Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Southland canceled before season premier

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

In another sign that NBC has no idea what it's doing or it is decided to become TV-on-the-cheap, the network has canceled "Southland" before its season premier and will continue "Dateline NBC" in the Friday 9 pm time slot. From the Hollywood Reporter:

It is not clear when the six produced new episodes of "Southland" will air. Meanwhile, the cop drama starring Ben McKenzie will be shopped to broadcast and cable networks.

"I'm disappointed that NBC no longer has the time periods available to support the kind of critically-acclaimed series that was for so many years, a hallmark of their success," Wells said. "We remain extremely proud of 'Southland' and are actively looking for another home for the series."

Although it was uneven, I thought this show had good potential and could develop into a solid next generation replacement for the "Law and Order" franchises that kept NBC high in the 10 pm slot ratings for so many years. Of course, NBC no longer has a 10 pm slot.:(

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Here's my new slogan for NBC:

"NBC, run by Tools"

:lol:

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Could be mixed blessings.

Keeping it in the family, it would fit nicely with TNTs "We know drama" theme. Less so with USA.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

Crazy .. This is a good show and I will not be surprised if someone picks it up .. Including either HBO or Showtime, but it would probably fair better on a network. Did I say Crazy?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well for now Im going to remove the SL. Really like it too. I do see it heading towards TNT.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

Good, bad, or indifferent... it's another example of pure stupidity of networks to pay for something and not air it. No matter how you slice it, IF it is so bad they didn't want to air it... the plug should have been pulled much sooner.

If it were just one show, you could write it off as a fluke... but more networks are starting to make this a habit... greenlight a show (or renew it), make a bunch of episodes, then pull the plug before airing them.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:58 PM

I think it was an "OK" show. My wife liked it, and I thought it was better than reality TV. My biggest complaint was the bleeping. It was just annoying. They should have just used euphemisms like every other show on network TV.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

WHen I start to see at least what I considered decent programming cancelled, it always reminds me of the 1st return episode of Family Guy after Fox resurrected it. Peter Griffin spends 5 minutes at the beginning listing all the good shows that Fox had cancelled over the last few years, many of which I had watched....gee, isnt Family Guy still on the air years later?

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

They have no idea what they're doing, do they?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:55 AM

This show is better on HBO or the like. I understood the bleeping.. they were trying to keep it more real. Euphemisms for real words seems so lame to me. We all know what they are really going to say, just say it. Cable networks can do that without the wrath of the FCC coming down on them, so I hope they move it to a good cable channel and remove the bleeps. The show had great potential. I was already invested in some of the characters and want to know more about them!
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#11 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:08 AM

I really like the show also. I agree it might work OK on HBO or someplace they could be a little more raw. Maybe even FX or TNT.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:42 AM

I don't know why but I have had an intense hatred for this show just based on the commercials.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

I don't know why but I have had an intense hatred for this show just based on the commercials.

That's how I feel towards Leno's "new" show. Jay's on at 10pm est every weekday, I GET IT! :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Same here really.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

I kinda liked this show....Hope it gets a new home soon.

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#16 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:03 AM

In another sign that NBC has no idea what it's doing ...

Quite the opposite: Obviously, the six episodes WB presented sucked, and smart folks thought it better to not present the crap.

... or it is decided to become TV-on-the-cheap...

Which is probably all viewership is worth these days.

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

Euphemisms for real words seems so lame to me. We all know what they are really going to say, just say it.

Just had a flashback to "Johnny Dangerously": 'Iceholes' and 'fargin' and a few others.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#18 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

Theory:

NBC had this show in the kind of role that a manager has his reliever warm up in the 9th, even if the starter is doing fine, in case he runs out of gas.

In case Leno totally bombed such that it was necessary to pull him, they had this show, dateline and whatever they could put together to get them through Christmas and then they could get something legitimate on.

With Leno merely stinking, rather than totally failing, they can tell the reliever to sit down.

NBC today should be mentioned as the best of the netlets, CW, Ion, My, etc. The Big Three are now Fox, CBS, and ABC.

#19 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

... moving towards a place where all we'll have are "netlets", because of the continued splintering of the television audience due to introduction of new diversions.

#20 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

Theory:

NBC had this show in the kind of role that a manager has his reliever warm up in the 9th, even if the starter is doing fine, in case he runs out of gas.

In case Leno totally bombed such that it was necessary to pull him, they had this show, dateline and whatever they could put together to get them through Christmas and then they could get something legitimate on.

With Leno merely stinking, rather than totally failing, they can tell the reliever to sit down.

Except that the "relief pitcher" is already on the mound for the next inning. You know, the little "if you missed any of tonight's episode, you can see an encore performance tomorrow night" thing. The timeslot is already there and waiting.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...