Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Charlie Chat Summary - October 12th, 2009

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

The Charlie Chat Summary - October 12th, 2009

Charlie Chat Hosted by
Charlie Ergen – CEO and Chairman
Jim DeFranco – Executive Vice President

Tonight's Show
NFL Red Zone ... Scott Hanson
NBA All Star Steve Smith
Carrie Underwood Concert
Dora Contest
The Naughty Chef
The Northern Way

Outdoor "Tailgate" Party ... (Charlie looks cold and awkward)
Live audience

NFL Red Zone channel
(Video interview with Scott Hanson ... a nice behinds the scenes look)
6 1/2 hours ... one bathroom break
John Elway promotes the channel ... on many local stations.
Channel 155, Commercial Free, HD or SD for $5.99/month or $49.99/year (Multi Sport Package)
(Package also includes NHL Network, NFL Network and all available regional sports networks.)

Steve Gottsegen talks sports ...
ESPN Game Plan ($135 or 3 payments of $45 - Individual weeks for $24 per week)

NBA League Pass (4 payments of $41.99 if ordered before November 4th)
NBATV in Silver ... League Pass free preview Oct 27th-Nov 3rd

ESPN Full Court ($10 off normal price until Nov 29th - only $104 or 4 x $26)

NHL Center Ice w/NHL Network (4 payments of $40.95 until Oct 31st)

http://www.dishnetwork.com/sports to order

Free Previews
CBS College Sports (152) - Until Oct 14th
NBA TV (402) - Until Nov 3rd
NBA League Pass - Oct 27 to Nov 3rd
Versus (151) - Until Nov 30 (Normally in Gold)

Trivia: What team has won the most NBA championships? And how many have they won?
Prize: Two tickets to an NBA game near the winner.

NBA TV
Steve Smith ... All Star player now working for NBA TV

Nimiq 5 launch (shown as a silly drop in advert for the NFL Red Zone)
HD Locals in 152 markets, 93% of US TV Households (181 SD markets)

Questions
Rick: I'd like to see all DVRs have remote access.
A: Go to SLING.COM on the ViP receivers ... working on the 625 later this fall.

Bill: Local channels ... I want a closer station across the state line.
A: (Description of market areas) Law restricts carriage to local channels only.
Congress is looking at it and will make decisions in late October or November.

Doel: ViP-222k ... wants an external USB drive. When?
A: Available on the 211. Next year?

Bill: When will the ViP-922 be released? (Late summer??? Can I beta test???)
A: You missed your chance for beta tester. Taking longer than expected. Not before Nov 12th.

Jay: Why do I need a phone line?
A: Only need it for PPV events. We also use it for diagnostics. Broadband is an option on new recievers.
(Credit for having a phone line connected.)

Elizabeth: What new rates and packages can DISH Network offer to existing customers?
(How do we determine packages?)
A: We want to offer what you want and not sell you what you don't want. The industry doesn't allow it. We package in "good, better, best" levels to try to keep costs down.

Smaller Markets ...
181 markets covered in SD, 28 markets left. They COULD be covered but it is not economical without providing out of market signals to fill in missing networks.
Interviews in St Joseph MO. Pushing for out of market channels from Kansas City. (Silly video.)

Exclusive: CMT Front Row
November: Carrie Underwood

Tonight's Trivia Winner: DJ Jenkins of Tuscon AZ (Boston Celtics, 17 championships)

Dora Contest
Voice a character ... exclusive to DISH Network customers.
Enter at http://www.DISHandDora.com/

The Naughty Chef
Channel 127 Oxygen - Tuesday 10pm ET

The Northern Way
Local colorado band ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the recap, James... doesn't sound like I missed much (unless the band was good).

Disappointing to see no mention of any new HD national channels... especially with all the emphasis on sports, and they don't even touch the possibility of ESPNUHD.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

I don't expect Dish will add much new HD until after Direct gets their next satellite up. That is just an opinion. If Direct starts to add new HD then Dish will feel the pressure.

