Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best Buy Receiver Not Leased??

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

I've read dozens of times that if you buy a $99 HD receiver at Best Buy that it's still "leased" and to actually OWN it, that it would be several hundred dollars.

I've fulfilled my 2-year contract and all I want to do is activate 1 HD receiver (non DVR). I have NFL-ST which is obviously a high dollar package so I figured it could be worth a try to haggle with them to see what they would say about the contract issue.

The CSR told me (as I knew) that if you receive a receiver from Directv that you enter into the 2-year contract. He told me that if I am not comfortable with it that I could "buy" my receiver. I said...yeah sure for $500 and he said that it wasn't that expensive. I told him ...really? If I go to Best Buy and purchase one for $99 that it is still leased and he responded with "No sir, if you get it at Best Buy you OWN it and you do not have a 2-year contract".

I told him that would make me happy but that I was almost certain that he was wrong and that a Best Buy receiver is leased and requires the contract. He reiterated that it's OWNED and the entire conversation lasted about 15 minutes with him assuring me that I would not have a contract.

Has anything changed or is that guy asleep at the wheel??

If pick it up at Best Buy and call to activate it and they tell me NO contract.... can they screw you into adding it anyhow?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

There will be a contract on the receiver and it will be a leased receiver. I think the standalone receivers are an 18-month contract, but if you get an HD DVR it's 2 years. If that's not right I'm sure someone will correct me :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

I've read dozens of times that if you buy a $99 HD receiver at Best Buy that it's still "leased" and to actually OWN it, that it would be several hundred dollars.

I've fulfilled my 2-year contract and all I want to do is activate 1 HD receiver (non DVR). I have NFL-ST which is obviously a high dollar package so I figured it could be worth a try to haggle with them to see what they would say about the contract issue.

The CSR told me (as I knew) that if you receive a receiver from Directv that you enter into the 2-year contract. He told me that if I am not comfortable with it that I could "buy" my receiver. I said...yeah sure for $500 and he said that it wasn't that expensive. I told him ...really? If I go to Best Buy and purchase one for $99 that it is still leased and he responded with "No sir, if you get it at Best Buy you OWN it and you do not have a 2-year contract".

I told him that would make me happy but that I was almost certain that he was wrong and that a Best Buy receiver is leased and requires the contract. He reiterated that it's OWNED and the entire conversation lasted about 15 minutes with him assuring me that I would not have a contract.

Has anything changed or is that guy asleep at the wheel??

If pick it up at Best Buy and call to activate it and they tell me NO contract.... can they screw you into adding it anyhow?

Try a different CSR things have not changed a new receiver is a lease and adding a receiver to your account starts a new 2 yr. commitment.:)

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

There will be a contract on the receiver and it will be a leased receiver. I think the standalone receivers are an 18-month contract, but if you get an HD DVR it's 2 years. If that's not right I'm sure someone will correct me :)

It's 24 months for all receivers for new customers. For existing customers, SD receivers require 12 months and all other receivers are 24 months.

And as Doug stated, purchasing a receiver at Best Buy is only a lease. You will not own the receiver. Apparently the DirecTV CSR's still need better training.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

That's pretty stupid for someone to mislead me like that.

The horse is long since beaten and dead on this topic.... I just think the 24 month contract is such a scam. Makes sense when you get a new customer programming offer, or a HD-DVR, or have a tech come to your house and spend an hour installing a dish... but there is no way that that a HD non dvr receiver costs them more than $99 in 10/2009. Plus they'd be getting $5 a month from me activating it and they'd never have to come to my house.

Plus if I cancel I have to return the receiver for them to turn around and "lease" it to someone else for $99? That doesn't make sense!

Obviously if you trick/force people into contracts and keep extending them ... you'd never lose customers!!! Just my 2 cents but that sounds like a Scam with a capital C.

#6 OFFLINE   AZsatTech

AZsatTech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

It doesn't matter will you buy the receiver, you will automatically be renewing your 24 month agreement anytime you add an advanced product i.e. an HD reciever.

#7 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

That's pretty stupid for someone to mislead me like that.

The horse is long since beaten and dead on this topic.... I just think the 24 month contract is such a scam. Makes sense when you get a new customer programming offer, or a HD-DVR, or have a tech come to your house and spend an hour installing a dish... but there is no way that that a HD non dvr receiver costs them more than $99 in 10/2009. Plus they'd be getting $5 a month from me activating it and they'd never have to come to my house.

Plus if I cancel I have to return the receiver for them to turn around and "lease" it to someone else for $99? That doesn't make sense!

Obviously if you trick/force people into contracts and keep extending them ... you'd never lose customers!!! Just my 2 cents but that sounds like a Scam with a capital C.

I dont think anyone is being tricked. Yes this CSR was misinformed but your not being forced to take the contract. You do have options but you have to decide what is best for you. None of us are obligated to take one company over another. If we want tv we have to the least of all the evils.

#8 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

If you get a receiver anywhere at the "standard" pricing anywhere, be it Costco, Best Buy, or DirecTV, it is a leased receiver.

The receivers OWNED prices have dropped a little, but there still atleast like $300 (for "advanced equipment"). In order to get an OWNED receiver you have to purchase it through DirecTV. If the CSR doesn't know the difference ask to speak with a supervisor.

