Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Beta Ending?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

The guy that got the email thanking him for the beta test is also the guy that purchased his 922 off of eBay. None of the others making reports have said they got the same email. Maybe Dish juts didn't want this "unauthorized" person in the beta.

NOW that is FUNNY. ViP922 system off of EBAY.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

The guy that got the email thanking him for the beta test is also the guy that purchased his 922 off of eBay. None of the others making reports have said they got the same email. Maybe Dish juts didn't want this "unauthorized" person in the beta.

That is actually the first thing I've heard that makes sense. I remember being very surprised when I heard about someone selling a 922 on eBay (I saw the link for it after the auction closed)... and then amazed that he actually got it authorized. Maybe someone at Dish finally closed that loophole?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

From James Long's Charlie Chat summary.

Bill: When will the ViP-922 be released? (Late summer??? Can I beta test???)
A: You missed your chance for beta tester. Taking longer than expected. Not before Nov 12th.

Looks like there was beta test and it looks like its over. And I think I'll wait several months, if at all, before I try that jewel. It'll be a true blue miracle if it's ready in 4 weeks. Of course that's based on the posts on the other site by the guys who weren't really in a beta test.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#24 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

I sort of doubt it's over - they're still working on it, I'd bet. The Charlie Chat did NOT say it was not coming, so development is probably continuing.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#25 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

I sort of doubt it's over - they're still working on it, I'd bet. The Charlie Chat did NOT say it was not coming, so development is probably continuing.

I do agree Dish is still working on it. And I agree it will be brought out. I also believe the beta is over and they have a lot of feedback and a lot of problems to iron out. I also think Nov 12 is optimistic.

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Perhaps if there was something posted on an official 922 forum, I might lend some credence to it... but as I understand it, the forum being referenced is a self-described "unofficial" forum... so I'll just wait and see what info actually comes from Dish.

Based on the chat... it seems they might be aiming at Christmas (which makes sense), though Charlie didn't seem emphatically confident unless I'm misreading something in the summary.

#27 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

From James Long's Charlie Chat summary.
Looks like there was beta test and it looks like its over. And I think I'll wait several months, if at all, before I try that jewel. It'll be a true blue miracle if it's ready in 4 weeks. Of course that's based on the posts on the other site by the guys who weren't really in a beta test.

I think you are reading more into James summary here. The response says nothing but the Beta Test being over as I read it. What it does say is that the person missed the Beta test which could also mean he just missed the time to be considered. The post also gives no release date either. Just that it won't be ready before Nov 12th. Does not say how soon after the 12th it will be. Well at least that is how I read James recap.

As for waiting.. With a complicated device like this..Waiting for a couple of field updates is not a bad course of action to flush out the field found issues and to get feedback from the early adopters.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#28 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

I do agree Dish is still working on it. And I agree it will be brought out. I also believe the beta is over and they have a lot of feedback and a lot of problems to iron out. I also think Nov 12 is optimistic.

Yes, even Charlie admitted on the show that he has one that he's been "using" and it still has several "software and technical" problems...that it is a "complicated" device because of all the new technology that's being added.

Like everyone else has commented, I will wait for quite a while after it's released to customers before deciding on upgrading to a 922...:D
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#29 OFFLINE   SDiego

SDiego

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Sure is quite about this 922. I wonder if it will be available before xmas for us? I doubt it.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

Sure is quite about this 922. I wonder if it will be available before xmas for us? I doubt it.

Despite what some folks were drinking (Kool-aid??) it would seem that the beta isn't over and that the receiver isn't coming "soon".

That seems good to me... as I have high hopes based on what I've heard, and would like to see this receiver shine when it comes to market instead of being a complaint-fest like a couple of Dish receivers in the not-so-distant past.

:)

#31 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

Despite what some folks were drinking (Kool-aid??) it would seem that the beta isn't over and that the receiver isn't coming "soon".

That seems good to me... as I have high hopes based on what I've heard, and would like to see this receiver shine when it comes to market instead of being a complaint-fest like a couple of Dish receivers in the not-so-distant past.

:)

Maybe the Beta that never was, according to several of your previous posts, isn't over and if not you know this how? And what have you heard and where have you heard it that makes you look forward to this thing? If there is anything positive I'm sure a lot of folks here are interested. Especially since we don't have any source except the one you deride. So if you, in all your wisdom know something good, share it why don't you?

