Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Convert files to mpeg2 for native playback on HR23-700 via TVersity?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Truman

Truman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

i have an hr23-700. i'm running the lastest version of tversity. first off, i'm having an issue with pausing playback. i was watching an avi, i hit pause, walked away for approx 5-10 minutes, and when i came back to resume playback, the file would only resume for approx 10 seconds before i was kicked back to the main mediashare menu.

this is a major problem because i am unable to fast forward or rewind. i can only pause/play. after poking around on the tversity forums, i was led to believe that the lack of ffw/rew control was because the file was being transcoded. if i'm not mistaken, the hr23-700 natively supports mpeg2. so i downloaded a program called winavi and converted my avi to mpeg2.

this still hasn't allowed me to ffw/rew. i really don't want to have to watch the entire video all the way through to catch up to where i was. i had gotten nearly 75% of the way through it on the first try.

what am i missing? have i perhaps improperly converted from avi to mpeg2? is mpeg2 the wrong codec for native playback on the hr23-700? am i missing a setting in my tversity options?

if anyone has been able to get this working, that is play video files on their d* hd dvr in a native format that doesn't require transcoding and thus allows for some trickplay use, please let me know how you've done it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Truman,

Don't bother with an external transcoder, just feed the AVI files to TVersity. TVersity will transcode on the fly and pipe the movies to your HR2x. In my experience, this gives me better quality than any other 'outboard' transcoding.

Now the bad news: DIRECTV's Media Share was designed to work with Intel's Viiv product. However, Intel has long since dropped all support and no longer admits that Viiv ever existed. DIRECTV has successfully looked the other way and has not admitted that there is a problem; they have not bothered to modify their implementation of Media Share to work with today's (non-Viiv) common standard protocols.

You therefore have no trickplay functions whatsoever: no pause, no ffwd, frev, nothing. A pause that seems to work will shortly timeout and kick you back to the beginning of the movie. Watch the movies straight through and it works beautifully. Plan your bathroom breaks accordingly.

For some movies, I use some free utilities to chop the AVI files into smaller (45 minute) pieces. I have not yet been able to discover any way to play HD progams through TVerstiy to the HR2x.

Do some searches here at DBSTALK and you will find lots of more detailed information - but all will lead you to the same sorry answer.

#3 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

It would make things a lot easier if Media Share wasPosted Imagecomplaint

#4 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,058 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

It would make things a lot easier if Media Share wasPosted Imagecomplaint

It sure would! If they don't I'll probably look for another solution (Popcorn Hour, PS3 or ??)

I ran a test and it appears that pause works if the file is MPEG2, but not if it is transcoded.

#5 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have the same issue with Tversity. Its been since day one. If press pause it doesnt restore properly. I have to start it and watch the whole movie through.

#6 OFFLINE   Truman

Truman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

well, at least i can take solace in the fact that this issue is a limit of the technology, rather than a result of my utter lack of technical prowess. :]

Protected By... spam firewall...And...