Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Beta Ending?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,329 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Perhaps if there was something posted on an official 922 forum, I might lend some credence to it... but as I understand it, the forum being referenced is a self-described "unofficial" forum... so I'll just wait and see what info actually comes from Dish.

Based on the chat... it seems they might be aiming at Christmas (which makes sense), though Charlie didn't seem emphatically confident unless I'm misreading something in the summary.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

From James Long's Charlie Chat summary.
Looks like there was beta test and it looks like its over. And I think I'll wait several months, if at all, before I try that jewel. It'll be a true blue miracle if it's ready in 4 weeks. Of course that's based on the posts on the other site by the guys who weren't really in a beta test.

I think you are reading more into James summary here. The response says nothing but the Beta Test being over as I read it. What it does say is that the person missed the Beta test which could also mean he just missed the time to be considered. The post also gives no release date either. Just that it won't be ready before Nov 12th. Does not say how soon after the 12th it will be. Well at least that is how I read James recap.

As for waiting.. With a complicated device like this..Waiting for a couple of field updates is not a bad course of action to flush out the field found issues and to get feedback from the early adopters.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#28 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

I do agree Dish is still working on it. And I agree it will be brought out. I also believe the beta is over and they have a lot of feedback and a lot of problems to iron out. I also think Nov 12 is optimistic.

Yes, even Charlie admitted on the show that he has one that he's been "using" and it still has several "software and technical" problems...that it is a "complicated" device because of all the new technology that's being added.

Like everyone else has commented, I will wait for quite a while after it's released to customers before deciding on upgrading to a 922...:D
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#29 OFFLINE   SDiego

SDiego

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Sure is quite about this 922. I wonder if it will be available before xmas for us? I doubt it.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,329 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

Sure is quite about this 922. I wonder if it will be available before xmas for us? I doubt it.

Despite what some folks were drinking (Kool-aid??) it would seem that the beta isn't over and that the receiver isn't coming "soon".

That seems good to me... as I have high hopes based on what I've heard, and would like to see this receiver shine when it comes to market instead of being a complaint-fest like a couple of Dish receivers in the not-so-distant past.

:)

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#31 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

Despite what some folks were drinking (Kool-aid??) it would seem that the beta isn't over and that the receiver isn't coming "soon".

That seems good to me... as I have high hopes based on what I've heard, and would like to see this receiver shine when it comes to market instead of being a complaint-fest like a couple of Dish receivers in the not-so-distant past.

:)

Maybe the Beta that never was, according to several of your previous posts, isn't over and if not you know this how? And what have you heard and where have you heard it that makes you look forward to this thing? If there is anything positive I'm sure a lot of folks here are interested. Especially since we don't have any source except the one you deride. So if you, in all your wisdom know something good, share it why don't you?
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#32 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

The beta isn't over until the product comes out in production. Of course, there are going to be all sorts of problems in Beta and I wouldn't assume that those bugs will be in the production release. It could happen if they rush it to production to get it out before Christmas. It is probably best to wait several months after release before buying any new technology.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,452 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

Too bad Dish can't get the DVRs to the point that they are as easy to use as a TV.

When TV's include a comprehensive DVR feature set that is as easy to use as a TV without one, this may be a valid lament.

#34 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

When TV's include a comprehensive DVR feature set that is as easy to use as a TV without one, this may be a valid lament.

Actually that was a comment. Based on frustration. How many TVs or DVD players require nearly a dozen keystrokes to turn CC on or off? How many TV sets or DVD players have to be rebooted because of some problem? And I don't remember ever having to reboot my Panasonic Showstoppers or my ReplayTV. Granted, they were only one tuner but still...

#35 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

We've had a Vip922 in our office now for about a week. Just got hooked up yesterday by our trainer. The internet functions are extremely nerfed right now but we have it and have been watching it in the mornings. I haven't had a chance to play around too much with it, but I'll be in the office this week with some time to spare so maybe then I'll get further into it.
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,666 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

Actually that was a comment. Based on frustration. How many TVs or DVD players require nearly a dozen keystrokes to turn CC on or off? How many TV sets or DVD players have to be rebooted because of some problem? And I don't remember ever having to reboot my Panasonic Showstoppers or my ReplayTV. Granted, they were only one tuner but still...

On the other hand, the ViP DVR's are more comparable to your handy dandy super never glitching computer :rolleyes: from which you are posting then to a TV set or a DVD player.

I can remember running MS-DOS machines and not having to reboot for hours. Granted, it only ran one program at a time, but I cannot remember a computer running Windows....;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,329 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

Maybe the Beta that never was, according to several of your previous posts, isn't over and if not you know this how? And what have you heard and where have you heard it that makes you look forward to this thing? If there is anything positive I'm sure a lot of folks here are interested. Especially since we don't have any source except the one you deride. So if you, in all your wisdom know something good, share it why don't you?

All I know is what I heard from CES and what spills over here from other places. I have to work under the assumption that this box will come out (since they keep talking about it on the Charlie Chats) and that if it does do everything they talked about at CES I know I want one once all the bugs are worked out and it gets released.

I was just noting that some folks were certain the beta was over and that meant it was coming out soon... but those folks have gone silent again, which leads me to believe they didn't know as much as they thought they did... because surely we'd be hearing all the news if they did, right?

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#38 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

We've had a Vip922 in our office now for about a week. Just got hooked up yesterday by our trainer. The internet functions are extremely nerfed right now but we have it and have been watching it in the mornings. I haven't had a chance to play around too much with it, but I'll be in the office this week with some time to spare so maybe then I'll get further into it.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to your information. A couple of questions. Does it still have the goofy touchpad, Wii trigger on the bottom, UHF only remote? Do you know of plans to allow IR remotes to work? Does the slingthing output HD? What aspect ration from the slinger? Well, that's more than a couple innit?:P

#39 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

All I know is what I heard from CES and what spills over here from other places. I have to work under the assumption that this box will come out (since they keep talking about it on the Charlie Chats) and that if it does do everything they talked about at CES I know I want one once all the bugs are worked out and it gets released.