#32 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

The beta isn't over until the product comes out in production. Of course, there are going to be all sorts of problems in Beta and I wouldn't assume that those bugs will be in the production release. It could happen if they rush it to production to get it out before Christmas. It is probably best to wait several months after release before buying any new technology.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

Too bad Dish can't get the DVRs to the point that they are as easy to use as a TV.

When TV's include a comprehensive DVR feature set that is as easy to use as a TV without one, this may be a valid lament.

#34 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

When TV's include a comprehensive DVR feature set that is as easy to use as a TV without one, this may be a valid lament.

Actually that was a comment. Based on frustration. How many TVs or DVD players require nearly a dozen keystrokes to turn CC on or off? How many TV sets or DVD players have to be rebooted because of some problem? And I don't remember ever having to reboot my Panasonic Showstoppers or my ReplayTV. Granted, they were only one tuner but still...

#35 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

We've had a Vip922 in our office now for about a week. Just got hooked up yesterday by our trainer. The internet functions are extremely nerfed right now but we have it and have been watching it in the mornings. I haven't had a chance to play around too much with it, but I'll be in the office this week with some time to spare so maybe then I'll get further into it.
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,323 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

Actually that was a comment. Based on frustration. How many TVs or DVD players require nearly a dozen keystrokes to turn CC on or off? How many TV sets or DVD players have to be rebooted because of some problem? And I don't remember ever having to reboot my Panasonic Showstoppers or my ReplayTV. Granted, they were only one tuner but still...

On the other hand, the ViP DVR's are more comparable to your handy dandy super never glitching computer :rolleyes: from which you are posting then to a TV set or a DVD player.

I can remember running MS-DOS machines and not having to reboot for hours. Granted, it only ran one program at a time, but I cannot remember a computer running Windows....;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

Maybe the Beta that never was, according to several of your previous posts, isn't over and if not you know this how? And what have you heard and where have you heard it that makes you look forward to this thing? If there is anything positive I'm sure a lot of folks here are interested. Especially since we don't have any source except the one you deride. So if you, in all your wisdom know something good, share it why don't you?

All I know is what I heard from CES and what spills over here from other places. I have to work under the assumption that this box will come out (since they keep talking about it on the Charlie Chats) and that if it does do everything they talked about at CES I know I want one once all the bugs are worked out and it gets released.

I was just noting that some folks were certain the beta was over and that meant it was coming out soon... but those folks have gone silent again, which leads me to believe they didn't know as much as they thought they did... because surely we'd be hearing all the news if they did, right?

#38 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

We've had a Vip922 in our office now for about a week. Just got hooked up yesterday by our trainer. The internet functions are extremely nerfed right now but we have it and have been watching it in the mornings. I haven't had a chance to play around too much with it, but I'll be in the office this week with some time to spare so maybe then I'll get further into it.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to your information. A couple of questions. Does it still have the goofy touchpad, Wii trigger on the bottom, UHF only remote? Do you know of plans to allow IR remotes to work? Does the slingthing output HD? What aspect ration from the slinger? Well, that's more than a couple innit?:P

#39 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

All I know is what I heard from CES and what spills over here from other places. I have to work under the assumption that this box will come out (since they keep talking about it on the Charlie Chats) and that if it does do everything they talked about at CES I know I want one once all the bugs are worked out and it gets released.

I was just noting that some folks were certain the beta was over and that meant it was coming out soon... but those folks have gone silent again, which leads me to believe they didn't know as much as they thought they did... because surely we'd be hearing all the news if they did, right?

I agree. It will come out. With the bugs worked out? How many times has that happened? Dish is still releasing updated software for it. But then they do that with released machines, don't they?

All I know is some folks said they had been asked to fill out a final survey. Final kinda implies the end.

#40 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

I can remember running MS-DOS machines and not having to reboot for hours. Granted, it only ran one program at a time, but I cannot remember a computer running Windows....;)

Yeah, but by your own admission you're a geezer :P And my Showstoppers and ReplayTVs were closer to a computerator than a TV but I don't remember nearly as many problems as I've had with 625s and 622s. Plus the UI was a lot friendlier. But I try not to think about them now. May they RIP :lol:

spam firewall