Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-100 problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigds01

bigds01

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

I have a box that I don't watch often. What is happening is when I try to watch a recorded program, it will get stuck, and functionally the whole box will freeze. It happens at random points, on any program.

I had the tech out yesterday and he did a reset of the defaults (not the hard factory reset). Worked for a bit, now I have the problem again.

Any idea?

He was the supervisor, and seemed knowledgeable, and he didn't think the box was going bad. He also said BTW, that they have had a ton of issues on boxes since the last software update.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

There's quite a few things you can try...

So this doesn't happen on any of your other boxes? Can you switch this box with a box at another location in the house and see if the problems follow the receiver?

You could also try running the built-in self test. Here are the steps for that:

1. reboot STB via Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
2. when they see "Running receiver self-check" press select
3. You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
4. select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Surface Test

Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

If that doesn't work, I suppose you could also try a "reset everything" if you don't have a ton of recordings that you're worried about losing. If all else fails, call for a replacement. :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   poco01

poco01

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

when i do the surface test it comes up with hard drive fail,my question then if i hook up an external drive will the box work. as the internal drive will then be turned off.so then the external drive should keep the receiver working

Edited by poco01, 18 August 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

when i do the surface test it comes up with hard drive fail,my question then if i hook up an external drive will the box work. as the internal drive will then be turned off.so then the external drive should keep the receiver working

Yes an external hard drive will work. But everything on the internal drive is no longer available. Not really an issue since you can't comfortably watch them anyway. And your Series Links are lost too.

Instead of investing in an external hard drive since the HR21 is getting old, consider jumping to an HR24 with 500gb internal drive or HMC HR34 with 1TB. Yeah they may reset your commitment but you will like the newer boxes better.

Edited by NR4P, 18 August 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...