Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

looking for scope or with digital compass

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   birdseye

birdseye

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Hi to all:

I am looking for a scope with a digital compass where the azimuth is superimposed in the field of view. Need for installing dish tv in area with lots of trees. I know I can use a compass, however, I would prefer to be able to find gaps in trees without taking my eyes off of the target, and this tool, I believe, would be most suitable.

a few years ago, I saw another installer with a device that looked like a pair of binoculars that folded into a carrying case. This device, as you looked accross the horizon, would have the azimuth reading in degrees superimposed in the field of view. I can't seem to find one of those anywhere.

I did find a tool that may be useful, however, it is a bit pricey, and may not be suitable for what I need it. It's called the azimuth data scope. it is a 5x30 mocular with digital compass, bearing, and rangefinder. it retails for about $330. The description of the product claims, it is for sailors, boaters, hunters, and hikers.

Any information on a suitable product would be extremely appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

Check out this contraption. I used it for many years (until I broke it). http://www.gourmet-e...oducts/sat.html
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

I fabricated an accurate sat finder from three ordinary, inexpensive items purchased
at Walmart for less than (not then) $10. (I already had the super glue on hand.)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   birdseye

birdseye

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Richard:

Thank you very much for the information on the sat site. It seems like a very nifty tool. Just out of curiosity, Did you find it to be very accurate? Will device work for Dish Network Installations?

Edited by birdseye, 08 October 2009 - 09:09 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

The defacto industry standard tool for this is the Suunto Tandem:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's a compass on one end and an inclinometer on the other, and you use it with both eyes open (looking into the black rings), which let's you see the angles of what you're looking at. While you can't see both readings together, it isn't at all difficult to use, and is quite accurate.

The problem is that it is very expensive at $160 or so; I've seen no-name branded units for as low as $90 that work just as well, but may not be as durable under rough use.

#6 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Richard:

Thank you very much for the information on the sat site. It seems like a very nifty tool. Just out of curiosity, Did you find it to be very accurate? Will device work for Dish Network Installations?

It worked just fine for me for C-band and Dish installations. I used it in Minnesota and then bought another one here in Florida.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...