Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Beta Ending?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Just checked the other site and it appears the 922 Beta is over. It also appears from many comments over there that the 922 is not yet ready for prime time. Problems mentioned included timers not firing and if firing recording not ending, no EHD yet, Slingbox problems and maybe it doesn't support IR remotes yet.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

Yeah, I saw that. And I still say do you really want to rely on Dish Network for support for something this complicated? I'm toying with the idea of buying a Sling setup. Dish Network (1) should be creating a simple but effective browser for the ViP series and (2) could become an effective marketing outlet for Echostar's Sling equipment.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

I'm still running the vip622 which works OK, would you suggest upgrading to the vip722k, I was told by dish I have a free upgrade, or waiting for the vip922 to clear up it's problems?
Thank you,
356B

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

I'm still running the vip622 which works OK, would you suggest upgrading to the vip722k, I was told by dish I have a free upgrade, or waiting for the vip922 to clear up it's problems?
Thank you,
356B

I'm a conservative when it comes to these boxes. If the 922 came out tomorrow I wouldn't touch it for at least 9 months based on previous post-release problems.

If your 622 works, I'd wait until it doesn't or at least appears to be developing problems. At this time the 722k doesn't offer anything meaningful when you can't get off-the-air reception, in my opinion.

One option might be to add a 722k though there would be costs. The thing I like most about having both a 722 and a 612, besides being able to record four shows at a time, is the idea if one fails I still have the other until a replacement arrives.

But that's my opinion, it's free and worth every penny.:grin:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, I saw that. And I still say do you really want to rely on Dish Network for support for something this complicated? I'm toying with the idea of buying a Sling setup. Dish Network (1) should be creating a simple but effective browser for the ViP series and (2) could become an effective marketing outlet for Echostar's Sling equipment.

I agree completely. I remember when folks were complaining about the complexity of VCRs :) Too bad Dish can't get the DVRs to the point that they are as easy to use as a TV. And here they come with the 922 and it's weird remote and Slingbox they can't get to work.:bang

Thank you,
356B

There are a couple of advantages to the 722K. If it's free. One is the ability to record 2 OTA channels as opposed to 1 on the 622/722. But you have to buy the module. Without it you don't have OTA at all. The one thing I do like is the ability to load all your timers and option info into the remote. But not enough to pay any extra to get it.

#6 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thanks to "phrelin" and "olguy" for you inputs, I suspect I'll leave well enough alone for now.
Thanks again

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

Considering that most folks testing in a beta program (not just Dish, but any company really) should be under some kind of non-disclosure agreement... I'm frankly surprised that any public forum exists where such topics are being discussed at any level.

As such, given that anyone posting such a thing would almost have to be in violation of an NDA to make that post... I'm not inclined to think much of it unless and until someone from Dish issues a press release or other similar official notice.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

As far as the OTA for the 722k is concerned, we just moved from the 722 to the 722k when the former died. One of the posters on here suggested that I call DISH, talk to a CSR, and ask them for the OTA module since I already had been paying for one. The CSR very politely told me that I would have it in three days at no charge. That was LATE Monday night. I had it when I got home from work on Thursday, and it works great. If you already have OTA, you shouldn't lose it. Just call, be polite, and hopefully you'll get it.

#9 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

Considering that most folks testing in a beta program (not just Dish, but any company really) should be under some kind of non-disclosure agreement... I'm frankly surprised that any public forum exists where such topics are being discussed at any level.

As such, given that anyone posting such a thing would almost have to be in violation of an NDA to make that post... I'm not inclined to think much of it unless and until someone from Dish issues a press release or other similar official notice.

I seem to recall you making a similar comment in the past. And according to the fellow who set up the 922 Beta forum over there he reviewed all the Retailer paperwork and could find nothing that prevented discussion on a public forum. He did caution those who might have signed a NDA to not post. He also reminded them they were to report the bugs they found back to the Dish Network per the Beta Testing Instructions. And since it has been going on since June and none of the posters have reported that Dish repossessed their Beta 922 I have to assume it's credible. While you might not think much of it, some of us do. And we anxiously await your report after you try the 922.

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,814 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

Guys think about it for a minute - beta programs aren't really over until the model is withdrawn from service. I mean - you have to have someone to check new features / new versions of software etc. There's probably still beta 4900's out there :D ...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

Guys think about it for a minute - beta programs aren't really over until the model is withdrawn from service. I mean - you have to have someone to check new features / new versions of software etc. There's probably still beta 4900's out there :D ...

That's kind of where I was going with my post, in addition to the idea that IF you're in a beta you must be under an NDA...

