Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Paramount preps for Jack Ryan reboot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

From Variety:

Paramount Pictures confirms that it has begun negotiations with Chris Pine to play CIA analyst Jack Ryan in the reboot of the franchise based on the Tom Clancy novels.

http://weblogs.varie...ryan-role-.html

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

I'm sure he'll be better at it than Ben Affleck was.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

I'm sure he'll be better at it than Ben Affleck was.

You aren't setting the bar very high... :lol:

#4 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

Why does it need to be a "re-boot"? There's plenty of material that hasn't been used yet.....and just changing the actor that plays the main character shoudn't count...I mean, how many Bond's did we have before Craig?

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Also, one article I read stated that the screenplay is NOT from a Tom Clancy novel. Methinks I will pass.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Why does it need to be a "re-boot"? There's plenty of material that hasn't been used yet.....and just changing the actor that plays the main character shoudn't count...I mean, how many Bond's did we have before Craig?

When Daniel Craig came onboard the Bond franchise was re-booted. Why not re-boot the series with Mr Pine as Jack Ryan? Alec Baldwin did fine in Red October and the only problem Mr Ford had to deal with in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger was that the scripts were nowhere near close to how the books were done. Ben Affleck just didn't strike me as Jack Ryan at all, not to mention that The Sum of All Fears was a horribly written movie; and if I remember it correctly the writers were trying to use it to introduce us to the early Jack Ryan, when in the book he had been back in the fold for a good many years correct?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#7 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

I have always had a problem with the Jack Ryan franchise.

In order to take any of Clancy's Jack Ryan novels to the screen in a 2 hour or less format means only one thing... a Butcher Job on the story.

Tom Clancy's novels would be better suited to an old style miniseries format, at least there would be some chance of doing the book's justice. The movies so far were ok, better if you had never read the books...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

"... Chris Pine to play CIA analyst Jack Ryan in the reboot of the franchise ..."

Can we start calling him "Reboot" Pine now, or do we need to wait for him to be tapped to step into a third movie franchise for that? :D
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#9 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

:lol:

I think we can give him the nickname now. :grin:

"... Chris Pine to play CIA analyst Jack Ryan in the reboot of the franchise ..."

Can we start calling him "Reboot" Pine now, or do we need to wait for him to be tapped to step into a third movie franchise for that? :D

Steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...