#9 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

D* has created a system so confusing that their own CSR's can't understand it. It's a recipe for disaster. Well, unless you are a class-action lawyer! ;)

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

Plus they'd be getting $5 a month from me activating it and they'd never have to come to my house.

The $5/month that you pay is for them to mirror your subscription plan to your additional receivers. That keeps you from having to pay the full subscription price for the additional receivers. They just call it a "lease fee" if your receiver is leased and a "mirroring fee" if your receiver is owned.

It doesn't matter will you buy the receiver, you will automatically be renewing your 24 month agreement anytime you add an advanced product i.e. an HD reciever.

Activating an owned receiver will not create a new/renew your commitment. The commitments only apply to activating leased receivers and only if they are not replacing a defective one.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   daytoday

daytoday

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

The lease receiver fee is a sure SCAM. DTV has suckered every customer into this sneaky scam. Encourage customers to upgrade and then hide language in the 5 page contract to lock you in for life. A consumer can't trust anyone anymore.

Anyone defending DTV on this SCAM, obviously works for DTV. :mad:

#12 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

Have him send you an email saying you will own it and there is no two year commitment. lol

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

The solution to the "2 year commitment" is to get everything you want at one time. Adding receivers doesn't add 2 years to an existing commitment, it RESETS it to 2 years (nobody has a commitment longer than 2 years).

I got my first R15 in July 2007. And I got my second one in September 2007. That only added 2 MONTHS to my commitment.

That is why DirecTV offers "deals" to folks who have no commitment-they get a FULL 2 YEAR commitment if they take the offer.

Once you have the complement of receivers you want, in 2 years your commitment is over-even if some of them break down and are replaced for a nominal $20 S & H fee. Only adding NEW receivers to your account reset/restart the commitment. And it does not matter if you get these receivers from DirecTV, Best Buy, or an online retailer. The result is the same and the equipment is leased.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

The lease receiver fee is a sure SCAM. DTV has suckered every customer into this sneaky scam. Encourage customers to upgrade and then hide language in the 5 page contract to lock you in for life. A consumer can't trust anyone anymore.

Anyone defending DTV on this SCAM, obviously works for DTV. :mad:

When the terms are clearly communicated, I have to say I defend D* on this. And I do not work for D*. Not that I wouldn't want to, but D* probably wouldn't have me because I whine and moan about plenty of other things.

#15 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

The lease receiver fee is a sure SCAM.

I wouldnt so much call it a SCAM.
I do think DirecTV should use better wording. Plenty of us have commented that the lease receiver fee should be renamed to something like 'programming mirroring fee', because it is not a lease fee, it IS a service mirroring fee.

However, it is nice to be able to look at my bill and know which of my receivers DirecTV wants back, and which are my very own.

#16 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

So, how hard would it be for the lines items to read "Mirror Fee - Leased Receiver" and "Mirror Fee - Owned Receiver"? My guess is it would not be hard at all, but it would introduce some tax issues. In some jurisdictions, services are not taxable, but a lease charge would be. By calling this a "lease fee", these governments get some taxes from D* and it keeps them from doing stupid things like trying to enact satellite dish inspection fees.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:12 AM

So, how hard would it be for the lines items to read "Mirror Fee - Leased Receiver" and "Mirror Fee - Owned Receiver"? My guess is it would not be hard at all, but it would introduce some tax issues. In some jurisdictions, services are not taxable, but a lease charge would be. By calling this a "lease fee", these governments get some taxes from D* and it keeps them from doing stupid things like trying to enact satellite dish inspection fees.

Actually, they do indicate what type of receiver you have. If your bill lists "Additional Receiver", it means you have an owned receiver. If your bill lists "Mirrored Receiver", it means you have a leased receiver. There is no indication as to what your primary receiver is though. And because of this distinction, people are taxed appropriately according to services or lease fees.

As for notification to consumers, I know that if I go into Costco or Best Buy now, all of the receivers have a huge sticker on them stating that they are a leased product.

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:43 AM

Actually, they do indicate what type of receiver you have. If your bill lists "Additional Receiver", it means you have an owned receiver. If your bill lists "Mirrored Receiver", it means you have a leased receiver. There is no indication as to what your primary receiver is though.

Perhaps I have different billing for some reason, but mine is not like that. I have Leased Receiver, Additional Receiver, and Primary Leased Receiver. Not sure what they'd call a primary owned receiver, but they definitely do indicate which is primary.

#19 OFFLINE   chdoud

chdoud

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Perhaps I have different billing for some reason, but mine is not like that. I have Leased Receiver, Additional Receiver, and Primary Leased Receiver. Not sure what they'd call a primary owned receiver, but they definitely do indicate which is primary.

My is the same. In May 2009 I had a change to my account and my OLDDDD pimary receiver (owned 1996) was changed to an additional receiver. They then changed my primary receiver to my HR21. Furtunately the CSR was very good and I did not lose all my grandfathering.
-------------------------------------
HR20-100 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
HR21-200 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
H21-200 --> Westinghouse LTV 27w6 (HDMI)
Simline Dish
D* since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Primary receivers that are owned do not show up as a line item. Leased receivers always charged/credited for the primary but only about 2 years ago did they get put on the actual bill.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...