Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release - DISH Network Statement on House Energy and Commerce Committee mark-up

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

DISH Network Statement on House Energy and Commerce Committee mark-up of SHVURA

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Oct. 15, 2009 – DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), today issued the following statement on the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s mark-up of the Satellite Home Viewer Update and Reauthorization Act (SHVURA):
“DISH Network congratulates the House Energy and Commerce Committee for advancing a bill that provides DISH Network with an incentive to deliver local TV service to all 210 markets. Chairman Henry Waxman’s leadership, as well as leadership from Reps Rick Boucher, Joe Barton and Cliff Sterns, played a critical role in securing this bipartisan policy victory, which is a real win for consumers.”

# # #

About DISH Network L.L.C.
DISH Network L.L.C., the nation’s HD leader, provides approximately 13.610 million satellite TV customers as of June 30, 2009 with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the ViP® 722 HD DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine “Editors’ Choice.” Visit www.dishnetwork.com.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

According to this article the bill would:
  • Insert a new section to account for the Judiciary Committee's decision to establish a process by which a federal court could lift an injunction that prevents one satellite carrier, Dish Network, from using the distant compulsory copyright license once it provides local into local service in every U.S. market.
  • Insert new grandfathering language to ensure that consumers who are lawfully receiving distant network programming do not lose access to that programming due to Judiciary Committee changes.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

Does this do anything for areas where cable has more carry rights than satellite? For example: Where I live, I can only get Atlanta (GA) locals off the satellite. However, Comcast cable (that has the contract with our county) carries both Atlanta (GA) and Chattanooga (TN) local stations. We actually live closer to Chattanooga geographically so it makes more sense to have Chattanooga channels... Just by what's above, it looks like it doesn't... but I was wondering if anybody more educated on this had any insight.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

Does this do anything for areas where cable has more carry rights than satellite? For example: Where I live, I can only get Atlanta (GA) locals off the satellite. However, Comcast cable (that has the contract with our county) carries both Atlanta (GA) and Chattanooga (TN) local stations. We actually live closer to Chattanooga geographically so it makes more sense to have Chattanooga channels... Just by what's above, it looks like it doesn't... but I was wondering if anybody more educated on this had any insight.

The impact of this legislation is yet to be seen. The justification for this legislation is to provide all broadcast networks to every LIL customer. The smallest markets are missing key networks, therefore the importation of a "distant" is in order. OTOH, if your market has all the networks included, it may be less likely that you can get a 2nd set of OTA nets. As always YMMV. Then again, I did read earlier that the determination of what constitutes a market (Neilsen's DMA's) were also being reexamined by congress.I can see exceptions in areas like Washington D.C./Baltimore and Cincinnati/Dayton. In these areas the 2 markets are so close that many can put up an antenna and get the majority of both markets OTA.

In your case the reexamination of the DMA model may bear some weight. If a significant amount of viewers can watch Chattanooga (via cable or OTA) there is no reason why E* can't provide that market's stations to you. OTOH, there may be pressure to keep viewership "in state". This would be for political reasons (so you can see the political ads directed at your locale).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

According to this article the bill would:

• Insert a new section to account for the Judiciary Committee's decision to establish a process by which a federal court could lift an injunction that prevents one satellite carrier, Dish Network, from using the distant compulsory copyright license once it provides local into local service in every U.S. market.
  • Insert new grandfathering language to ensure that consumers who are lawfully receiving distant network programming do not lose access to that programming due to Judiciary Committee changes.

Does this have anything to do with sub-channels? In the San Francisco DMA, Dish carries KOFY 2.1 which is AZTECA.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   kinglerch

kinglerch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

I liked the days where you could buy eastcoast locals and westcoast locals, if you wanted. It was cheaper and easier for the satellite company and gave me the option to watch things at different times.

Now they have to provide different locals to each and every separate city, spend large amounts of money, and reduce the quality to squeeze it all in. And in the end, I am only "allowed" to buy my city's 4 networks.

So I put up an antenna and receive signals from 3 major markets. I get them in better quality and more channels that satellite companies don't cover (PBS, CW, subchannels, etc). If I wanted to, I could put my antenna on a huge tower and get even more markets...but why should this be necessary?

