Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV adds HD Locals in Jackson, MS

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BNut

BNut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

It would appear that WLBT SD is on the same spotbeam and transponder as some of the other Lafayette locals. Presumably, the Baton Rouge spot does not provide sufficient coverage of the Lafayette DMA. DirecTV does not provide locals to Lake Charles or Alexandria (yet), so these are not possible alternatives.

HD locals are on a different satellite than SD locals, and the spot beams are configured differently. Thus, the Jackson HD local spot beam may or may not cover all of the Lafayette area. Regardless, DirecTV couldn't import an HD local from another market but not provide that market's HD locals.

All HD locals are on spot beams with the exception of the big four networks from NY and LA which serve as DNS network channels. Unfortunately, the spot beam maps we have for DirecTV are quite limited, and it is difficult to say whether or not the Baton Rouge spot beam covers Lafayette. We do know that Baton Rouge's HD locals are on the 99 sat, transponder 16, so your signal strength on that transponder might give you the answer.

Thanks for the information about the sat and transponder. On Sat 99S and Transponder 16 I get 97% signal strenth but Sat 99C Trans 16 is N/A. I'm guessing 99S is the Satetelite you were referring too?

Based upon that, it would appear that the Lafayette viewing area shouldn't have any problems picking up the Baton Rouge spot beam, unless that spot beam has a rapid drop off at its edges. (I live on the western side of Lafayette.)

What is the process I would need to follow to see about getting a waiver to get WVLA out of Baton Rouge (even if it was only SD) rather than WLBT out of Jackson, MS? Would I have to submit some type of waiver request to WLBT begging to get WVLA, even though WLBT is in another state? Lafayette doesn't have an NBC affiliate so I don't understand why any type of waiver is even needed? Its annoying as heck when programs get interupted by breaking news or weather alerts that don't even remotely effect your family. Or would I need to simply contact WVLA directly and they would "authorize" DirectTV to let me "receive" Baton Rouge's spot beam for NBC?

If my dish is already receiving the spot beam signal how difficult can it be for them to tell my receiver "You may now view channel 33 in Baton Rouge!"?

Sorry for the rant/vent...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the information about the sat and transponder. On Sat 99S and Transponder 16 I get 97% signal strenth but Sat 99C Trans 16 is N/A. I'm guessing 99S is the Satetelite you were referring too?

Based upon that, it would appear that the Lafayette viewing area shouldn't have any problems picking up the Baton Rouge spot beam, unless that spot beam has a rapid drop off at its edges. (I live on the western side of Lafayette.)

What is the process I would need to follow to see about getting a waiver to get WVLA out of Baton Rouge (even if it was only SD) rather than WLBT out of Jackson, MS? Would I have to submit some type of waiver request to WLBT begging to get WVLA, even though WLBT is in another state? Lafayette doesn't have an NBC affiliate so I don't understand why any type of waiver is even needed? Its annoying as heck when programs get interupted by breaking news or weather alerts that don't even remotely effect your family. Or would I need to simply contact WVLA directly and they would "authorize" DirectTV to let me "receive" Baton Rouge's spot beam for NBC?

If my dish is already receiving the spot beam signal how difficult can it be for them to tell my receiver "You may now view channel 33 in Baton Rouge!"?

Sorry for the rant/vent...

99S is the correct one. The S represents spot or spot beam. So, that means your area is within the same HD spot beam. The SD Baton Rouge spot beam is on 119 TP 29.

Unfortunately, there is no legal way for you to receive WVLA via satellite, unless DirecTV decides to provide it to your market (and even then, it would be SD only as long as they aren't providing or planning to provide Lafayette HD locals). You could receive waivers for NBC out of New York. If you're only interested in network programming and not local programming (after all, you would still get local news from the Lafayette stations), that would be the best option.

Now, whenever DirecTV adds Lafayette HD locals, there would be a stronger possibility of you getting WVLA to fill in the missing NBC.

#23 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

Lafayette is the only market in Louisiana that isn't in DirecTV's visible future plans. Talk about feeling the love :/

#24 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

Its really sad that Lafayette still doesn't have their locals in HD or that Directv still doesn't carry CST! I guess with the FIOS starting to take hold in Lafayette Directv is starting to see it as a losing battle.

#25 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

It really kills customers like me outside of the Fios service area. No viable competition outside of city limits. It's Charter (ugh) or Sat.

#26 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

It really kills customers like me outside of the Fios service area. No viable competition outside of city limits. It's Charter (ugh) or Sat.

I know exactly how you feel. I live in Cankton and I'll never see FIOS out here.

#27 OFFLINE   BNut

BNut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

99S is the correct one. The S represents spot or spot beam. So, that means your area is within the same HD spot beam. The SD Baton Rouge spot beam is on 119 TP 29.

Unfortunately, there is no legal way for you to receive WVLA via satellite, unless DirecTV decides to provide it to your market (and even then, it would be SD only as long as they aren't providing or planning to provide Lafayette HD locals). You could receive waivers for NBC out of New York. If you're only interested in network programming and not local programming (after all, you would still get local news from the Lafayette stations), that would be the best option.

Now, whenever DirecTV adds Lafayette HD locals, there would be a stronger possibility of you getting WVLA to fill in the missing NBC.

Bama,
Thanks again for the wealth of information you have provided. I'll check the spot beam for the BR SD channels but it sounds like that is fight I will never win.

I find it odd that Lafayette is the 5th largest city by population in Louisiana, yet D* doesn't even have PLANS to provide our locals in HD?!!? I am fortunate to be in the LUS Fiber service area, along with Cox and ATT so I may end up playing the game of pitting them all against each other for at cost or below cost specials in exchange for 2 year contracts.

Take care,
Brian

#28 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

Were the revisions to the HD DNS lookup tool on Directv.com made? It still says to check back in July, so unless they mean July 2011, they might need to change more than just their lookup tool.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...