Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV 3rd Quarter Conference Call scheduled

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

We'll have to wait until Seeking alpha gets the transcript up but I thought he said they were "looking" at charging for MRV. But again, let's wait for the transcript to see the exact wording and not take apart my live typing which may not be 100% accurate. :D

Thought so....thanks.

Great job on the notes!
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

Also curious:

No mention of Tivo in the presentation OR by any questions.

Almost makes you wonder if it's still on their radar.

#53 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,194 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

I would rather pay a higher up front cost for the box rather than an ongoing nagging fee. If DTV starts nickle and dimeing me over features i'll be considered churn.

Certainly the churn potential will figure into any future fees and they certainly don't want a wholesale exodus. Based on what has been said in the past, I envision the whole home scenario as a "super DVR" with more capability than current DVRs plus satellite boxes without tuners (network connection only, using DECA or ethernet). The "super DVR" would have a higher up front fee while the satellite boxes would be fairly inexpensive, but they still would have a monthly per-box fee, which could provide the return they are looking for, hopefully without a MRV charge for the current boxes.

#54 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Biggest new things for me were:

1) Confirmation of new hardware/receivers coming out that will support MRV and networking built in. HR30 perhaps?

2) Whole new search overhaul coming. Much needed. And seeing as they mentioned it on this call as part of the presentation that certainly makes it a big high visible item.

Biggest news to me was re: MRV and the fact they will now roll out SWM as the standard new install method.

#55 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

We'll have to wait until Seeking alpha gets the transcript up but I thought he said they were "looking" at charging for MRV. But again, let's wait for the transcript to see the exact wording and not take apart my live typing which may not be 100% accurate. :D

I really thought I heard "Probably" with respect to charging. We should wait for the transcript to be certain though unless there is a replay and someone want to listen through that part again.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

The two notable quotes all in response to one person's question.

"Will mainly charge for the installation of those services" (Re: MRV)

"We'll probably add monthly charge for the 'whole home solution' which would include MRV & Broadband connectivity." (paraphrased)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#57 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

With D12 sat there will be much stronger push capability with movies/PPV.

Does this mean they are going to be adding even more PPV with D12?

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

"We'll probably add monthly charge for the 'whole home solution' which would include MRV & Broadband connectivity." (paraphrased)

OK - that has different implications than simply charging for the service on a blanket basis.

Thanks for clarifying.

#59 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

What I am reading is they are going to charge to keep your ethernet port active.

So all this stuff we have now, like using TVersity to share my music, hooked up to the net for VOD, some secret squirrel stuff for MRV, TVapps we are going to have to pay for in the future?

#60 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

Does this mean they are going to be adding even more PPV with D12?

And they are going to charge us to have broadband hooked up so we can order the PPV.

#61 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

What I am reading is they are going to charge to keep your ethernet port active.

So all this stuff we have now, like using TVersity to share my music, hooked up to the net for VOD, some secret squirrel stuff for MRV, TVapps we are going to have to pay for in the future?

Not what I think their intent will be.

I can see them selling a Broadband services package that they may install, including the SWM, etc. to enable MRV and other web-based services.

For those who have this in place, there may not be any reason to change much of anything...but for new customers wanting to add these new services, they may choose to offer some kind of install, equipment, configuration package.

Overall, it sounded like not only have those decisions not yet been made, but the specifics not all ironed out as to how (if at all) to charge for these kinds of things.

#62 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

Also curious:

No mention of Tivo in the presentation OR by any questions.

Almost makes you wonder if it's still on their radar.

Well, since the very first PR about the new HD TiVo deal, they have said the words "new box", I guess they are doing their part by bring out the new recievers that were talked about. It is up to TiVo to get it running on that box.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#63 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Not what I think their intent will be.

I can see them selling a Broadband services package that they may install, including the SWM, etc. to enable MRV and other web-based services.

For those who have this in place, there may not be any reason to change much of anything...but for new customers wanting to add these new services, they may choose to offer some kind of install, equipment, configuration package.

Overall, it sounded like not only have those decisions not yet been made, but the specifics not all ironed out as to how (if at all) to charge for these kinds of things.

I hope you are right on this! Of course I am still upset with the "HD Extra" pack I have to 5 bucks a month for. I took the Receiver out of the kitchen so my bill didn't go up when I added that pack.

#64 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

I hope you are right on this! Of course I am still upset with the "HD Extra" pack I have to 5 bucks a month for. I took the Receiver out of the kitchen so my bill didn't go up when I added that pack.

If your paying for the HD Extra Pack then thats your bad. You can get 3 months free. I have done this about 4-5 times now so pretty much I have had it free for over a year now.

#65 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

I'm just speculating like everyone else...but clearly, they indicated things have not been decided yet.

In the case of the HD Extra pack - that may come more into play next year when the new D12 satellite is in operation, in terms of what channels are added.

#66 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

If your paying for the HD Extra Pack then thats your bad. You can get 3 months free. I have done this about 4-5 times now so pretty much I have had it free for over a year now.

