Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bye Bye Boston!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

Crapple-bomb to the rescue? NOT!!! Enjoy the view from your big screens, boys.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:53 PM

Papelbon is not the reason the Red Sox lost - and I haven't even seen the game.

The reason I say that is because it never should have been totally on his shoulders. Being a Sox fan for over 30 years, I can tell you what their problem was. Actually, it was two-fold. The problem names are Varitek and Ortiz.

Varitek's problems are well-known. He can't hit anymore and can't throw runners out. His one saving grace was that he called a fantastic game and tended to get the most out of pitchers because of his extreme research and preparation concerning opposing hitters. Well, now his defense is looking pretty shoddy. Too many passed balls in the games I watched.

Then there's Ortiz. This guy hasn't been the same since last year's wrist injury. People look through rose-colored glasses and say he 'only' didn't hit in the first two months and still managed 28 home runs. Well, a .238 average when you hit .190 for that first third of the season doesn't mean much of ANYthing. They put a shift on him and he INSISTED, time and time again to hit right into the teeth of that shift. He's NOT Ted Williams, who hit into and THROUGH the shift they put on him. Other hitters adjust and it seems that Ortiz just won't do it.

As I see the problems for the Sox next year:

Varitek - Helloooooo Victor Martinez. Get Jason's playbook and work on your arm. Otherwise, welcome to Boston and we hope you have a long stay.

Ortiz - We CAN find another DH.

Mike Lowell - I love this guy. But we need a "Plan B" for when we need him too much. Sure, he gets rest when Martinez is at first and Youkilis moves to 3rd - but that puts Varitek behind the plate. So we need either a backup catcher or a backup 3rd baseman to let Lowell DH more.

It would appear that our woes at SS are finally patched with Gonzalez.

The Red Sox are getting old in some places very fast. Fortunately we have guys like Pedroia and Ellsbury.

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

I thought it was funny that Boston was winning in the top of the 9th with 2 outs yet ended up losing. PoopyButt (as my wife calls Papelbon) is my hero.

Let's Go Yankees!
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:10 AM

PoopyButt (as my wife calls Papelbon) is my hero.

Let's Go Yankees!

One more piece of evidence as to the relativity of fan quality between Boston and New York. At least as far as baseball is concerned.

In Hockey, though, I've never heard Rangers fans doing the kinds of things my ex-wife was subjected to at the old Boston Garden.

#5 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

Papelbon is not the reason the Red Sox lost - and I haven't even seen the game.

The reason I say that is because it never should have been totally on his shoulders. Being a Sox fan for over 30 years, I can tell you what their problem was. Actually, it was two-fold. The problem names are Varitek and Ortiz.

Varitek's problems are well-known. He can't hit anymore and can't throw runners out. His one saving grace was that he called a fantastic game and tended to get the most out of pitchers because of his extreme research and preparation concerning opposing hitters. Well, now his defense is looking pretty shoddy. Too many passed balls in the games I watched.

Then there's Ortiz. This guy hasn't been the same since last year's wrist injury. People look through rose-colored glasses and say he 'only' didn't hit in the first two months and still managed 28 home runs. Well, a .238 average when you hit .190 for that first third of the season doesn't mean much of ANYthing. They put a shift on him and he INSISTED, time and time again to hit right into the teeth of that shift. He's NOT Ted Williams, who hit into and THROUGH the shift they put on him. Other hitters adjust and it seems that Ortiz just won't do it.

As I see the problems for the Sox next year:

Varitek - Helloooooo Victor Martinez. Get Jason's playbook and work on your arm. Otherwise, welcome to Boston and we hope you have a long stay.

Ortiz - We CAN find another DH.

Mike Lowell - I love this guy. But we need a "Plan B" for when we need him too much. Sure, he gets rest when Martinez is at first and Youkilis moves to 3rd - but that puts Varitek behind the plate. So we need either a backup catcher or a backup 3rd baseman to let Lowell DH more.

It would appear that our woes at SS are finally patched with Gonzalez.

The Red Sox are getting old in some places very fast. Fortunately we have guys like Pedroia and Ellsbury.

Another reason: not signing Mark Texeira this prior off-season. In hindsight he would have played first, Youkilis third, Lowell DH, and have Ortiz sit the bench. Problem solved!!

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

It's not like Boston didn't TRY to sign Texiera. He's definitely "the one that got away".

#7 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

It's not like Boston didn't TRY to sign Texiera. He's definitely "the one that got away".

Yeah, not their fault Steinbrenner had deeper pockets.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#8 OFFLINE   Steviek

Steviek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Papelbon is not the reason the Red Sox lost - and I

Maybe going back to those - ahem - "protein shakes" would help Big Poopie return to his old form. :rolleyes:

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

I think it's far more likely that his REAL problem is age-related. There aren't many people who believe he's 33 (allegedly turning 24 in November). Combine that with the fact that he hasn't been the same ever since that injury (maybe psychological - fear of re-injury) and you have someone that you can't call a lineup cornerstone.

#10 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

I think it's far more likely that his REAL problem is age-related. There aren't many people who believe he's 33 (allegedly turning 24 in November). Combine that with the fact that he hasn't been the same ever since that injury (maybe psychological - fear of re-injury) and you have someone that you can't call a lineup cornerstone.

And he doesn't have Manny hitting behind him, cmon honestly who would you rather face Manny or whoever was batting four for the Sox this year.

That stupid thing Youkilis (sp) does before every swing is ANNOYING. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Yankees in 6.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

Maybe going back to those - ahem - "protein shakes" would help Big Poopie return to his old form. :rolleyes:

That's funny because my wife also calls Ortiz "Big Poopie".
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall