Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Beta Ending?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

I agree. It will come out. With the bugs worked out? How many times has that happened? Dish is still releasing updated software for it. But then they do that with released machines, don't they?

I think, as others have noted, that "beta" for many products is an ongoing proposition where companies are always "beta" testing things before releasing updates/fixes for the life of a product. So it's probably safe to say that for any currently shipping Dish receiver, there's probably somebody (or more) somewhere in "beta" testing.

All I know is some folks said they had been asked to fill out a final survey. Final kinda implies the end.

I really only have 2 points of contention regarding some of the information that has been floated in other places...

1. Some of the information seems to be information of a type that historically has been confidential to testers/employees. To that end, we wouldn't discuss/allow it here even if someone has found a loophole that lets them share potentially confidential info.

2. Some rumors are being presented as irrefutable fact, even when later proven incorrect (sometimes even by the person who started the rumor in the first place)... which leads me to question everything, especially things posted on the internet.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

We've had a Vip922 in our office now for about a week. Just got hooked up yesterday by our trainer. The internet functions are extremely nerfed right now but we have it and have been watching it in the mornings. I haven't had a chance to play around too much with it, but I'll be in the office this week with some time to spare so maybe then I'll get further into it.

Did you sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) on this unit?
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#43 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

All I know is that it was just hooked up. I saw it in action for a minute before I had to go do my work...I didn't hear anything that said that I couldn't talk about it. But I'll try to find out as much as I can about this thing...
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#44 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

I'm still using a Panasonic Showstopper, and your memory must be obscured by time.

It is clunky and takes menu level after menu level to make corrections.

It takes it about 30 seconds to turn on, then it brings me up in a menu instead of on my channel for viewing.

If I hadn't picked it up for $2 at a garage sale, I definitely would not ever consider buying one, or using one.

I'll probably replace it with a 211 as soon as I can (would be my 5th leased tuner, so I may have to buy a 211 with R5000 added just for sport).

If the service adds a new channel that I do not sub to, it takes me 20 minutes to get into the system to remove it from the menus, a real pleasure to deal with, NOT!!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#45 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

I'm still using a Panasonic Showstopper, and your memory must be obscured by time.

Well, since it's been about 5 years or so at my age, that's quite possible. :lol: And actually we didn't use the Showstopper long until we got a real ReplayTV. But I do recall the UI was about the same. And I really don't recall it being really cludggie. I do remember we didn't watch live through it. We had Direct at the time and had those lil Sony boxes. The ReplayTV recorded what it was getting. I do recall the Showstopper being connected via a serial cable and it would change channels on the Sony Direct box. Then we got the Replay and had to go to an IR blaster.

So all in all, maybe my old tired brain is telling me what I want to remember, not what I should remember ;) And it has been 5 or 6 years.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

All I know is that it was just hooked up. I saw it in action for a minute before I had to go do my work...I didn't hear anything that said that I couldn't talk about it. But I'll try to find out as much as I can about this thing...

You might want to be very careful. As an employee, you are likely always under a non-disclosure agreement as a condition of employment.

I've worked for several computer companies (software and hardware) and while they didn't say "don't talk about this" to each device I saw being developed, I was under NDA by documents I signed when I was hired.

I'd hate to see anyone lose a job in this economy over a Web forum post.

#47 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

I agree completely. Please be sure you are clear to give us the details. If not, we can wait.

#48 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

10-4 on that. I'll find out. Chances are though, and I've talked with other techs at other offices is that they have all been shipped one 922 to learn the ins and outs of it before it will be released to the public. I might be able to answer simple questions, but I will find out more if I'm actually allowed to discuss much about it. So...we'll see what happens.

You might want to be very careful. As an employee, you are likely always under a non-disclosure agreement as a condition of employment.

I've worked for several computer companies (software and hardware) and while they didn't say "don't talk about this" to each device I saw being developed, I was under NDA by documents I signed when I was hired.

Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

I think, as others have noted, that "beta" for many products is an ongoing proposition where companies are always "beta" testing things before releasing updates/fixes for the life of a product. So it's probably safe to say that for any currently shipping Dish receiver, there's probably somebody (or more) somewhere in "beta" testing.

Agreed. Any receiver still getting software updates has a beta tester somewhere. Even discontinued receivers. Probably not many people testing them because there isn't a lot of development going on with a discontinued receiver, but there are system changes (new satellites, massive channel tables) that have caused problems for older receivers (as reported by users in our forums). That would be harder to test "live" (they could close circuit test huge channel tables). But until the receiver is completely out of service and off the network there will be someone filing official reports on it.

#50 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

Well,
Until Dish announces otherwise, the ViP922 is in Beta testing. Posts from people on this site and other sites that bought there ViP922's off of ebay for the testing should be ignored. Posts from users that aren't offical Dish Management should be treated with a HUGE grain of salt, on there assumptions on the Beta testing status.

