Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dancing With The Stars Season 9 Week 4: OAD 10/12/09

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should leave Dancing With The Stars this week? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should leave Dancing With The Stars this week?

1. Aaron Carter and Karina Smirnoff (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Natalie Coughlin and Alec Mazo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Mark Dacascos and Lacey Schwimmer (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Melissa Joan Hart and Mark Ballas (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Michael Irvin and Anna Demidova (4 votes [36.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

6. Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Chuck Liddell and Anna Trebunskaya (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

8. Mýa and Dmitry Chaplin (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Louie Vito and Chelsie Hightower (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

If this were the first week of the season, friends, I'd be crowing about the quality. I'd be saying that the music was snappy, the choice of dances was great for beginning ballroom dancers, and the pace was "just right." There was even a nice mix of packages with old contestants to bring people up to speed.

This is week 4. We're a month in. This is the first episode that didn't feel incredibly rushed, and in fact this is the first time the opening titles ran on a performance night.

Tonight's winners:

It's a pleasure to see Ms. Hart finally having some fun on the dance floor. The Charleston was a great dance for her, and although I thought it lacked some of the basic Charleston elements, it had great attitude and very decent execution. My only question... who else thought Mr. Ballas looked like one of the Super Mario Bros.? The judges just loved it: 9/9/10.

Ms. Coughlin and Mr. Mazo may not have started strong, but her competitive spirit and infectious smile, matched with his smoldering good looks, are proving to be a winning combination. Their bolero was smooth and suave, very well executed. I felt the judges' score of 8/8/8 was too low, perhaps insurance against her peaking too early.

I'm pleased to see Ms. Osbourne continue to grow. Her Charleston had much better choreography than Ms. Hart's, thanks to the excellent Mr. van Amstel. She may have been a bit too precise and not zany enough, but I do think the judges were a little too harsh with an 8/7/8.

I was pleased to see Ms. Krupa do well at the Lambada, but it's a tough dance to get excited about (unless you're watching Mýa, see below) and I found it a little choppy. And yes, Mr. Hough, your job is one of the better ones to have. The judges overreacted a bit with a 9/8/9.

Mr. Osmond and Ms. Johnson were predictably great at the Charleston, yet the judges felt that 8/8/8 was the way to go. For a dancer in his 50s and a high-energy dance, I think they should have gone higher than that. Perhaps they view Mr. Osmond as a real contender, not just stunt casting.

Finally, and predictably, the night belonged to Mýa and Mr. Chaplin, who almost managed to make the Lambada look like a proper ballroom dance. It was fun, it was energetic, it was sexy, and it deserved the 10/8/10 as much as any amateur ever deserves a score that good.

As for the other dancers, I congratulate them for their effort and dedication. I see some potential for Mr. Carter or Mr. Dacascos to rise back into contention in the coming weeks.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 13 October 2009 - 01:23 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

Nice review Stuart. I have Chuck leaving tonight, but that's just my guess.

Who was that character Johnny Carson used to play - you know, the sleezy one with the stash? That's who Ballas reminds me of. :lol:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#3 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

Mr Vito or Mr Irvin should be leaving. If Miss Coughlin makes it to the later rounds, I would like her to choose the Lambda as one of her unlearned dances.

#4 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

We thought that the scores for Joanna Krupa were a little high, then Mya came out and made it super clear that they were.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

Chuck was a good choice to leave. I don't think it was Aaron's turn to go, or Louie's for that matter - although Louie deserves to go before Aaron.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Well, either way, we have our final 10. This is about where the season should have started. There are still some obvious choices for elimination and we're finally beginning to see a hint that some of these folks can learn to dance.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Well, either way, we have our final 10. This is about where the season should have started. There are still some obvious choices for elimination and we're finally beginning to see a hint that some of these folks can learn to dance.

Yeah, I agree. Too many people makes it hard to keep them straight. Eight would be better, but ten will do.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

spam firewall