Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Required cable

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   waters212

waters212

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have come across a roll of sat cable and want to make sure it is appropriate for a DTV install. Printed on the cable is the following:

EN 50117-2-1 18 RG6 Class A Trilogy Comm. USA Inc. 18 AWG -- CM c(ETL)us -- CATV (ETL)us & CL2

Is this cable okay to be used to add an additional room etc.?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

I have come across a roll of sat cable and want to make sure it is appropriate for a DTV install. Printed on the cable is the following:

EN 50117-2-1 18 RG6 Class A Trilogy Comm. USA Inc. 18 AWG -- CM c(ETL)us -- CATV (ETL)us & CL2

Is this cable okay to be used to add an additional room etc.?

BS EN 50117-2-1:2005+A1:2008
Coaxial cables. Sectional specification for cables used in cabled distribution networks. Indoor drop cables for systems operating at 5 MHz - 1 000 MHz

It would appear that the specs on that cable do not line up with the current Directv requirements. (solid copper core, 60% braid, swept to 3ghz)

However, that does not mean it will not work.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

While Commscope spec'ed that cable for "Cable", it should work fine for sat unless it's a very long run.

#4 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:12 PM

The cable they use in Satellite and in Cable TV is the same. Cable companies use what the satellite guys install and vice versa.

#5 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:42 AM

The cable they use in Satellite and in Cable TV is the same. Cable companies use what the satellite guys install and vice versa.

That's not entirely true. There are different types of RG6 required for different services. Most digital cable and basic sat installations can get away with using copperclad steel core RG6, which is inexpensive and available at most home improvement outlets like Home Depot or Lowes. The slimline dishes used with DirecTV require solid copper core RG6 due to the sensitive nature of the LNBs. Copperclad steel RG6 can cause too much of a voltage drop when used in this setup, resulting in switching errors at the LNB. This is especially true if you have long cable runs. For short runs (i.e. <50 ft), you can probably get away with the copperclad steel RG6. For longer runs, bite the bullet and get the solid copper core. Be aware that solid copper core RG6 can be very expensive. There are good deals that can be found if you shop around.
Too much crap to list
(Besides, do you really care what I have?):sure:

#6 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

In our area we can't hook up to copper clad steel. When we roll up to a house that was pre-wired with it, we have to test the cable with a magnet to see if it is steel. It usually is.:nono2: We then have to run a new line. Of course now the customer is upset at us for decorating their house with new wire when they thought the pre wire stuff could be used.

Well, enough of these upset people called the contractor and began complaining about the cable that was put in during the pre wire. Many of the contractors are now putting in the !00% copper. Over time I should be decorating homes less and less with new wire.:)

#7 OFFLINE   Ronder

Ronder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

R56 is working great here. We waved the r6 install on all but the new HD tv. I am in an apartment in the basement and am happy to have direct, just like at my home!:sure:
Mitsubishi 65733

Direct TV- Slimline. HR20-700, Choice xtra plus
Harman Kardon Reciever
Energy Speakers
Harmony 880 Remote

#8 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

In our area we can't hook up to copper clad steel. When we roll up to a house that was pre-wired with it, we have to test the cable with a magnet to see if it is steel. It usually is.:nono2: We then have to run a new line. Of course now the customer is upset at us for decorating their house with new wire when they thought the pre wire stuff could be used.

Strange. I just spent 6 years in the CableTV industry and never did I see a Dish installer add lines if the customer already had one running to the TV. And all my company used was copper clad wire.

If I was a customer and already had coax installed and was told I would need to have all new lines ran on my house, I wouldn't let you do it. I could't believe how many people will build a $300K house and not plan for where they wanted TV's.

#9 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

R56 is working great here. We waved the r6 install on all but the new HD tv. I am in an apartment in the basement and am happy to have direct, just like at my home!:sure:

I assume you are referring to RG56 and RG6 since there is no R56 or R6 cable used in the TV industry that I'm aware of. If you're using RG56 then you have the wrong type of cable for TV reception. It's designed for ham radios and such and has an impedance of 50-ohms vs. 75-ohms for RG59 and RG6.

Strange. I just spent 6 years in the CableTV industry and never did I see a Dish installer add lines if the customer already had one running to the TV. And all my company used was copper clad wire.

And what does that say about the installer?:rolleyes: You just reinforced my rationale for installing my own cable and satellite systems.

If I was a customer and already had coax installed and was told I would need to have all new lines ran on my house, I wouldn't let you do it. I could't believe how many people will build a $300K house and not plan for where they wanted TV's.

If you only had RG59 and refused to have it upgraded to RG6 then you get what you deserve. $300K will just about buy you a starter townhome in this part of the country. Most people don't think about where they want TVs while having a house built. Besiders, things change after you've moved into a new home. I pre-wired my house over 25 years ago while it was being built and I have rewired it several times since then.

DBS satellite TV and home networking weren't even something I had to concern myself with at the time so all I did was run RG59 for cable TV and some extra phone lines. I have since rewired it with steel clad RG6, added secondary lines for DVRs in each room, added CAT5 cables for a home network, upgraded to CAT6 for a gigabit network, and upgraded to solid copper RG6 for the latest DirecTV satellites (but ended up switching to FIOS).

Edited by captain_video, 22 October 2009 - 05:27 AM.

Too much crap to list
(Besides, do you really care what I have?):sure:

#10 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

If you only had RG59 and refused to have it upgraded to RG6 then you get what you deserve. $300K will just about buy you a starter townhome in this part of the country. .

300K in this area is a nice house, since cost of living is pretty low in South Central Kansas.

If you build a new house and the contractor uses RG59, I'd kick him right in the nuts.

And you are right, after 25 years in the house, things go old and technology changes. So you would expect to re-wire. But on a new house, the things should be good for plenty of years.

#11 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

Copper clad is fine and in spec for dish installs. They don't use voltage switching as part of their signaling for any recent receivers like DirecTV does still for anything non SWM.

#12 OFFLINE   AZsatTech

AZsatTech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

The only approved cable for DirecTV is Perfectvision solid copper center conductor, 60% braid, 3Ghz swept tested.

Regardless of what brand you buy, make sure it meets the above requirements, and you will be fine. Also make sure you only use approved/quality connectors and F81 barrels.
DirecTV Installer

#13 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

If you're using RG56 then you have the wrong type of cable for TV reception. It's designed for ham radios and such and has an impedance of 50-ohms vs. 75-ohms for RG59 and RG6.

I'm not familiar with an RG56 coaxial cable. There is an RG58 which is a 50-ohm cable typically with 0.195" outside diameter that is used in the two-way radio business.
Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

#14 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

Well, enough of these upset people called the contractor and began complaining about the cable that was put in during the pre wire. Many of the contractors are now putting in the !00% copper. Over time I should be decorating homes less and less with new wire.:)

Wish that was happening around here. When I found out my new house was going to be pre-wired with copper clad, I complained to the builder who went back to his low-voltage sub-contractor who reported that copper clad was just fine for satellite installations. When I objected, I was basically told to pound sand.

I'm in the process of replacing the copper clad with the PerfectVision solid copper cable that DirecTV specifies. Luckily, I have a one-story house with a full, unfinished basement so access is not too bad.
Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

spam firewall