Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Reality Channel to Cease Operations

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Fox Reality Channel to Cease Operations

Source: Broadcast and Cable

News Corp's Fox Reality Channel will cease operations on March 31, 2010 and be replaced by a new venture from the Fox Cable Networks group, a company spokesman confirmed.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for posting in the "TV" forum where the topic belongs.

Too bad FOXR can't find enough viewers for their reality crap -- why can't just FOX draw the overflow from the idiot 'wrasslin' crowd? :rolleyes:

Edited by Nick, 15 October 2009 - 05:39 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm hoping this will lead to many of the other so-called "reality shows" being canceled.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Reality show are here to stay .. regurgitated reality isn't as exciting because the people that care have already seen it .. why watch again? :shrug:

Certainly there will be a saturation level that will be reached, but as a genre, it's not going away.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, reality works best on OTA channels, most likely.

I'm thinking that News Corp really needs a kids channel. Disney has ABC Family and Disney and Disney XD. Viacom has Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Teen Nick. NBC Universal has qubo.

#6 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

I preferred the former incarnation of "Reality TV", more international, no game shows.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for posting in the "TV" forum where the topic belongs.

Too bad FOXR can't find enough viewers for their reality crap -- why can't just FOX draw the overflow from the idiot 'wrasslin' crowd? :rolleyes:

There are some good reality shows such as America's Got Talent. And the ratings show it is watched by millions. And this reality show gives people opportunities that they might otherwise never have. It even created a lucrative career for Terry Fator at the Mirage in Vegas.

So are your goals to stir up controversy and find posts that are inadvertently posted in the wrong forum?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,936 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

So, which shopping channel will we put on instead of this channel?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

I'm thinking that News Corp really needs a kids channel. Disney has ABC Family and Disney and Disney XD. Viacom has Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Teen Nick. NBC Universal has qubo.

Hmmm. Fox cable for kids. FX kids. "The Shield, Jr." R-rated entertainment for your 8-year-old.:grin:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

I'm thinking that News Corp really needs a kids channel.

Would probably require a big investment if they wanted to go that way. Fox Reality Channel was relatively cheap because they already had a fair amount of reality programming in their library. I don't think they have much, if any, children's television programming in their library. (The kids' programming that's run on the main Fox network on weekday afternoons/Saturday mornings over the years has either come from outside providers such as Warner Bros. or 4Kids Entertainment, or it came from providers like Saban that were owned by Fox at the time, but were sold off to Disney as part of the same deal that turned the Fox Family Channel into what's now ABC Family.)

As far as I know, they don't even have any classic cartoons they can run -- back in the Golden Age of Cinema, 20th Century Fox was the theatrical distributor for Terrytoons cartoons (Heckle and Jeckle, et al.), but those are now owned by CBS. They do have some full-length kids' movies (cartoons and live-action), but probably not enough to serve as the core of a channel.

Edited by trainman, 15 October 2009 - 10:56 AM.
Clarifying Saban and Fox Family/ABC Family situation

trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#11 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

How about a scifi channel? I sure miss the one that went away in July! :D

#12 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Sure: Maybe they could put that space-based soap opera on it. :P

#13 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, reality works best on OTA channels, most likely.

Remember, Fox already bailed on the Family Channel. They sold it to Disney all those years ago.

They could try getting into the ESPN market with a national Fox Sports channel.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#14 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Damn no more Paradise Hotel reruns.:nono2:

#15 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:41 PM

According to Variety,National Geographic Wild will be the replacement channel and launch next spring in the U.S.

http://www.variety.c...oryid=1043&cs=1

Steve

#16 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:56 PM

Just about to watch "Road Wars" from the U.K.

Shows you really can't get elsewhere.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#17 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

I hope Fox does something with The Academy, I loved that show.

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

Would probably require a big investment if they wanted to go that way. Fox Reality Channel was relatively cheap because they already had a fair amount of reality programming in their library. I don't think they have much, if any, children's television programming in their library. (The kids' programming that's run on the main Fox network on weekday afternoons/Saturday mornings over the years has either come from outside providers such as Warner Bros. or 4Kids Entertainment, or it came from providers like Saban that were owned by Fox at the time, but were sold off to Disney as part of the same deal that turned the Fox Family Channel into what's now ABC Family.)

As far as I know, they don't even have any classic cartoons they can run -- back in the Golden Age of Cinema, 20th Century Fox was the theatrical distributor for Terrytoons cartoons (Heckle and Jeckle, et al.), but those are now owned by CBS. They do have some full-length kids' movies (cartoons and live-action), but probably not enough to serve as the core of a channel.

They're going to meld National Geo Channel & reality into one.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:08 PM

The NY Times article notes that the new channel will be made available in HD and VOD forms.

Sounds like a good candidate for D12. :)

Interestingly, the president of Fox Cable Networks said the network was making money, but the new channel should make more.

It sounds to me like it'll be cannibalizing viewers from the main Nat Geo channel and having to compete against the popular Discovery network, Animal Planet.

#20 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

I hope Fox does something with The Academy, I loved that show.

I love that show as well. I seen all the first season and have all of the second season on my DVR.

There is going to be a Third Season starting October 24 (Time: TBD), BUT it will be about the Orange County FIRE DEPARTMENT Academy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...