#4 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

Was busy tonight so the recap was appreciated, as always, James.

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

#5 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for the recap. I wasn't expecting any groundbreaking news. I wasn't disappointed.

#6 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:57 AM

Charlie did say that the Tech Forum next month would have more info on other HD channels and more accurate data about when the 922 would be available ("definitely available for Christmas")...
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#7 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

Re the phone line, I wonder what kinds of "diagnostics" they do over a phone line. I don't do PPV. Seems fishy to me...
Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#8 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

Was i hearing things or did Charlie say that they dont charge for locals?

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Locals are now 'included' in the base price but you can opt out and get that $5 back.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,417 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

Charlie did say that the Tech Forum next month would have more info on other HD channels and more accurate data about when the 922 would be available ("definitely available for Christmas")...

I'll be curious to see if they talk about national HD at the tech forum.

You can either give your worst enemy a paperweight or a 922 for Christmas. Both will work for a paperweight, but its very clear a 922 will likely frustrate him/her to death.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Re the phone line, I wonder what kinds of "diagnostics" they do over a phone line. I don't do PPV. Seems fishy to me...

Look for STB Health here http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=stb health

#12 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the recap, James... doesn't sound like I missed much (unless the band was good).

Disappointing to see no mention of any new HD national channels... especially with all the emphasis on sports, and they don't even touch the possibility of ESPNUHD.

You missed a big commercial for sports packages.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#13 OFFLINE   randyb19

randyb19

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

I was hoping to hear that BBC America HD would be rolling out soon.

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

Which is why I stopped watching them. That and I got tired of hearing 'HD' and 'Locals' uttered 80 times a minute or so.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#15 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

You got that right. I remember when Charlie chats were interesting.

#16 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

Locals are now 'included' in the base price but you can opt out and get that $5 back.

I think what Charlie was trying to say as he blew by this subject was there is no charge for "HD locals" if your package gets SD locals...:rolleyes:
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#17 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

Sounds like nothing unexpected was revealed. Thanks for posting the summary.

#18 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the recap James.

I'll be curious to see if they talk about national HD at the tech forum.

You can either give your worst enemy a paperweight or a 922 for Christmas. Both will work for a paperweight, but its very clear a 922 will likely frustrate him/her to death.

When that thing is released the 922 forum should be fun to read. I'll use it to gauge if and when I want one.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#19 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

Dish will not tell you this but they make a lot of $$$ by providing data on viewing habits of customers to rating companies like Nielsen...the data collected includes what TV shows are watched including which ones are DVR'ed.

The only way user viewing data can be collected by Dish is via a phone line or internet connection...

So there are other very important reasons why Dish wants customers to have a phone line or internet connected to their receivers...and they are willing to give a $5 credit to those that do...another way of saying we charge $5 if you don't connect a phone line or internet...IMHO..:rolleyes:

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

Or so the rumor goes.

There are some diagnostic things going on ... watching signal strengths and LNB drift and reporting that if it gets out of line. It is also a good way of seeing if their signal is actually reaching customers in millions of test locations. I believe a report is generated when there is a problem with the receiver (reboot/crash type thing).

The reasonably new "trigger" ads that lead to applications that use the phone line to sign you up for literature is another use of the phone/ethernet. That is all opt in by the customer ... you won't get a mailing simply because you watched a channel. You have to request more information in the application.

DISH can better serve you if a line (phone or ethernet) is connected. Having data on how well your receiver is working helps them if you call about a problem and helps track problems across the installed user base (even without your complaint). Not having that raw data means that they have to spend more time figuring out where the problem is. You're saving DISH money when that line is connected ... it is nice that there is some sort of "reward" for that (even if it is just a "lack of penalty").

And yes, people are more likely to buy PPVs and other stuff when all they have to do is click on a couple of menus. Not everyone lives a mile from a 24hr RedBox location or wants to use Netflix or other rental schemes. People are impulsive. (At least those who do not have all of the PPV channels locked and hidden are.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...