Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV 3rd Quarter Conference Call scheduled

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

First time ever, more new customers sign up for HD DVRs then just HD or DVR service.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Strict retention policies. This may result in higher churn but is a good trade off to get rid of those customers that are always calling in for deals and money off.

#23 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

SAC still went down due to using refurbs and costs of new boxes going down despite record demand for the HD DVRs.

#24 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Latin America stuff now.

#25 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

Key nearterm goals.

Streaming NFL games to cell phones is much more popular then they thought.
TV Apps has also been popular.

New services coming out:
1) NEW whole home MRV and networked DVRs coming out in a few months that have new hardware and media built in.
2) NEW advanced search engine coming soon to be more like a PC including DVD cover art
3) NEW movie service which will piggy back on the new satellite. [He talked a bit more but I missed it. This might be the "Netflix type" service that was talked about in the last couple calls.]
4) New Sat will also increase capacity to over 200 HD channels

#26 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

Questions.

Q: What do all these new advanced boxes, how will that effect SAC (amazing it's kept so low so far).

A: There will be a bit more commitment into products into the home so it will put upward pressure a bit but also opportunity for revenue such as installation costs.

#27 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Q: Ongoing ARPU bump with these new boxes?

A: Looks to be a monthly charge for whole home MRV viewing so that will be ongoing revenue. Also those connected to broadband tend to buy more services.

#28 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Streaming NFL games to cell phones is much more popular then they thought.

Mobile views of NFLST this year is double the PC views of NFLST last year.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

Q: Ongoing ARPU bump with these new boxes?

A: Looks to be a monthly charge for whole home MRV viewing so that will be ongoing revenue. Also those connected to broadband tend to buy more services.

Here's a potential area of concern...hmmm...unless they're talking about installs and equipment only....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#30 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

Q: How are they able to buck the trend in programming expenses.

A: Some of it is because premiums don't have as much uptake but a lot of it is in good negotiations. But a lot of it is that we are still growing while others are flat or losing subs. Also a lot of costs that others are running into now DirecTV already went thru the past few years.

No big retrans agreements coming up until after 2010.

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

Q: How are they able to buck the trend in programming expenses.

A: Some of it is because premiums don't have as much uptake but a lot of it is in good negotiations. But a lot of it is that we are still growing while others are flat or losing subs. Also a lot of costs that others are running into now DirecTV already went thru the past few years.

No big retrans agreements coming up until after 2010.

That's good news!

#32 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

Here's a potential area of concern...hmmm...unless they're talking about installs and equipment only....

He pretty much said that there would be a monthly charge for MRV (paraphrasing). My guess is maybe like the DVR fee? There were no other details, no prices listed and no followup question on it. It was just a quick "yea we're looking at monthly fees for the mutli room whole home DVR thing that will offset some of the costs to SAC".

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

He pretty much said that there would be a monthly charge for MRV (paraphrasing). My guess is maybe like the DVR fee? There were no other details, no prices listed and no followup question on it. It was just a quick "yea we're looking at monthly fees for the mutli room whole home DVR thing that will offset some of the costs to SAC".

Thanks for the added info....a new fee for that would not be welcome by many folks, as you all know...;)

They could also make $$$ from installs and setups, as well as equipment.

#34 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

Q: Churn was up a bit, is that just due to the on purpose slow down, and will that continue.

A: Expect churn to be a bit up in the 4th quarter from last year 4th quarter. Many of it due to continued credit tightening, not bringing on questionable customers, looking for high quality customers.

#35 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Q: Still on track to break even or slight profit on Sunday Ticket?

A: Had a very good season so far and exceeded their expectations by far with the number of subs taking it along with Superfan. Very strong demand for it still. Still a lot of years left on the contract but it's going well so far.

#36 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the added info....a new fee for that would not be welcome by many folks, as you all know...;)

They could also make $$$ from installs and setups, as well as equipment.

I think it all depends on what the fee is. If it's $5.00 a month per account (comparable to the DVR fee) I think a lot of people would jump on it. The big problem is that when someone pays for something, they expect it to work perfectly, every time. With it being free, people are more willing to cut them some slack as to the quality since it's just an added benefit.

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#37 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

I think it all depends on what the fee is. If it's $5.00 a month per account (comparable to the DVR fee) I think a lot of people would jump on it. The big problem is that when someone pays for something, they expect it to work perfectly, every time. With it being free, people are more willing to cut them some slack as to the quality since it's just an added benefit.

I would rather pay a higher up front cost for the box rather than an ongoing nagging fee. If DTV starts nickle and dimeing me over features i'll be considered churn.

#38 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

As always, Thanks Bonscott. You do a great job with these. I always look forward to these type of threads.

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#39 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

So if someone would be paying $5.00 per DVR now, $10.00 for HD service, and then have to pay $5.00 for MRV in addition, that would be OK?

Not sure how well received that would be...just sayin....

#40 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Q: about SWM8

A: SWM is being used on all installations starting in 4th quarter. Just makes it so much easier on installs and will help next year with MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...