Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Huntsville, AL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

DMA: Huntsville, AL
Established: 9/23/2009

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

This is only occuring on HR20-100. No picture, no audio when first tune to WAAY-HD. Screen is completely gray. If I rewind, or pause, and then forward on dvr, HD picture & audio appears. If I leave channel and tune back, same problem. RBR makes no difference. Only on WAAY-HD (ABC). I have three other HR20-700 dvrs and this is not a problem on any channels.

Any ideas?

Edited by hidefman, 03 November 2009 - 01:47 PM.

5 LNB AU9 Slimline, SWM16, 1 - HR34, 2 - HR21-700, 2 - HR20-700, 1 - HR20-100, 1 H21, Networked cat 5, CE.

#3 OFFLINE   kevinh

kevinh

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

This is only occuring on HR20-100. No picture, no audio when first tune to WAAY-HD. Screen is completely gray. If I rewind, or pause, and then forward on dvr, HD picture & audio appears. If I leave channel and tune back, same problem. RBR makes no difference. Only on WAAY-HD (ABC). I have three other HR20-700 dvrs and this is not a problem on any channels.

Any ideas?

Channels: 31 and 54
Experienced Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2009, 10 p.m.
Description:
I have this EXACT same problem with 31 and 54, the HD channels, not the SD ones, on a HR20-100. This is sounding like a hardware problem - but maybe exposed because 31 and 54 are not broadcasting in 1080 ?

I had no problems with my older Phillips HD (tube) tv. Just replaced with a Vizio LCD 1080p, using same HDMI cable, and I immediately started having this problem. I find no other channels, local or not, that do this.

I found the same work-around (actually found it by using the new swap function which works too since it is buffering), rewind until a picture then ffwd back to live TV and it works, until I change the channel to a channel with higher resolution. Then if I return to 31 or 54 I have to do the work-around again.

I tried disabling every resolution, just selecting one, and worked through the whole list, and nothing helped.
I do notice 31 and 54 are the only locals showing on my Vizio as a 720p source, the others show 1080i (even when I set the DTV box to 1080p only.)

I knew something was strange when I had a blank screen on 31, reset the box, and when it rebooted I had a picture, until I changed the channel and came back. Had DirecTV on the phone when that happened and they still said it must be the local channels not broadcasting their HD signal at the moment.

Equipment: HR20-100, Vizio VL370M, HDMI cable

#4 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

Okay, quick reply. My problem has been resolved. I do not use HDMI, I use component cables, so I don't think that is at issue. I resolved it to be my SWiM 8 connection. It is critically sensitive to start-up configuration. When I restarted everything, I also disconnected coax cables for a few minutes as a complete reset. Then I brought up the SWiM8, then each receiver one at a time, including the suspect HR20-100. Problem solved. I think in doing so I in effect released any config settings that were messed up each time I only reset the receiver. Obviously, if you are not using the SWiM8, it may be different for you, but it is worth disconnecting everything (including cables for a few minutes) to see what happens. Worked for me!.... Just let us know.
5 LNB AU9 Slimline, SWM16, 1 - HR34, 2 - HR21-700, 2 - HR20-700, 1 - HR20-100, 1 H21, Networked cat 5, CE.

#5 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

RATS! The ugly problem has re-appeared. Just when I thought I had this thing solved, HD 31 and now also HD 54 have gone back to blank when I tune with my HR20-100. Only on this model.... and when I rewind and then forward the video and audio (including what has been buffered) is all there. Moved from SWiM setup back to my WB616 multiswitch. Symptoms are the same in either configuration. My suspicions of hardware failure are now rising.... RATS!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...