#51 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

Well,
Until Dish announces otherwise, the ViP922 is in Beta testing. Posts from people on this site and other sites that bought there ViP922's off of ebay for the testing should be ignored. Posts from users that aren't offical Dish Management should be treated with a HUGE grain of salt, on there assumptions on the Beta testing status.

So GrumpyBear, are you official Dish Management? Or should we take your post with a HUGE grain of salt? Are you a self appointed semi-moderator that tells us which posts to read and which to ignore?

This is so much fun. See a pot. Pick up a stick. Stir thoroughly. See how many knickers get knotted.

#52 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

So GrumpyBear, are you official Dish Management? Or should we take your post with a HUGE grain of salt? Are you a self appointed semi-moderator that tells us which posts to read and which to ignore?

This is so much fun. See a pot. Pick up a stick. Stir thoroughly. See how many knickers get knotted.

Only knickers in a Knot are yours and people who try to convince us, that they are in the Beta program but signed no NDA, or they have a ViP922 and they bought if off of Ebay, and they expect people to believe them.
Pick your stick, stir all you want, becareful you don't wad your knickers to much, you might hurt yourself.
Until you see an offical DISH Network announcement, they rest of us will laugh and chuckle at people with thier wild posts about the subject. Just keep the wildness down, as I would hate to spill a good beer while I am laughing.

Quick Edit, this is what you are looking for.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Date goes here – DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), today issued the following statement

Edited by GrumpyBear, 02 November 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:08 AM

Let's try not to get personal. Maybe the next Tech Chat will have some official news for us so we can stop churning the rumor mill for a bit.

#54 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

So...I had a chance to get closer to the 922...it's not hooked up to the internet in our office (the internet is very dumbed down), the remote control is no where to be found (asked around but couldn't seem to find someone with an answer about it's whereabouts), and was basically told to not even think anything about the 922. Sure I could take some pictures for you, but you've seen better pictures from CES. Sorry I can't be of much help, if I can get a release date for you and maybe some training notes I might be able to pass it on, but for now I'm not much help. Deep apologies if I have got anyone really excited. But, I'm sure like everything else E* related, the 922 will be available "SOON". My prediction is that it will be available before xmas, since all of the offices around here already have a test model.

PS. I was told that the 922 is not very operational at this moment in time and that engineering is doing a software update a few times a week...so maybe they're doing their own beta testing (for once) :)

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

Can you check at list what size and model of hard drive it using ? ;)

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

PS. I was told that the 922 is not very operational at this moment in time and that engineering is doing a software update a few times a week...so maybe they're doing their own beta testing (for once) :)

While it's good to hear the boxes are out there, I really would not want to have to cope with installation in homes. In addition to the problems associated with a typical ViP install, you have to be able make it work with every configuration variation in home networks and ISPs. That just overwhelms my mind based on what I know the differences are within the homes in our family.;)

EDIT: Perhaps we'll learn more in the November 9th Tech Forum.

Edited by phrelin, 03 November 2009 - 04:43 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#57 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Regarding installations...

I wonder how much installers will be required to setup. Considering that the 922 comes with built-in Sling... Will installers be expected to test Sling and make sure that works before they leave a customer?

Internet features might otherwise be optional... but since the 922 will be sold/hyped for its Sling capabilities... I'm thinking that might put installers on the hook for making sure that works when they set one up.

#58 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

Regarding installations...

I wonder how much installers will be required to setup. Considering that the 922 comes with built-in Sling... Will installers be expected to test Sling and make sure that works before they leave a customer?

Internet features might otherwise be optional... but since the 922 will be sold/hyped for its Sling capabilities... I'm thinking that might put installers on the hook for making sure that works when they set one up.

We've had some "Homelink" equipment on our trucks for a couple of months, Wireless internet extensions, etc. We've also been supplied with Cat5 and I'm pretty sure that 922's will only be installed if connected to a broadband internet connection.

#59 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

...I'm pretty sure that 922's will only be installed if connected to a broadband internet connection.

Though not said anywhere that I can find, this makes 100% sense. It's not just a flagship receiver for Dish, but one that kinda isn't as cool without the broadband connection.

I don't know how they'll verify that for sure up front (to avoid truck rolls to places that don't have broadband after all)... but I'd think it to be a good idea to not install 922 at a place where it can't really be used.

Without broadband, the customer might as well get a 722K.

#60 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

I may be somewhat unusual as I have FiOS for internet and Dish for TV. My 622 is already connected to the router. It would be a simple matter to swap that out for a 922. I have been waiting and hoping for one. Might wait for the bugs to get worked out though.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

spam firewall