Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baseball Tonight? Not A Snowball's chance....

sl5

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

The DH i would eliminate also.A lousy fielder has to play in the field,therefore pitchers should have to bat.I would also eliminate inter-league play.The majority of the match ups there is limited interest in.I am a Reds fan and this i had interest in seeing them play the Blue Jays.

Good points here;

1 Yes eliminate the DH, All pitchers should have to bat, maybe end some of the beanballing that goes on.

2 If they can't set up inter-league play so that all teams in a division play the same teams from the other league(for division races),eliminate inter-league play.

3 Yes bring back doubleheaders. They would have to be day-night doubleheaders because baseball doesn't want to lose any revenue from the gate(schedule doubleheaders during the summer when kids are out of school).Would have the season end maybe mid Sept. and have the World Series end no later than Oct.31(even before then ! ;))

4 For the World Series, maybe go to Sat.-Sun.-Tue.-Wed.-Thu.-Sat.-Sun. format. More viewership on weekends(maybe Sat. afternoon games-baseball would lose against the NFL on Sun.)

Just my .02 ;)

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

Also have the All-Star Game back the way it was. Home field in playoffs & World Series by best record. The other sports don't seem to have a problem with this. ;)

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

#23 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

Allow aluminum bats and lower the pitching mound. :lol:

Then the average 3 hour game would turn into a 4 hour game

#24 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

Taking your points in order...

1 - Means the death of baseball outside of major metro areas. One 16 and one 14-team league means teams are out of if by the 2nd week of April. Interest plummets and you go back to the days of the St. Louis Browns drawing 400 to a game.

2 - Eliminate 6 teams? Go back a couple of years and you would have had the twins and Rays as prime candidates (remember the Twins were openly talked about for 'contraction'). So there go the '08 AL Champs and the '09 AL central winners.

3 - Start all games at 8:05 EST? Yeah, the Dodger fans would love that. there ARE more timezones than Eastern.

4) They DID have "travel days" back in "the good old days".

Actually, I do prefer games starting at 5:00pm PT. I don't have to stay up after 10:00pm to finish watching a game and I can still catch my prime time programs.

#25 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

On the World Baseball Classic and Interleague Play: I believe baseball is out of the Olympics now, so do the WBC every 4 years opposite the summer olympics (I think they may already be on a similar schedule). For Interleague Play, either do it once every four year opposite WBC (and coinciding with summer olympics for added interest to MLB) or do it every other year, on the off years from Olympics and WBC.

#26 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

The six teams i would eliminate are,the Marlins,Rays,Nationals,Padres,Mariners and Royals.I did some research and compared the overall populated of the country with the attendance and found a higher percentage of the population attended the games in the "good ole days"then what they do now.Also during that era people of color weren't allowed too play MLB the majority of time,and therefore not many would attend games.

Did you factor in the number of other major sports teams or the success of those teams for each city? I.e., the Green Bay Packers are the only game in town, whereas you have the Marlins, Heat, Panthers and Dolphins competing for the Miami sports dollar.

So you would eliminate PROFITABLE teams? What's more, a little research says you'd knock off 4 World Champions, 3 League Champions, 12 Division Champions and a Wild Card (cumulative of those teams since 1976)

I mean, checking some attendance figures, the Expos were between 2nd and 4th in the league from 1977-1983. As the Nationals, you have a team in shables that still drew 23,000 per game this year.

The Marlins? Their attendance problems are the owners (fire sale your players and you won't draw squat) and the ballpark (which is being replaced).

The Rays? Average attendance up 6,000 from two years ago.

The Padres? They were doing well over 30,000 per game before this year's fire sale.

The Mariners? They're mid-pack in the AL with 27,000 per game.

The Royals? Ok, their glory years had them at or slightly under 30,000 per game. But they ARE up 3,000 per game this past year even with a worse record than 2008 and a worse economy - amazing what spending money on making the ballpark nicer can do.

Here's a gentle reminder of perspective. The 1990 Yankees averaged 21,589. In 1972 it was 12,000. Even during the Mantle/Maris chase of 1961 it was only 21,500 - and that was LONG after integration so you can't blame that.

Those same years for the Mets were 33,738 [1990], 27,361 [1972] and 11,532 in their inagural year of 1962 (since they weren't around in '61)

And my Red Sox? 1965 averaged barely over 8,000 per game. In 1990 the average was over 31,000 - almost 10,000 more than the Yankees that year in a ballpark with 2/3 the capacity.

The idea of contracting a team averaging 3 times more than "established" teams did in the years when those "established" teams had far less competition just seems wrong when you look at the historical perspective.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't the Twins make your list when they (and the Expos) were on MLB's own proposed contraction list not that many years ago?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sl5

spam firewall