Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why can't D* offer us, a la carte, ST RED ZONE for a 1-time fee?!?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

Fios offers the NFL Network RZC for a one-time fee, Dish as a small montly fee. It chaps my hide that Fios, Dish & others offer this channel, but not D*.

No need for D* to offer the NFL's version of the RZC. The powers that be @ D* should contemplate offering peeps, who aren't able to afford the full NFL ST/Superfan, the opportunity to purchase the D* version of the RZC a la carte. I would gladly pay a nominal fee to get this functionality. Of course, we're already 6 weeks into the season, maybe they can get it going next season? D* has the contract through next season as well right?

Edited by texasmoose, 18 October 2009 - 01:46 AM.

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:06 AM

I wouldnt be surprised if this is something they are considering due to the competition.

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:58 AM

Fios offers the NFL Network RZC for a one-time fee, Dish as a small montly fee. It chaps my hide that Fios, Dish & others offer this channel, but not D*.

No need for D* to offer the NFL's version of the RZC. The powers that be @ D* should contemplate offering peeps, who aren't able to afford the full NFL ST/Superfan, the opportunity to purchase the D* version of the RZC a la carte. I would gladly pay a nominal fee to get this functionality. Of course, we're already 6 weeks into the season, maybe they can get it going next season? D* has the contract through next season as well right?

Sounds like you should change providers if your not happy. The main thing thats better about D* is sports programming. If your not taking advantage of that then why stay with them? Alot of us got Sunday Ticket for $159 this year with Super Fan included. I dont think the price is unreasonable. I'm a single parent of 2 kids & I can afford it.

#4 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

Sounds like you should change providers if your not happy. The main thing thats better about D* is sports programming. If your not taking advantage of that then why stay with them? Alot of us got Sunday Ticket for $159 this year with Super Fan included. I dont think the price is unreasonable. I'm a single parent of 2 kids & I can afford it.

I personally love movies and only watch the free sports that are aired. Directv, since I have tried all the other carriers, had the best quality, service, programming, for the money that I was willing to pay. Its not all about sports but its a plus for that want it. As for the OP, give it time. Just like anything it takes one company to lower process and change programming for everyone else to do it.

#5 OFFLINE   Fab55

Fab55

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

I fully agree with the OP, Red Zone should be offered as a stand-alone product. Seems to me that D* is leaving some $$ on the table, should be a no-brainer. I personally only want to see my team, don't care enough to pay to see every team. But I LOVED watching RZC when my team wasn't on. Just can't justify paying for the entire package. Even at $159, that's a lot for 1 channel.

#6 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

yea but remember D* invented the RED ZONE CH!!!

D* has had the RED ZONE since 2006 (possibly earlier)?? but with out D* and the new agreement with NFL the other guys would not have RED ZONE CH. .

i say THANK D* for inventing the channel in the first place.

and thanks to MLB there is NO more D* STRIKE ZONE CH:mad::mad:

but as far as pricing you pay $50 to have it on fios but its only redzone
or get the real deal NFL ST with all the HD games + RED ZONE on D*!!

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

I fully agree with the OP, Red Zone should be offered as a stand-alone product. Seems to me that D* is leaving some $$ on the table, should be a no-brainer. I personally only want to see my team, don't care enough to pay to see every team. But I LOVED watching RZC when my team wasn't on. Just can't justify paying for the entire package. Even at $159, that's a lot for 1 channel.

$159 was not for one channel. It was for all games all season. $10 a week for every game is not to much. Going to one live or to a sports bar to watch it would cost you more. Your team is not worth $40 a month? TO each their own. My team is worth the $40 I guess.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Joshjr:

How did you guys do that!? Awesome discount......

Subscribing to thread........

(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(1) R10 SD DVR - (Tivo unit)
(2) D10 SD Recievers
Samsung 42" HD Plasma HP-S4253
Samsung Upconvert DVD Surround System HT-Q70

#9 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

How did you get ST and Superfan for $159?!?!? I paid something like $379 for this!!!! :mad:

#10 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

To answer one of OP questions, Sunday Ticket is now exclusive through 2014. We shall see if Sunday Ticket Redzone will ever be ala carte or not. Would you pay $100 for it? Directv would have to figure out where the sweet spot is without sabotaging Sunday Ticket itself (we are talking about 1 bln a year now in costs to Directv).
Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

How did you get ST and Superfan for $159?!?!? I paid something like $379 for this!!!! :mad:

Alot of us called and got $20 off a month for 6 months and then got free Super Fan on top of that. There was a thread on it. $120 of $279 is $159 with free Super Fan. I actually got it a little different. I got the HD access fee free for a year and $5 off Showtime for 6 months but thats only because I was already getting $5 off a month for something else. Alot of people got the above offer. All they did was call and ask for it to.

#12 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

You got suckered!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#13 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

So if we don't get Sunday Ticket we should switch providers? WTF?!? :eek2:
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

I find this situation interesting. Purely from a customer point of view, having the option of Redzone seems to make sense. That might be the gateway drug to more ST customers. :)

But the business aspect might be important. How many ST customers would be lost to redzone customers.

My guess, without any numbers, is DIRECTV would likely pick up a few redzone customers with minimal ST losses. And have another feature to keep people from switching to other sources.

Then again--they gots marketing peoples who likely gots real numbers to work with. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Sounds like you should change providers if your not happy. .

I would if you will pay off the 16 months left on my commitment and refund the $900 I paid to rent their equipment from them.

#16 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

I always thought instead of this D* should offer all 16 games of any team you want instead of all the games. If you figure 32 teams, if they all play on one day (Never happens) that's 16 games so it could be 1/16th the price of the whole package.

#17 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

I always thought instead of this D* should offer all 16 games of any team you want instead of all the games. If you figure 32 teams, if they all play on one day (Never happens) that's 16 games so it could be 1/16th the price of the whole package.

I would be more inclined to purchase ST if it was more like this. But i think they should let everything be a la carte simply to give different options to different customers rather than just one purchase that everyone has to take. But like Tom said, someone is real numbers to make these decisions.

#18 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

wow how did you get that! That is a great price!

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Ever since NFL ST came out on Big Ugly Dishes, that has been the #1 request--by far. A single team package.

I've always said I'd spend more money if they had single team and single division packages cuz I'd give those two as gifts to family as well as keep one for myself.

But their loss. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:12 AM

I perfer having all the games. I loved not being trapped into watching what my locals have on. With no blackouts its been even better. I would probably be interested in a Colts only package but would in the end just get them all as I have also watched all of Atlanta and Minnesota's games this season as well. I have rarely watched a game that my locals were airing. Thats not saying much cause they show the Chiefs and Rams each week. Yuk! Who really wants to watch that?

spam firewall