You *might* be in a test/preview program designed to show off something, but that might not be a beta program... So the "beta program is ending" sounds a lot to me like "the sky is falling"... since, as you put it very well, a beta program really only "ends" when a product hits end-of-life OR I suppose if something in development were to be canceled that might count too.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

I seem to recall you making a similar comment in the past. And according to the fellow who set up the 922 Beta forum over there he reviewed all the Retailer paperwork and could find nothing that prevented discussion on a public forum. He did caution those who might have signed a NDA to not post. He also reminded them they were to report the bugs they found back to the Dish Network per the Beta Testing Instructions. And since it has been going on since June and none of the posters have reported that Dish repossessed their Beta 922 I have to assume it's credible. While you might not think much of it, some of us do. And we anxiously await your report after you try the 922.

To be blunt... just because someone gets away with something doesn't make it right. Everyone I've ever known who has been in a beta program has had an NDA... Perhaps we are arguing semantics, because perhaps the retailers are not actually participating in a true beta program? I have no way of knowing since I'm not a retailer.

I am waiting for the opportunity to get a 922, so I'd surely like to think it could be coming soon. I know I've held off on swapping for a 722K since the 922 should be that + more based on CES.

#13 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Might not fit your definition of Beta testing and maybe in your world everyone would have signed a NDA but it seems in that other world there was a Dish 922 Beta test going on that did not require the signing of a NDA. And Dish sent out emails requesting those folks who were participating complete a final survey. And if a final survey is not indicative of a test ending I can't imagine what is.

And it was not a "sky is falling" post. It was a post to inform anyone interested that Dish was apparently through gathering information on the 922 from folks who thought they were in a Beta test. And that some of those folks think the 922 is far from being ready for the masses. But I guess since it didn't meet your criteria for a Beta test they were just trying the 922 out for Dish.

#14 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Not everybody who posts, they are in the Beta program are really in the Beta testing either, or even know whats really going on. How many posts by so called users, about problems or features about the 922 that have turned into plain and simple VAPOR, or how many, I am in inside employee and here are the real facts and it will be launched on this Day Posts that have turned into VAPOR.

Heck when the ViP622 was launched so called testers and insiders spouted all sorts of stuff, my Vip622 was going to be nothing but a door stop when it arrived. I overheated myself, Dish sent a new one, only issue I ever had with the 622, and that was in the 1st month.

Lets see, I could just post, hey I have been a member of the ViP 922 Beta testing and here are all the things right and wrong with it. Means squat, because I am not a Beta tester, but I always can say I am, and you would never know I wasn't if I didn't say so.

Sorry in any forum posting world, you have to take things with a BIG grain of salt. The idea that any company would have Beta Testers without NDA, just isn't going to happen. It wont stop users who say otherwise, because its down right impossible to prove rather they are or aren't.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

Sorry in any forum posting world, you have to take things with a BIG grain of salt. The idea that any company would have Beta Testers without NDA, just isn't going to happen. It wont stop users who say otherwise, because its down right impossible to prove rather they are or aren't.

That's pretty much the fence I always sit upon. Rumors are fun, and speculation is fun, but I don't believe any of it unless I see it myself or the company issues a formal announcement.

100% agree with you on the NDA thing too. In another thread I'm pretty sure I remember posting something similar. IF a company has some people sign an NDA and other people not, then give all those people the same equipment/software... then legally, they have already broken their own NDA by giving the info to people not under NDA... and that would nullify the NDA they have with the other people.

So I similarly can't imagine any company giving beta equipment to anyone not under NDA. Now... people might say they aren't (just like people say lots of things anonymously in online forums)... or people might actually believe erroneously that they aren't.

#16 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

Shade of E*'s problems with the 921. Anyone else remember how bad its initial release was???

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

Shade of E*'s problems with the 921. Anyone else remember how bad its initial release was???

John

I do remember seeing lots of complaints. Can't remember how the follow-on 942 fared, though.

I also remember complaints about the ViP622 when it launched, but I didn't get mine for almost a year after it came out and I haven't had any issues with mine. I think the ViP722 was one of the more stable recent launches if I remember correctly.

By comparison, I also don't think the 722K has been crazy with complaints like the 921 seemed to be.

#18 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

I do remember seeing lots of complaints. Can't remember how the follow-on 942 fared, though.

I also remember complaints about the ViP622 when it launched, but I didn't get mine for almost a year after it came out and I haven't had any issues with mine. I think the ViP722 was one of the more stable recent launches if I remember correctly.

By comparison, I also don't think the 722K has been crazy with complaints like the 921 seemed to be.

The 921 was terrible. I never had a problem with any 942s that i installed.

#19 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

The 921 was terrible. I never had a problem with any 942s that i installed.

My experience as well. I don't think E* every got the 921 right. Makes me skeptical of their revolutionary releases.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#20 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:18 PM

The guy that got the email thanking him for the beta test is also the guy that purchased his 922 off of eBay. None of the others making reports have said they got the same email. Maybe Dish juts didn't want this "unauthorized" person in the beta.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...