Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to determine my contractual commitment

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larryl

larryl

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

Is there a way to determine my contractual commitment by looking at directv.com? I want to know if I can cancel without paying an early termination penalty.

Fourteen years is probably long enough anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

Is there a way to determine my contractual commitment by looking at directv.com? I want to know if I can cancel without paying an early termination penalty.

You have to call them. If you haven't purchased/leased a new receiver in the past two years you shouldn't have a commitment.

#3 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:33 AM

Is there a way to determine my contractual commitment by looking at directv.com?

No, that would make to much sense.....

#4 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:56 AM

14 years means nothing if you installed a new receiver within the last 2 years. :)

#5 OFFLINE   larryl

larryl

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

14 years means nothing if you installed a new receiver within the last 2 years. :)

Yeah, well, when you refer your 82-year-old parents as new DirecTV customers and provide them with your account number so that you can both get the $100 referral bonus and the sales person forgets to enter it into the system when the order is made, 14 years should mean something. The answer should not be that there is nothing they can do, especially when the call begins with "I see that you're a long-time loyal customer."

So retention will get a chance to kiss my butt, and it'll cost them more than $200 to keep me around.

#6 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Cancelling is one thing (which was the topic of your OP), looking for some freebies is another. If you cancel and your under a committment the only way out of it is to send them an envelope with your ashes in it. :)

Yeah, well, when you refer your 82-year-old parents as new DirecTV customers and provide them with your account number so that you can both get the $100 referral bonus and the sales person forgets to enter it into the system when the order is made, 14 years should mean something. The answer should not be that there is nothing they can do, especially when the call begins with "I see that you're a long-time loyal customer."

So retention will get a chance to kiss my butt, and it'll cost them more than $200 to keep me around.

#7 OFFLINE   larryl

larryl

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

Understood. Cancelling is the objective, not freebies. I'm just saying they can still make it right by fixing the problem.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

Did you have your parents call the special referral number when they went to get setup? If not there is nothing they will do nor should they....if they did actually call the referral number and it was missed then they should make it right.

#9 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Use a wigi board just don't burn it when your done.

#10 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

You can also ask via email. If you're like me, any account activity at all seems to extend your commitment indefinitely. I made the mistake of having a defective receiver replaced, which extended my commitment, although it's illegal for them to do so (violation of agreement).

I've also referred several people and never seen a dime. They always claim somebody (besides them) didn't do something right, even though I know for a fact every i was dotted and every t was crossed.

I'm dumping them as soon as I possibly can.

Edited by mdavej, 12 October 2009 - 02:48 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   larryl

larryl

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Did you have your parents call the special referral number when they went to get setup?

That's the number I gave them to use. Like teenagers, however, 80-year-olds often end up other than where they were pointed. I won't swear that's where they made the order because I wasn't physically present when he made the call.

Interestingly, when I called the referral number to see why it hadn't worked properly I ended up in the regular customer service queue. If it rolls over to CS when they're too busy then God only knows which sales queue entered the order.

Regardless, if the sales person that took the order couldn't do the referral then s/he should have made the sale, because this was explicitly mentioned at the beginning of the call.

#12 OFFLINE   larryl

larryl

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

If you're like me, any account activity at all seems to extend your commitment indefinitely. I made the mistake of having a defective receiver replaced, which extended my commitment, although it's illegal for them to do so (violation of agreement).

I hope that's not the case. The last receiver I bought was in 2006 but 3 of the 4 have been replaced under the protection plan within the last two years.

#13 OFFLINE   cgking114

cgking114

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

I hope that's not the case. The last receiver I bought was in 2006 but 3 of the 4 have been replaced under the protection plan within the last two years.

Then I can almost guarantee they have erroneously extended your agreement. I have been trying to get my account fixed for 3 weeks now and it still isn't fixed. I like Directv, but this is something that needs to be fixed right away.

Edited by cgking114, 12 October 2009 - 03:46 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...