Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Digital sub-channels

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mlyles

mlyles

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

D* has recently added WUNC (PBS) channel 33-1. Does this mean we'll be getting more sub-channels? Would be great to get one of our all-weather locals.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't channel 33-1 not be a sub-channel?
My thinking is that if you have 33-2 or 33-2 those would be the sub-channels.
Where I live, 3-1, 15-1, 21-1, 27-1, and 47-1 are the 5 networks (CBS, PBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX).
At least 4 have what I think of as sub-channels, like 3-2, 15-2, and 15-3.

#3 OFFLINE   mlyles

mlyles

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

33 is WUNC (PBS). 33-1 is also WUNC but it's PBS Kids.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,500 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

The digital channel must have a "-x" after it. According to Wiki ....

On September 25th, 2008, the over-the-air channel configuration became:
Sub-channel Programming
xx.1 main UNC-TV/PBS programming in HD
xx.2 UNC-KD (children's programming)
xx.3 UNC-NC (North Carolina-centric programming)[4]
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   skylab

skylab

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

In answer to the question, I hope its a resounding "no". We don't want to encourage any more of these picture degrading wastes of space.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

If DirecTV starts offering the sub channels, it doesn't necessarily mean a degrading of picture. The degrading is usually with the OTA version as there is only so much bandwidth per channel. Now if DirecTV is picking up the OTA channel, that's a whole different story.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

If DirecTV starts offering the sub channels, it doesn't necessarily mean a degrading of picture. The degrading is usually with the OTA version as there is only so much bandwidth per channel. Now if DirecTV is picking up the OTA channel, that's a whole different story.

While you're correct from an engineering point of view, in the larger scheme of things, yes, carrying them means downgrading the PQ of the main channel assignment. The only reason a station will and does do sub-channels is for revenue.

One of our local affiliates doesn't offer programming on one of it's sub-channels anymore, but only has the local time on it. Why would they ever do such thing one may ask, as it's taking bandwidth away from their HD channel? Because once the sub-channel goes black, the local cable companies don't have to carry it due to their contract. So basically, the affiliate is putting a clock on the sub-channel, in order not to lose the cable carriage.

Once Directv starts carrying the sub-channels, this gives them even more incentive. So, for the well being of the HD channel, you don't want Directv, or anyone for that matter, carrying the sub-channels.

EDIT: I'm 100% against sub-channels, and even the argument about having a local weather sub-channel doesn't hold water with me. We have two affiliates that have weather on sub-channels, but even during a time when someone needs to know about the weather (tornado warnings, flash-floods, etc), they still break into the main channel, either via crawls, OTS (over the shoulder), or flat out interrupt the programming. So, imo, what's the point of having a local weather sub-channel when you're going to interrupt the main programming anyway? All you're doing is ruining the HD picture.

Edited by taz291819, 11 October 2009 - 01:37 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

I want CLTV is not OTA but it is local and is wgn / tribune owned.

and they said / the GM to request it.

spam firewall