I was just noting that some folks were certain the beta was over and that meant it was coming out soon... but those folks have gone silent again, which leads me to believe they didn't know as much as they thought they did... because surely we'd be hearing all the news if they did, right?

I agree. It will come out. With the bugs worked out? How many times has that happened? Dish is still releasing updated software for it. But then they do that with released machines, don't they?

All I know is some folks said they had been asked to fill out a final survey. Final kinda implies the end.

#40 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

I can remember running MS-DOS machines and not having to reboot for hours. Granted, it only ran one program at a time, but I cannot remember a computer running Windows....;)

Yeah, but by your own admission you're a geezer :P And my Showstoppers and ReplayTVs were closer to a computerator than a TV but I don't remember nearly as many problems as I've had with 625s and 622s. Plus the UI was a lot friendlier. But I try not to think about them now. May they RIP :lol:

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,329 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

I agree. It will come out. With the bugs worked out? How many times has that happened? Dish is still releasing updated software for it. But then they do that with released machines, don't they?

I think, as others have noted, that "beta" for many products is an ongoing proposition where companies are always "beta" testing things before releasing updates/fixes for the life of a product. So it's probably safe to say that for any currently shipping Dish receiver, there's probably somebody (or more) somewhere in "beta" testing.

All I know is some folks said they had been asked to fill out a final survey. Final kinda implies the end.

I really only have 2 points of contention regarding some of the information that has been floated in other places...

1. Some of the information seems to be information of a type that historically has been confidential to testers/employees. To that end, we wouldn't discuss/allow it here even if someone has found a loophole that lets them share potentially confidential info.

2. Some rumors are being presented as irrefutable fact, even when later proven incorrect (sometimes even by the person who started the rumor in the first place)... which leads me to question everything, especially things posted on the internet.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#42 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

Did you sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) on this unit?
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#43 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

All I know is that it was just hooked up. I saw it in action for a minute before I had to go do my work...I didn't hear anything that said that I couldn't talk about it. But I'll try to find out as much as I can about this thing...
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#44 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

I'm still using a Panasonic Showstopper, and your memory must be obscured by time.

It is clunky and takes menu level after menu level to make corrections.

It takes it about 30 seconds to turn on, then it brings me up in a menu instead of on my channel for viewing.

If I hadn't picked it up for $2 at a garage sale, I definitely would not ever consider buying one, or using one.

I'll probably replace it with a 211 as soon as I can (would be my 5th leased tuner, so I may have to buy a 211 with R5000 added just for sport).

If the service adds a new channel that I do not sub to, it takes me 20 minutes to get into the system to remove it from the menus, a real pleasure to deal with, NOT!!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#45 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

I'm still using a Panasonic Showstopper, and your memory must be obscured by time.

Well, since it's been about 5 years or so at my age, that's quite possible. :lol: And actually we didn't use the Showstopper long until we got a real ReplayTV. But I do recall the UI was about the same. And I really don't recall it being really cludggie. I do remember we didn't watch live through it. We had Direct at the time and had those lil Sony boxes. The ReplayTV recorded what it was getting. I do recall the Showstopper being connected via a serial cable and it would change channels on the Sony Direct box. Then we got the Replay and had to go to an IR blaster.

So all in all, maybe my old tired brain is telling me what I want to remember, not what I should remember ;) And it has been 5 or 6 years.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,329 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

All I know is that it was just hooked up. I saw it in action for a minute before I had to go do my work...I didn't hear anything that said that I couldn't talk about it. But I'll try to find out as much as I can about this thing...

You might want to be very careful. As an employee, you are likely always under a non-disclosure agreement as a condition of employment.

I've worked for several computer companies (software and hardware) and while they didn't say "don't talk about this" to each device I saw being developed, I was under NDA by documents I signed when I was hired.

I'd hate to see anyone lose a job in this economy over a Web forum post.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#47 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

I agree completely. Please be sure you are clear to give us the details. If not, we can wait.

#48 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

10-4 on that. I'll find out. Chances are though, and I've talked with other techs at other offices is that they have all been shipped one 922 to learn the ins and outs of it before it will be released to the public. I might be able to answer simple questions, but I will find out more if I'm actually allowed to discuss much about it. So...we'll see what happens.

You might want to be very careful. As an employee, you are likely always under a non-disclosure agreement as a condition of employment.

I've worked for several computer companies (software and hardware) and while they didn't say "don't talk about this" to each device I saw being developed, I was under NDA by documents I signed when I was hired.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,190 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

I think, as others have noted, that "beta" for many products is an ongoing proposition where companies are always "beta" testing things before releasing updates/fixes for the life of a product. So it's probably safe to say that for any currently shipping Dish receiver, there's probably somebody (or more) somewhere in "beta" testing.

Agreed. Any receiver still getting software updates has a beta tester somewhere. Even discontinued receivers. Probably not many people testing them because there isn't a lot of development going on with a discontinued receiver, but there are system changes (new satellites, massive channel tables) that have caused problems for older receivers (as reported by users in our forums). That would be harder to test "live" (they could close circuit test huge channel tables). But until the receiver is completely out of service and off the network there will be someone filing official reports on it.

#50 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

Well,
Until Dish announces otherwise, the ViP922 is in Beta testing. Posts from people on this site and other sites that bought there ViP922's off of ebay for the testing should be ignored. Posts from users that aren't offical Dish Management should be treated with a HUGE grain of salt, on there assumptions on the Beta testing status.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...