Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

.2 Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

About a year ago, a new digital multicast service called .2 Network was announced with a scheduled launch date of December 2008. One of the affiliates was to be a station in my local market.

But ten months after the scheduled launch, we still don't have this service, and apparently, it hasn't started anywhere, yet.

Anyone know the status of .2 Network? Does anyone actually have this service up and running in their local market? If it isn't operational yet, I have to wonder if it can really become a viable service.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

It took about 2 minutes on Google to find all of this information:

1. .2 network has a website... on that website they provide NO information about where they can be seen, only that you should contact your local provider. One would think that were they actually on the air somewhere they would be shouting about it.

2. The San Antonio affiliate was to have been KSAT TV, whose web site also shows no information about their pkans for .2 Network.

3. A list of all the planned affiliates for .2 can be found at http://en.wikipedia....wiki/.2_Network as well as a record of their delays. It may well be that they have ceen the victim of the delays in the digital transition and the general economy.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

Another commercial tv outlet. 14 minutes of commercials per hour. :nono:

http://dot2network.c...ess/firstaffils

Looks like it will have some good movies. I am oiling up the fast forward button. :lol:

Will have to see how an additional HD channel will degrade the primary channel.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#4 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

So, it sounds like .2 hasn't started yet.

One would think that were they actually on the air somewhere they would be shouting about it.

You would think they would make an announcement, and maybe they would on a national level, but in my local market, I would say multicast services have been added with little, if any fanfare. Most just showed up unannounced when scanning channels. Station websites also provide little or no information on these multicast channels, save for a programming guide. YMMV in your particular market.

Makes me wonder if the local affiliates of major networks have some kind of pact with those networks not to promote multicast channels?

#5 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have worked for three big-four affiliates and I've never heard of any such restriction. In fact, one of them actively promoted their subchannel. I have also seen promos for subchannels on many other stations.

More likely, stations decide they don't want to use their resources to promote a channel until it reaches a majority of households in the market. Since cable/satellite penetration is roughly 85% (national figure), adding an extra multicast channel alone only reaches about 15% of households. Even if it's added on digital cable, in most cases it still doesn't reach more than half the households in the market since satellite doesn't carry it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...