup as HD but don't know if thney have any HD programming

It may be an SD MPEG4 copy of the MPEG2 signal; don't you guys get your SD locals now with a 2nd 18" dish?

#4 OFFLINE   lindsley

lindsley

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

Have always gotten SD locals. The channel 34 I am referring to is a CW channel with the call letters of WRBJ. I just don't know if CW broadcasts any shows in HD because I never watch that network.

#5 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

Have always gotten SD locals.

Uh yea, I already knew that; I was just asking about the dish that...oh never mind... :confused:

The channel 34 I am referring to is a CW channel with the call letters of WRBJ. I just don't know if CW broadcasts any shows in HD because I never watch that network.

Yes, most of the CW network itself IS in HD; can't speak for the local prog this station shows.

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

Yes, D* launched Jackson, MS this morning at 6:00am EST. 134 DMAs are now launched in HD, representing 91% of tv households.

#7 OFFLINE   Dirk

Dirk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Does anyone know if we are ever going to get any locals on the MS coast at all? I'll even take SD locals. Just something.

#8 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

Yes, D* launched Jackson, MS this morning at 6:00am EST. 134 DMAs are now launched in HD, representing 91% of tv households.

Festivus, thanks D*.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#9 OFFLINE   SFjr

SFjr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

FOX 40 does not work on my HR20-100 (blank screen, no sound). It works fine on my HR22-100. Anyone else seeing this problem? A reset causes FOX 40 to work until I change channels - then when I return to FOX 40 it is blank again.

#10 OFFLINE   dcooke

dcooke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

Jackson, MS serves as my Neighboring locals. Should i receive these in HD or will they continue to be SD only?

#11 OFFLINE   uswebworx

uswebworx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

HD was working, survivor however is not in HD tonight???????

#12 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

HD was working, survivor however is not in HD tonight???????

I didn't think CBS broadcasts Survivor in HD. I could be wrong.

#13 OFFLINE   SFjr

SFjr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

Survivor was in HD tonight. I recorded it off of the new HD local and watched it. Keep in mind that if you have any series previously set to record on the local channels, you will have to delete them and re-add them using the HD channel. Otherwise, it will continue to record the standard def channel.

#14 OFFLINE   Gonesouth

Gonesouth

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

I get WLBT here in Lafayette, LA. Why do I not get this channel in HD? This is my local NBC affiliate, and they never have a problem turning down my HD request for getting distant HD.

Thanks
DirecTV customer since 1997
Left DirecTV January 2010. No local channels in HD. My locals would not waive, and I have a 5 story parking garage blocking my OTA signals!

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?" Vince Lombardi

#15 OFFLINE   sarhaynes

sarhaynes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

FOX 40 does not work on my HR20-100 (blank screen, no sound). It works fine on my HR22-100. Anyone else seeing this problem? A reset causes FOX 40 to work until I change channels - then when I return to FOX 40 it is blank again.

I've been complaining about this issue in C'Ville, VA on my H20-100 for about 2 years now. Somehow if you scan for channels and find ones that D* doesn't know about the Hx20-100 boxes seem to get confused. My HR20-700 does not have this problem. If you change channels in one direction I get one channel if I change it another direction I get a different channel.

HR34-700 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605 to Philips 42" Plasma (1080i)
HR24-500 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Magnavox 32" LCD (1080i)

C31-700 to 32" Samsung Smart TV (1080p)
H21-200 HDMI to Vizio 32" LED LCD (1080p)
H23-600 HDMI to LG 26" LED LCD (1080p)
Whole-Home DVR Enabled (Wireless Networked via Bridge)
D12-300 to Ancient Magnavox CRT
Sat-Go
Charlottesville, VA - Still waiting for Locals via Sat

#16 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Does anyone know if we are ever going to get any locals on the MS coast at all? I'll even take SD locals. Just something.

These idiots can't even give us the 2 locals we're already entitled to and that have been on the system for years. (WKRG-CBS and WPMI-NBC). If they were to ever get around to adding Gulfport/Biloxi (which I doubt will ever happen) then all these idiots would give us would be WXXV and WLOX. (which is why it probably never will happen since they can't seem to realize that radio waves cross state lines and some people legally receive channels from more than one market) :nono2:

Edited by Racer88, 12 October 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

I get WLBT here in Lafayette, LA. Why do I not get this channel in HD? This is my local NBC affiliate, and they never have a problem turning down my HD request for getting distant HD.

Thanks

Because they don't want to I guess.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

These idiots can't even give us the 2 locals we're already entitled to and that have been on the system for years. (WKRG-CBS and WPMI-NBC). If they were to ever get around to adding Gulfport/Biloxi (which I doubt will ever happen) then all these idiots would give us would be WXXV and WLOX. (which is why it probably never will happen since they can't seem to realize that radio waves cross state lines and some people legally receive channels from more than one market) :nono2:

Apparently DirecTV only offers channels from other significantly viewed markets IF they carry your locals. So they'd have to carry Biloxi locals first before they'd offer the Mobile-Pensacola stations.

Yeah, it's stupid. At my Mississippi address I should be able to get NBC from Tupelo and Jackson (HD) but since they don't carry the Greenwood market, we don't get jack. Nor do we get PBS HD. It's weird.

#19 OFFLINE   BNut

BNut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

I also live in Lafayette, LA and am very curious. If I'm getting an NBC feed that is from Jackson, MS, when there are 3 NBC affiliates about 60 to 75 miles from where I live (WVLA out of Batron Rouge and KPLC out of Lake Charles and KALB out of Alexandria) why I can't at least get the WLBT feed in HD instead of SD?

Are local HD feeds only done via "spot beam" or whatever its called? Does anyone know if Lafayette, LA is close enough to receive Baton Rouge's "spot beam" for its local HD channels?

Thanks,
Brian

#20 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

I also live in Lafayette, LA and am very curious. If I'm getting an NBC feed that is from Jackson, MS, when there are 3 NBC affiliates about 60 to 75 miles from where I live (WVLA out of Batron Rouge and KPLC out of Lake Charles and KALB out of Alexandria) why I can't at least get the WLBT feed in HD instead of SD?

Are local HD feeds only done via "spot beam" or whatever its called? Does anyone know if Lafayette, LA is close enough to receive Baton Rouge's "spot beam" for its local HD channels?

Thanks,
Brian

It would appear that WLBT SD is on the same spotbeam and transponder as some of the other Lafayette locals. Presumably, the Baton Rouge spot does not provide sufficient coverage of the Lafayette DMA. DirecTV does not provide locals to Lake Charles or Alexandria (yet), so these are not possible alternatives.

HD locals are on a different satellite than SD locals, and the spot beams are configured differently. Thus, the Jackson HD local spot beam may or may not cover all of the Lafayette area. Regardless, DirecTV couldn't import an HD local from another market but not provide that market's HD locals.

All HD locals are on spot beams with the exception of the big four networks from NY and LA which serve as DNS network channels. Unfortunately, the spot beam maps we have for DirecTV are quite limited, and it is difficult to say whether or not the Baton Rouge spot beam covers Lafayette. We do know that Baton Rouge's HD locals are on the 99 sat, transponder 16, so your signal strength on that transponder might give you the answer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...