Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Women of "Mad Men"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

There's an interesting article on Yahoo: Mad About 'Mad Men's' Women: The Show's Actresses Defy Expectations.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

I'd say it's a nice, quick read, but I was hoping for something more insightful. I find it very interesting that these women have been able to dig really deep and come up with some amazing performances. When you look at Elisabeth Moss' work in The West Wing you don't see any of that brilliance, and I would have easily dismissed January Jones as another actress/model type. Where are they getting this great acting from?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

I guess you have find women who have the judgement to ignore their agents, internet groupies, and Ashton Kutcher types.;)

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

Brilliantly put, old friend.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

I find it very interesting that these women have been able to dig really deep and come up with some amazing performances [...]

One other thing they share in common is Matt Weiner's direction.

From the show's Wiki page:

Tim Hunter, the director of a half-dozen episodes from the show's first two seasons, called Mad Men a "very well-run show".

“They have a lot of production meetings during pre-production. The day the script comes in we all meet for a first page turn, and Matt starts telling us how he envisions it. Then there's a quote-unquote "tone" meeting a few days later where Matt tells us how he envisions it. And then there's a final full crew production meeting where Matt...well, you know."
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

One other thing they share in common is Matt Weiner's direction.

From the show's Wiki page:

Tim Hunter, the director of a half-dozen episodes from the show's first two seasons, called Mad Men a "very well-run show".

“They have a lot of production meetings during pre-production. The day the script comes in we all meet for a first page turn, and Matt starts telling us how he envisions it. Then there's a quote-unquote "tone" meeting a few days later where Matt tells us how he envisions it. And then there's a final full crew production meeting where Matt...well, you know."

Good point. Just about everything on this show reflects his careful planning and direction.

My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

If you haven't seen the November January GQ photos, you can check them out here, along with a video of the photo shoot. Hubbah, Hubbah!

Edited by Steve, 19 October 2009 - 04:46 PM.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...