Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pixelating picture after adding 148 dish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:01 PM

Sigh..... I hate it when this happens....

Last Monday, I got the second dish added so that I can watch Univision 19-Sacramento (wink wink smile). The channel came in fine on the two 301s. It got signed off.

Went to my room and.... Univision 19 is all pixelated. The other channels that are available on 148 (ie International Promos, Good Samaritan) come in just fine. The signal strength for the transponder is around 93-95. Did the usual thing (front panel reset, pull the smart card, unplug the receiver) doesn't work. On the advice of Dish, tried the receiver on another outlet...same thing! Okay, Dish RMA's me another unit, installed it this morning, same thing happens. The advanced tech had me hook up a 301 to the outlet where I had the 501 hooked up... no problems.

Huh? I've got a technician coming out Wednesday. Still, since knowledge is power, could this be a grounding problem, or what?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:34 PM

Sounds like the connection that feeds the 501 from the Dish (or switch) is bad. Could be a loose fitting on the LNB, or switch; bad switch; or bad cable from the 148 dish to the switch. You've ruled out the receiver.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 07:35 AM

Z'loth, I have to disagree with Tony, if the 501 experiences the problems on multiple outlets, and the 301s are fine on the 501 outlet. My first question - is the line coming into your room running through a coax surge protector before connecting to the 501? If so, bypass the surge protector and run the line directly to the 501 and see if that does anything. Did you do a check switch on the 501? If the 501 worked fine at other outlets in your house, I'd say you had a cabling or switch problem. But if it fails at every outlet, while your other receivers work, that indicates to me that there is a problem with the 501. I suppose that it's possible that the 501 requires a slightly "cleaner" signal coming through the lines than 301s requre, hence your problem. It's certainly a puzzler! Let us know how things work out on Wednesday.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 April 2002 - 05:33 PM

No coax surge protector. Sacramento has only one thunderstorm a year. :) I'll have the installer check the grounding.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#5 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 02:49 PM

Originally posted by TNGTony
Sounds like the connection that feeds the 501 from the Dish (or switch) is bad. Could be a loose fitting on the LNB, or switch; bad switch; or bad cable from the 148 dish to the switch. You've ruled out the receiver.

See ya
Tony

hey Tony - I've arrived here :)

Me

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 11:53 PM

Welcome! Good to have you here. :D

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:43 AM

Okay, this is too freaking wierd....

Just for S&G, I tune in to the Univision station and.... picture perfect. No pixelating, no problems. Wierd.

Okay, I'm just going to act surprised when the technician comes in today. Fortunately, I haven't returned my other 501 and recorded samples from several 148 channels onto the hard drive.

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:48 AM

Hmm souunds like a cable problem, perhaps there was some water or something near the connection.

Go spray your dish with a hose and see if the problem comes back :)

If it does probably a bad crimp on the connector.

BTW Welcome Darkman!

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 April 2002 - 06:11 PM

Well, even though the work order said "come as late as possible", the technician arrived at 12:20.... when my mother was out. The appointment has been rescheduled for Saturday (one of my few rare days off).

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 06:45 PM

come as late as possible", the technician arrived at 12:20

Dont ya hate when that happens, samthing happened when my mom had her TV delivered, it was supposed to come at 4PM but when I got home I found a note on the door saying the delivery guys were there at 2 and no one was home :rolleyes:
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#11 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 06:56 PM

Thank you, Scott

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 April 2002 - 10:58 AM

Well, the technician was here.... and he said that he got multiple reports of the same problem, not just me. Gave the system, said he will bring up at the next meeting. KUVS is working fine now. Go figure.

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 11:17 AM

In other word he didnt really want to work on your setup, he had better things to do.

Give him credit for a Good lie. :D

#14 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 11:31 AM

LOL, exactly Scott. But, unlike the others, I think it might be a ground problem. You should test all your grounding throughly and make sure that you have no loops and that everything is grounded. Make sure all your grounds work, then check to make sure all grounds are tied together.

#15 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 11:32 AM

I know it probably sound unlikely to the some of you, but bad ground definately can cause problem that affect only certain transponders and that are intermittant. I had this problem before

#16 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 11:40 AM

When I got my Dish Network installed the guy showed up he asked me how many outlets I wanted setup, I told him 4 and he told me he did not have any time or the materials to do it. He then walked around the yard and told me there was possibly no way I could pick up any satellite signals on my property.

I told him I was disapointed as I was looking forward to watching HDTV from DIsh Network, he looked at me and said "You need a Dish 6000 for that which has only been out a few days, I haven't even seen one yet"

I told him I have one.

Next he said and then you need a HDTV, told him I had one of those too. He walked around outside for a couple of seconds with his little satellite viewfinder, and say something to the effect of "I had the wrong setting on my viewfinder, you can get 110, 119 and 61.5 with no problem."

He then went to work and called in two other techs, he wired the dishs and ran the cable to my theater and played with my Dish 6000 for 2 hours while his other guys did the rest of the work.

It was funny to watch him change his tune after I had something he wanted to play with.

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 April 2002 - 10:58 AM

Well, I had the other 501 (which is being shipped back Monday) with samples of other programming from the 148 sat with problems on it. I am filing away the work order and have the installer's number, so I can scream bloody murder if this re-occurs (which the installer insisted that I do). Dish's POP, by the way, is located in Rancho Cordova on Data Drive. Don't ask me why, I would have located it at Walnut Grove where the transmitters for most of Sacramento's broadcasters are located.

Maybe it's a gremlin. I had call cases where the problem magically fix itself when I was on the phone, and I did nothing. Go figure. At least I say, "Beats me, but it's working now. Must be gremlins." At least I'm honest about it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...