I shouldn't have to call and beg to get programming credits. If they are willing to give it for free they should just do that.

I also read in the thread they are starting to want to do away with people who are calling in always getting credits.

#67 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

DTV stock got a nice 6.3% pop from today's good news. Given the amount of DTV stock that I still have in my 401k as a former Hughes Aircraft Co employee, that one day pop will more than cover a few years of my DirecTV bill (including any future MRV charges) :) and looking at the more important long term results, DTV stock has outperformed the broad market indices by about 75% over the past 5 years. :D

#68 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

I shouldn't have to call and beg to get programming credits. If they are willing to give it for free they should just do that.

You can get HD Extra for free online. Go online and drop it. Wait a day and add it back on and it will be free.

I also read in the thread they are starting to want to do away with people who are calling in always getting credits.

I had a hard time keeping up when he was talking about this so I'm interested in what the transcript will read.

But from what I gather they are just continuing to tighten up retention credits and they commented that churn may go up a tic because they are tired of giving people $20 off a month when they call up every 6 months to cancel. So it's not like they are going to just drop people that are getting credits, it's that they won't be giving those credits out as much which may cause some people to actually follow up on their threat to leave.

#69 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

You can get HD Extra for free online. Go online and drop it. Wait a day and add it back on and it will be free.

I had a hard time keeping up when he was talking about this so I'm interested in what the transcript will read.

But from what I gather they are just continuing to tighten up retention credits and they commented that churn may go up a tic because they are tired of giving people $20 off a month when they call up every 6 months to cancel. So it's not like they are going to just drop people that are getting credits, it's that they won't be giving those credits out as much which may cause some people to actually follow up on their threat to leave.

Just curious, I never followed these types of calls before. how much of what they say is just accountants blowing smoke up... well you know .... ?? Historically how much do these actually mean in the real world?

#70 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,284 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

Just curious, I never followed these types of calls before. how much of what they say is just accountants blowing smoke up... well you know .... ?? Historically how much do these actually mean in the real world?

If there is too much smoke and mirrors the SEC gets very cranky.

Now, there is a lot of numbers for the investors--if you're not an analyst or investor, there ain't much for us geeks. Bonscott does an awesome job staying awake for those few tidbits when they do slip in. :)

Thanks, Bonscott!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#71 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,238 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

Key nearterm goals.

Streaming NFL games to cell phones is much more popular then they thought.
TV Apps has also been popular.

New services coming out:
1) NEW whole home MRV and networked DVRs coming out in a few months that have new hardware and media built in.
2) NEW advanced search engine coming soon to be more like a PC including DVD cover art
3) NEW movie service which will piggy back on the new satellite. [He talked a bit more but I missed it. This might be the "Netflix type" service that was talked about in the last couple calls.]
4) New Sat will also increase capacity to over 200 HD channels

Great job on the blog today Scott .. tanks!

I'm less than thrilled about the prospect of having to pay for MRV, so I hope they "look" at customer reaction and keep it free...

#72 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,022 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:09 AM

We should wait for the transcript to be certain though unless there is a replay and someone want to listen through that part again.

Here's the transcript: http://seekingalpha....ce-call?page=-1

#73 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

Here are specifics from the transcript.

New Receivers with MRV:

In a few months, we’ll start shipping the receivers that will provide customers with Whole-Home functionality including multi-room viewing, broadband connectivity for services such as VOD and TV Apps as well as access to connected PCs to view pictures, music and other media.

New Search Functionality:

Also in a few months, we’ll be greatly enhancing our user experience by introducing an industry leading search engine that in many ways will look and feel like a PC search. The advanced search experience will not only make it significantly easier to find exactly what you are looking, but will also include photos, DVD cover art as well as recommendations for similar shows based on your preferences.

New Movie Service:

We are also planning to launch a new movie service next year, where customers will be able to access more than thousands of movie from either their PC or TV to view on their big screen TV. This service will be greatly expanded upon the successful launch of our next satellite D12, which becomes operational in the first half of next year. This new satellite will also increase DIRECTV's HD capacity by 50% over 200 national channels.

I believe this is the Netflix type service they mentioned in the Citi and Sachs calls a couple months ago.

On the MRV Charge:

Yeah I think that there is a couple of things that happened there will probably add a monthly charge for kind of a whole home solution that would include multi-room viewing and broadband kind of activity so you will get a regular one and then we have seen on just kind of a limited basis that we have now and people that are connected to the broadband that they tend to apply more services and produce more revenue.

So yes, the exact wording is "probably".

#74 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

I would hope they can figure out how to do MRV over the coax vs via the ethernet port. Folks in older homes don't have ethernet jacks in every room of their house.

Maybe the SWM is going to act as a pseudo moca device?

#75 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

This phrase could be interpreted a number of different ways, especially depending upon what the highlighted words may mean within teh context of the statement:

"will probably add a monthly charge for kind of a whole home solution that would include multi-room viewing and broadband kind of activity.."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...