Why can't the consumer be allowed to buy whichever channels they want from Dish? I have to put up an antenna to receive channels that are already provided by and paid for by Dish, but are blocked? I have to watch my local news even if it is s#!tty, or local sports broadcast I'm not interested in, or a preempted or blacked out or time shifted or channel with technical difficulties?

I'm supposed to think "Well, they've blocked the broadcast I really want to watch, so I'll just watch this one"??? In these days of DVRs, skipped commercials, thousands of channels, and internet media they shouldn't be blocking anything. They should put something interesting on and people will watch. "Forcing" them to watch by blocking channels is going to just make them change the channel.

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

You need some understanding on how the TV BUSINESS works, as well as some more details on the history of DBS coverage.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   kinglerch

kinglerch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

I know the history of DBS coverage, I've lived it since the 18" dish first existed. I just think it's silly.

There is no reason they can give me for blocking a channel that will make me watch their unblocked "alternative" :nono:

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

I know the history of DBS coverage, I've lived it since the 18" dish first existed. I just think it's silly.

There is no reason they can give me for blocking a channel that will make me watch their unblocked "alternative" :nono:

Call the NAB and see how far you get.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Why can't the consumer be allowed to buy whichever channels they want from Dish?

Where would you get the idea that competition should apply to the likes of GE or News Corp which spend millions daily selling us on the idea that the free market should apply to everyone but them.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

How will this affect areas like Muskingum county in Ohio. Where the local broadcast station, and DirecTv have (in what I consider it to be) monopolized the locals shutting out Dish Network from providing any kind of local programming county wide. Will this force (or allow depending how you look at it) Dish into carrying WHIZ in turn allowing Dish to provide the rest of the local (out of Columbus, OH) NBC, ABC, CBS, Ect... networks to the county.

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

How will this affect areas like Muskingum county in Ohio. Where the local broadcast station, and DirecTv have (in what I consider it to be) monopolized the locals shutting out Dish Network from providing any kind of local programming county wide. Will this force (or allow depending how you look at it) Dish into carrying WHIZ in turn allowing Dish to provide the rest of the local (out of Columbus, OH) NBC, ABC, CBS, Ect... networks to the county.

I dont think the In-State-Out of DMA Locals aply to you here. I do how ever think that it would mean that either E* offers you your DMA's locals or you could possibly get the DNS feeds in its place. We will see. Nothing is decided yet. For the time being, have you tried getting any of the locals from All American Direct?

Edited by joshjr, 23 October 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

I dont think the In-State-Out of DMA Locals aply to you here. I do how ever think that it would mean that either E* offers you your DMA's locals or you could possibly get the DNS feeds in its place. We will see. Nothing is decided yet. For the time being, have you tried getting any of the locals from All American Direct?

All Amer Direct will provide the regional feeds to Muskingum county. Most people would like to have the locals though. My county is allowed locals. I'm asking more for my customers really. I do alot of work there.

#14 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

What happens to AAD when Dish is allowed to do distants?

#15 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

What happens to AAD when Dish is allowed to do distants?

I am guessing that will go away. If they offer all 210 DMA's and are giving permission to import DNS feeds for missing affiliates in short markers then there would be no need for AAD any longer.

#16 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

I am guessing that will go away. If they offer all 210 DMA's and are giving permission to import DNS feeds for missing affiliates in short markers then there would be no need for AAD any longer.

Curious what their position is on this.

#17 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Curious what their position is on this.

Who AAD? Not much they can do. I think someone one here said E* leases transponder space to them. So the lease will eventually be up and E* would not renew it. Nothing to it really.

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

Somehow, I don't think AAD depends solely on short markets or unserved areas. Many people like me who live outside the OTA range prefer to get stations in other time zones.

My AV Setup

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

Somehow, I don't think AAD depends solely on short markets or unserved areas. Many people like me who live outside the OTA range prefer to get stations in other time zones.

That would make you unserved lol. I get locals in different time zones as well and I like it to just its not from AAD.

#20 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

This question is a bit off topic, but I am not able to get my local Fox and MNT affiliates via antenna where I live. I do of course get them on DISH. Can I get a waiver for a distant Fox signal simply because of no over-the-air reception? Or will AAD or other providers disallow this because I am getting them on DISH?
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

spam firewall