Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Beta Ending?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

I may be somewhat unusual as I have FiOS for internet and Dish for TV. My 622 is already connected to the router. It would be a simple matter to swap that out for a 922. I have been waiting and hoping for one. Might wait for the bugs to get worked out though.

I don't think you are that unusual at all. One of the things we have all forgetten in waiting for the ViP922, is EchoStar makes the ViP922 and wants to market the device to more than just Dish Network. Customers like you is just what EchoStar is targeting the ViP922 too.
You take off the Dish logo and just leave on the Echostar name, Cable, Fios, and other endusers wouldn't know, and could careless about who makes the ViP922, just that it has the features and supports thier provider of choice.
Benefit is Echostar market share will grow, and more marketshare is more money.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

Without broadband, the customer might as well get a 722K.

Maybe DISH can institute a $15 per month penalty for having a 922 and not connecting it to broadband (similar to the "phone line" fee)?

#63 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Maybe DISH can institute a $15 per month penalty for having a 922 and not connecting it to broadband (similar to the "phone line" fee)?

I believe that the guide is going to be mostly web-related...unless I'm mistaken. I'm really leaning towards the fact that if you want a 922, it must be connected to broadband or else you cannot even have it. It'll be interesting to tell. When we have a training module come through about it, I'll be sure to pass any of that information along.
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#64 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Or maybe just make a Broadband connection a requirement.
Do like Vonage does, and have a Broadband test prior to ordering one. Broadband test fails, you can't order a ViP922

Edited by GrumpyBear, 04 November 2009 - 07:01 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

I believe that the guide is going to be mostly web-related...unless I'm mistaken.

I've always figured the "standard" features will work like normal, but with the new GUI we saw at CES being more fancy...

I do remember mention of perhaps being able to search online for additional info about programs, beyond what is in the satellite-delivered EPG.... but I took that to mean the "standard" 9-day EPG data would be read the same way as other receivers since the data will be there.

It was unclear to me, though, if those channel icons on the GUI screenshots were coming from the satellite, pre-programmed into the 922, or coming via the broadband connection. I guess that's something we'll find out when the receiver releases.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#66 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

That could be like the old "HD-enabling" fee they used to have for the 622/722 if you didn't subscribe to an HD package. If people want a 922, but not broadband, they pay for the features they aren't able to use.:eek2:

#67 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

In the Tech Forum they let us know about the release of the 922 - wait until the next Charlie Chat.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#68 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

In the Tech Forum they let us know about the release of the 922 - wait until the next Charlie Chat.:sure:

Hmmm,
I thought the Beta test was ending? I guess all those post on other sites, were off base.
I am thinking/guessing/speculating, that the ViP922 will released after CES2010. Its right around the corner, they can show it off working completely at CES and use the fanfare as a selling tool. Plus right after CES 2010 is the yearly package/price changes.

Once again, the is all SPECULATION, on my part. Will continue to wait for something Offical from Dish though.

#69 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

Just based on logic, and how companies generally roll out products...

I don't think I've ever seen a technology product like this come out "just in time" for Christmas after November. Sometimes things like PS3 or XBox will come out late in November but have already been part of a big marketing push.

A product like this, and also with Dish's past history of low supply at initial product rollout... I'd be very surprised to see the 922 this year at this point. I think an announcement at CES and then perhaps a Feb/Mar release makes the most sense at this point.

Of course I have no info to go on... but based on the lack of official word and the date on the calendar, it just doesn't make sense at this point.

Also, figuring it will require a professional install like other new receivers have in the past.. there'd likely be a logjam of scheduling issues by December.

#70 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Also, figuring it will require a professional install like other new receivers have in the past.. there'd likely be a logjam of scheduling issues by December.

I haven't heard anything or thought about a it requiring a professional install. Why would it need to be professionally installed? Why did other receivers in the past need it?

Just curious.

Also I would imagine that would increase the price. Is it typical to have the professional install as an option that the customer could pass on?

#71 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

I haven't heard anything or thought about a it requiring a professional install. Why would it need to be professionally installed? Why did other receivers in the past need it?

Just curious.

Also I would imagine that would increase the price. Is it typical to have the professional install as an option that the customer could pass on?

And if you have had the experiences I've had with "subcontractors" which means guys who know next to nothing technical that arrive in their own old beater pickups and who ostensibly "work for" contractors....

Even the administrative office couldn't override the Dish Network computer to send me a ViP612 to replace a second DVR (SD 508) when I already had a ViP722. So the tech and I watched some TV and had soft drinks after I "installed" it. Nice guy and learned a lot from my A/V setup.

I wouldn't let one of these guys near my network setup.:eek2: :nono2:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#72 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Just curious.

Well, for a lot of customers getting a 622/722/722K has been by professional install only. Some of us have the "receiver only" option, but a lot of people have been required to have an installer bring the receiver and set it up.

I'm just hypothesizing based upon history... and taking an additional leap that the 922 not only has the same requirements as a 722K would in terms of satellite config... but additionally really needs broadband internet to function properly.

So I can see scenarios where a customer gets a 922 and self-installs, but doesn't have broadband or has broadband issues and then Dish has to send an installer out... or maybe the customer has broadband but not at the location where the receiver is to be installed.

I'm just thinking ahead... and while I'm not a betting man... if I were, I'd put money on a professional install requirement for 922 customers.

#73 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

I think I'm kinda glad that I might still be under a commitment for my 2 612s. The 922, as advertised, is what I want since it appears that the Draco project may never see the light of day. I honestly can't remember if I had a 1 or 2 year commitment when I went from my Dishplayer 7200 to my pair of 612s and a new Eastern Arc dish. If I have a year left, that would be perfect for letting them iron out the inevitable bugs in the 922.

#74 OFFLINE   SDiego

SDiego

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

This forum sure went quite. Last thing I heard last spring and summer, was supposed to be out this fall. I quess perhaps after CES in Vegas I bet.

#75 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

How much you wanna bet against later date ? ;)

#76 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

in charlie chat Charlie said Feb 2010 last nite (at the earliest my 2 cents) also seems they ditched the touchpad remote. New specs are available at one of the other dish fan sites.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...